• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Good jobs going unfulfilled filled? Yes definitely, I have been posting on multiple sighs for a skilled position that could earn 50,000 to 100,000 a year maybe more and get no response. People don't want to work and young people don't want to train.
    Now granted that was for a trained professional but even when I run an ad for an apprentice for to train someone for the above mentioned job nobody applies. I have advertised at $12.00 an hour for an entry level job that requires little to no skill or tools and would train them for a career better than tech colleges just so I would get some apps but nothing.
    When unemployment pays 10 -12 dollars an hour once you factor in taxes it seems many people are content with that and have no desire to advance and contribute to society as a productive member.

There are a few out there willing and wanting to work and the jabs are there, but all I hear and see is" I can't find a job" to me translates into I have grown accustom to living off of others and really like the freedom of not being tied down to a job.

There are so many excuses someone can use and the liberal government capitalizes on this growing segment of the population and feeds those excuses and enables those that can but don't want to work.

There are people out the that need and deserve public assistance but my opinion is there are more that don't yet they get it and cry for it the loudest....
    i would take you up on that if i was closer, and didn't have my foot in the door at crown forklift right now, sounds like a one hell of a good job to me. being 21 anyone that is willing to offer training im up for.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Or the world changes under them. How'd you like to be the guy who just graduated with a computer science degree the day after the dot.com bubble burst? To suddenly have the market flooded with experienced people recently out of work? To have J1 visas drive wages down? To have outsourcing to foreign nations drive wages down?

What do you reckon an astrophysicist's job prospects are like today?

I'm not trying to pooh on vocational school, though it seems you're wanting to pooh on college. I think both are good options if you do the due diligence when choosing a career.

I used to work in a vocational field, and I've spent a good deal of time unemployed while in that field. Sometimes the world just changes under you. So, go to college, don't go to college, I'm not universally advocating either. Just have a plan.

I decided to change careers, ironically as a Software Engineer. That meant going to university. The dot.com bubble was hard times for sure. Outsourcing made it worse for awhile, but it wasn't the end of US programming jobs that you read about in the news. The industry has been pretty strong for the last decade and booming for the last few years. It seems all the "outsourcing" fears created a shortage of CS grads. We're having a tough time finding qualified Software Engineers. It's a tight market.

I have no regrets working hard and paying for my education. I love what I do, I work for a great company, I'm happy with the compensation. That's the point. When deciding on changing careers after 20 years in a vocation, the advice I finally took was essentially this. "Find something that you can make money doing that you'd do for free if you didn't HAVE to earn a living." Maybe you need some vocational training, maybe you need a college degree, maybe you need no training at all.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Just have a plan.

My advice isn't so much of a plan. Plans are good, but as we've seen in recent economy nothing is foolproof. I try to advocate to the younger crowds that they need to focus on learning. Learn as many principles, skills, techniques, etc. that you can regardless of the field, industry, or job you are doing. Truly LEARN them....meaning not just how to apply them, but why and when. Look at everything as a learning experience. This gives you the ability to be versatile and ultimately that is what's going to keep you employable regardless of the economy. Then it's just a matter of knowing how to market yourself and skills/knowledge you've acquired to prospective employers should you need new employment.

Example: most people tend to look at menial jobs such as grocery bagger as dead end and not all that valuable. However, taking on such a job with the outlook such as I describe will enable you to learn incredibly important skills that can apply to a variety of fields throughout your life. You learn things such as positive customer service skills; how to effectively communicate with a variety of people under good and bad conditions. This skill alone will take you a long way in any career path.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My advice isn't so much of a plan. Plans are good, but as we've seen in recent economy nothing is foolproof. I try to advocate to the younger crowds that they need to focus on learning. Learn as many principles, skills, techniques, etc. that you can regardless of the field, industry, or job you are doing. Truly LEARN them....meaning not just how to apply them, but why and when. Look at everything as a learning experience. This gives you the ability to be versatile and ultimately that is what's going to keep you employable regardless of the economy. Then it's just a matter of knowing how to market yourself and skills/knowledge you've acquired to prospective employers should you need new employment.

Example: most people tend to look at menial jobs such as grocery bagger as dead end and not all that valuable. However, taking on such a job with the outlook such as I describe will enable you to learn incredibly important skills that can apply to a variety of fields throughout your life. You learn things such as positive customer service skills; how to effectively communicate with a variety of people under good and bad conditions. This skill alone will take you a long way in any career path.

I agree. Growing that kind of attitude and learning those kinds of soft skills should definitely be part of the plan.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    All they HAVE to do is learn skills that are valuable to employers. It would serve them best in the long run to learn skills that can apply across industries/fields. None of those skills will inherently help them get the job. They will also have to learn how to sell themselves to the employer; convince the company that their skills will benefit the company.

Most people lack in one of these two necessary areas. They either don't have the skills the employer wants/needs, or they don't know how to market their individual skills and correlate how they will benefit their potential employer in order to get the job.

Making both the skillset itself and the ability to market it (demonstrate how it benefits the company) necessary knowledge for getting and keeping employment.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I went to a small county school, fewer than 100 in my graduating class. In the late 70's, I was on the college prep track, but I fought against my guidance counselor to take classes in a declining industrial ed program. We had a complete wood shop, metal shop, auto mechanic shop, welding room and electrics lab. My counselor advised me that I needed to be "well-rounded" in academics if I wanted to make it in college. I told her I knew that, but most days the only thing that even got me to school was my shop classes.

My intended college degree was industrial tech, but I soon saw the writing on the wall and switched to Biology education, then to straight clinical and field Biology. I went back to my old high school some years later to find that the auto shop had been converted into a large weight-training and work-out room for the athletes, the welding room was a storage room, and they had sold the car lift and all of the metal and wood-working machines. For one industrial arts class, students took pre-cut wood pieces and glued them together to build little model houses and buildings.

When I entered the working world in the mid 80's, jobs were then very hard to find too. In my somewhat eclectic career path after college, I spent some years doing farm work, building maintenance, remodeling carpentry, plumbing, roofing, and landscaping work before graduating to a job doing engineering and materials quality control work on some of the larger buildings in Indy. Those things had little to do with my college degree and more to do with my solid industrial ed foundation from high school.

I eventually ended up in a science field related to my Biology degree, but one of my strengths has always been my practical and mechanical skills (and not being afraid to work hard and get my hands dirty) that I bring to an otherwise clinical and academic environment. It turns out that my guidance counselor was half-right. I needed to be well-rounded, just not in the things she would have had me doing. And to think that none of the students that have graduated from my old high school since the early 90's even get to make that choice is just sad.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One of the big problems I see with college is that too many people have unrealistic expectations when they choose to attend. Far too many are expecting to be prepared for a specific career or job, and with some rare exceptions, that just doesn't happen.

College should be about education and personal development more so than career-specific training. Being exposed to a lot of ideas and ultimately learning how to learn new things, and hopefully how to teach yourself, are the key things to take away from college.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-

Every (recent - in the last decade or so) course I've ever taken when I ask the questions why & when; all I get is, don't bother worrying about it, just learn how was the lecturer's response.

To this day I am sometimes uncertain when or why I should apply certain theories or approaches to various problems. It seems "critical thinking" is just a buzzword these days and has never really been taught.

I have been fortunate in my career in that Bell Labs took a chance hiring me with no degree and being self-taught in electronics. I never said "No" to any request and volunteered to learn new skills and took on projects I had no experience with and I was rewarded with being given regular raises/promotions and sent to various technical classes paid for by the company. I started as a menial electronic assembler on contract and worked my way up to Senior Electronic Technician and later got hired as a Technical Staff Member. I lasted 20 years until there was no longer a "Bell Labs" (or any place doing R&D here) anymore.

I haven't found a company in the last decade willing to even meet me halfway on experience & training. They want people who know it ALL (or at least think they do) now. At least I was able to train myself in computer tech as a UNIX admin and it pays well.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Every (recent - in the last decade or so) course I've ever taken when I ask the questions why & when; all I get is, don't bother worrying about it, just learn how was the lecturer's response.

To this day I am sometimes uncertain when or why I should apply certain theories or approaches to various problems. It seems "critical thinking" is just a buzzword these days and has never really been taught.

I have been fortunate in my career in that Bell Labs took a chance hiring me with no degree and being self-taught in electronics. I never said "No" to any request and volunteered to learn new skills and took on projects I had no experience with and I was rewarded with being given regular raises/promotions and sent to various technical classes paid for by the company. I started as a menial electronic assembler on contract and worked my way up to Senior Electronic Technician and later got hired as a Technical Staff Member. I lasted 20 years until there was no longer a "Bell Labs" (or any place doing R&D here) anymore.

I haven't found a company in the last decade willing to even meet me halfway on experience & training. They want people who know it ALL (or at least think they do) now. At least I was able to train myself in computer tech as a UNIX admin and it pays well.
    Everything is circumstantial. We can talk about specific instances all day long to no end, but without having the accurate feedback from those on the other side of the aisle, all we have is speculation.

Not all teachers teach the same. Not all teachers like what they do or are good at it. Schools have budgets to abide by. Does that play a role in the quality of teacher they get? Perhaps. There's just so many aspect which could contribute to any one instance it's difficult to apply to an overall context.

I think I was fortunate in that as I was going through school I was catching the "back end" of teachers who valued truth, hard work, and critical thinking. Thinking back, I can remember having some teachers who did not but what I learned from the rest seemed to stick more. I can see where it is likely/possible the demographics have shifted today and those teachers are either few and far between, or kids are more prone to believing what the other teachers are telling them based on their parental guidance.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Ok...I tried to Wade through this but the tiny font on my phone is making me blind.
    If you want to understand the fix we're in go watch Mike Rowe on TedTalks...in his monologue he speaks of our society's loss of repect for our skilled workers ....or work itself. We're so buffaloed by degreed dipsticks that we've forgotten the knowledge attained by experience on the job.
    I can tell you from 25 years in mechanical maintenance that most of the "Engineers " we hire don't have any practical experience.
    Most are right out of college and I doubt they could put a chain back on a bicycle . We need to get back to the old 'do it yourself ' ethic of the '50s.
    Maybe we'd see a rise in the pride of workmanship in this country.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Mike sat down for an interview with Nick Gillespie and it's a good one. Kind of long, but well worth the watch.

[video=youtube_share;qzKzu86Agg0]http://youtu.be/qzKzu86Agg0[/video]

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    But I've seen guys with 4 year elec degrees that can't check current with a meter.
    Or they are great at DESIGNING a circuit, but they can't DIAGNOSE what's wrong with an existing one.

I know where you are coming from.
    I have an associates in electronics from ITT...no BS classes.
    After hiring in at my current employer back in 85, the guys with 4 year electronics degrees were considered to be the better employees, but most of them didnt even know the color code or what 1000pf meant. meanwhile, I was troubleshooting circles around them but was the slowest to advance cause I "just had a tech school degree."

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    When people complain about no jobs most are complaining that there are no jobs that pay high wages and expect little or nothing from you.

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    In this thread-
    Durn kids these days are lazy and stupid. Oh, and they need to get off my lawn!

I think some key factors are being glossed over here.

One is pay for these fields. Lots of these companies are crying not because they can't find certain workers, it's because they can't find these workers who will work for next to nothing. Why would I learn a trade to earn a nickel more than minimum? They don't pay like they used to.
    It even affects white collar. They've been complaining there's no engineers for years now. There's thousands out there underemployed or unemployed. Why do they complain there's not enough? So they can fill the positions with H1B visas for a fraction of the cost.

Bottom line is if there aren't enough of what you want, you'll have to pay more to attract qualified candidates. Supply and demand in it's simplest form.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In this thread-
    Durn kids these days are lazy and stupid. Oh, and they need to get off my lawn!

I think some key factors are being glossed over here.

One is pay for these fields. Lots of these companies are crying not because they can't find certain workers, it's because they can't find these workers who will work for next to nothing. Why would I learn a trade to earn a nickel more than minimum? They don't pay like they used to.
    It even affects white collar. They've been complaining there's no engineers for years now. There's thousands out there underemployed or unemployed. Why do they complain there's not enough? So they can fill the positions with H1B visas for a fraction of the cost.

Bottom line is if there aren't enough of what you want, you'll have to pay more to attract qualified candidates. Supply and demand in it's simplest form.

I work in a steel mill. And they pay a lot better than minimum. And still can't find craftsmen.

Top Bottom