• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When people complain about no jobs most are complaining that there are no jobs that pay high wages and expect little or nothing from you.

I see it every day. Starting pay is $15.78/hr, and these kids, fresh out of high school, start crying if they're told to grab a broom.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mike Rowe is quite a refreshing change.

I love this exchange from the questioner (JB) and Mike (MR) on a chat:
    JB: They talked JOBS,JOBS, JOBS and all they've done is help their rich cronies, obstruct job making bills, make higher education unaffordable for everyone BUT their rich supporters!!

MR: I get it. The Republicans are bad. (I know this because you have use both CAPS and exclamation points!!)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At a job fair in March a large employer in southern Indiana took in 136 applications of which 4 passed the drug screen and showed up for work. With odds like that what do you do?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Forbes Welcome

Why We Desperately Need to Bring Back Vocational Training.

But you see, at the very least, that would require parents and guidance counselors to have frank and practical discussions with kids who would be better served with a vocational track than college prep.

In 2016, I don't think we do "frank and practical" anymore.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But you see, at the very least, that would require parents and guidance counselors to have frank and practical discussions with kids who would be better served with a vocational track than college prep.

In 2016, I don't think we do "frank and practical" anymore.

Collectively maybe not. But individually we do. And I still can't talk my kid out of wanting his name plastered on a bus with a cheesy ambulance chaser grin.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Collectively maybe not. But individually we do. And I still can't talk my kid out of wanting his name plastered on a bus with a cheesy ambulance chaser grin.

That's fine if that what he chooses.
    But schools and some parents act like college is the ONLY option.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I know way too many parents who would never tell their kids that college isn't the right choice.

My parents never pushed me towards or away from a path. My Dad only told me that I would have to acquire skills "that no one can take away from you" meaning that I would need marketable skills that I could take to numerous employers so I wouldn't be dependent on a plant or a mill to stay open.

Good advice.

For him, it was electronics and software. His advice was put to the test when Bendix (rather, the Carter Administration) shut down the missile program he was working on and he was out of a job. Eleven moths later, he was working on medical instruments and devices and retired from that 25+ years later. My Dad's post-high school consisted of a 1 year grain elevator management course at Michigan State, electronics school at DeVry in Chicago, and a little from Uncle Sam (having completed electronic training before enlisting allowed his to skip a grade or two. He was a Spec 5 in under 2 years)

For someone else, a good friend of mine, it was being the best machinist there was. He can make anything. He learned it on the job and has updated his skills as technology has changed. Of course he never went to colege.

For another friend, it was HVAC. He and his fmily own a respected company in Niles, MI, and they do just fine- again, no college.

For me, it was college and graduate school. I do OK.

I am more than a little peeved by those who have made the college degree the be-all-end-all. It can be important, but not for everyone. not even close.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If more people approached college as education and personal development including developing the ability to learn new things efficiently, it would be a better situation. As it is, for most it's a mixture of ineffective training for a job they may or may not get and a time play. If you want to train for a job, do it for real and make it count!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't believe this, but I agree with Rhino.

There are college degrees that are well worth pursuing, if that is your skillset/passion/calling/whatever. Some are specific, and change with demand (pharmacy is still rather hot). Others are more general, but set you up for future success (STEM programs), as long as you stay away from the theoretical stuff.

Others, well, I get why folks want to pursue them. I really do. But you better be damned good at it, have a "plan b", and/or enjoy poverty. Not everyone can perform on Broadway.

In any case, if you waste away your college years getting "well rounded", drinking, hanging with new friends, and such (regardless of your major), don't be surprised when someone that worked their way through community college blows passed you.

Top Bottom