• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I saw reckless driving. Speeding, following too closely, sudden lane changes. Then he doesn't stop when the lights come on. You stop when the lights come on, not wherever is convenient for you. That would have been a high-risk, AKA "felony" stop for me.

Also, I probably would have arrested for reckless driving, and impounded the bike.

really? I saw a ton of UTTs but I didn’t see anything that I consider to be misdemeanor level, nor anything close to justifying a felony stop. That’s just my opinion of course.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Then he doesn't stop when the lights come on. You stop when the lights come on, not wherever is convenient for you....

Really??? Several times in my life when I was being pulled over, I proceeded farther down the road until there was a place that was safe for the officer and myself and that wouldn't block traffic. The police have always seemed to appreciate me doing this.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    really? I saw a ton of UTTs but I didn’t see anything that I consider to be misdemeanor level, nor anything close to justifying a felony stop. That’s just my opinion of course.

The way he took off and was weaving in and out of traffic, and the speed he was travelling, I'm sure I could make a good case for a reckless driving arrest.

He didn't stop for the emergency lights. He kept driving, for quite a considerable distance. He wasn't just rounding the corner. I would definitely conduct a high risk stop and wait for additional units and detain the guy.

I don't know what all the officer saw, but it sounded like he saw most of the erratic behavior, including the weaving. Excessive speed + unsafe lane change is reckless in my book.

But I wasn't there. All I know is what I saw. I'm pretty sure that's what I would have done, but I can't really know without having been there.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Really??? Several times in my life when I was being pulled over, I proceeded farther down the road until there was a place that was safe for the officer and myself and that wouldn't block traffic. The police have always seemed to appreciate me doing this.

I don't know about other officers, but I turn the lights on when and where I want you to stop. It is not your decision where you stop. All the cops I know agree with that.

When you do that, I get prepared for a pursuit. I had one guy pull into a gas station parking lot, then take off on foot. If he would have stopped where I wanted him to stop, he would have had fewer options on where to run.

One of my friends stopped a car, and it slowed down for a couple blocks before it stopped. The driver was eating the meth he had on him. He was arrested, and taken to the hospital from the jail. He died a couple days later.

When you don't immediately stop, I prepare myself for something bad. You will be ordered out of the car at gunpoint. You will be placed in handcuffs.

But that's just me. I prefer to be overly cautious and go home at the end of my night.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    And tale his gun and wallet for officer safety.

Then the discussion would have been lively.

ETA now I get your INGO name.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I don't know about other officers, but I turn the lights on when and where I want you to stop. It is not your decision where you stop. All the cops I know agree with that.

When you do that, I get prepared for a pursuit. I had one guy pull into a gas station parking lot, then take off on foot. If he would have stopped where I wanted him to stop, he would have had fewer options on where to run.

One of my friends stopped a car, and it slowed down for a couple blocks before it stopped. The driver was eating the meth he had on him. He was arrested, and taken to the hospital from the jail. He died a couple days later.

When you don't immediately stop, I prepare myself for something bad. You will be ordered out of the car at gunpoint. You will be placed in handcuffs.

But that's just me. I prefer to be overly cautious and go home at the end of my night.

I have worked as a medic for forty years and each time I have been stopped, I have looked for a safe place to pull over.

If you ever decide to stop me, flash your headlights four times and I will stand on my brakes....

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    How does one stand on the brakes driving an ambulance? Doesn't sh17 go flying? If not, show me how you set up your kit! Must be lots of medical tape on everything!

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Were you the officer on this stop?
    What was that saying again*** Oh yea, a nervous cop is an arresty cop.
    https://reason.com/2015/04/03/indiana-nurse-resisting-arrest/

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Note to self...

If I see lights behind me, I lock up the brakes, and I stop in the middle of the road. I don't want the cop to drag me out at gunpoint because he thinks I might be running.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Note to self...

If I see lights behind me, I lock up the brakes, and I stop in the middle of the road. I don't want the cop to drag me out at gunpoint because he thinks I might be running.

Make sure you hold your gun out the window, too, so he knows you're armed.

Seriously, when you see the lights, pull over to the right, and stop.

I stopped a guy for speeding. He decided to go ahead keep driving, and pull into his driveway, which was a few hundred yards from where I lit him up. I wrote him for speeding, and for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Note to self...

That must be what the majority of drivers are thinking then because NO ONE pulls over for emergency vehicles. Nothing like running hot and having to play "dodge the cars" because everyone freezes in the street...ugh.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    That must be what the majority of drivers are thinking then because NO ONE pulls over for emergency vehicles. Nothing like running hot and having to play "dodge the cars" because everyone freezes in the street...ugh.

In my experience, and I'm sure yours as well, it's sometimes faster to run without lights.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I probably stop more cars than most, and I’ll say that I’m now accustomed to the overwhelming stupidity of the motoring public. I feel like I can tell the difference between potential shenanigans and simply stupid drivers. Not pulling over immediately, on its face, is not worthy of pointing my gun at you. Not saying it’s never ever appropriate, but there’s gotta be more to it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Interesting. Your job is to serve and protect. Expecting someone to immediately stop without consideration for safety is, in fact, illegal. The Rules of road also tell you to pull over to a "safe" spot. The other thought I have is what if the person does not see your lights "when you turn them on"? What if they are deaf and do not hear the siren?

Personally, I will pull over in the next spot I feel safe. If by chance anything would happen to me because of your rigid stance on stopping immediately, safe or not, I believe a good lawyer would have your badge.

I strongly support officers of the law but not so much for those who feel they are above the law.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

CPT is right, officers usually will decide where the safest place to conduct the stop is. I had no problem following someone a bit, until I found the right spot to pull them over. Officers don't need to immediately pull you over after witnessing an infraction. This idea carries over to high risk stops, when officer upon identifying a suspect, won't immediately pull them over until there's backup and/or/maybe in an area where if things go sideways, the danger to the public is minimized.

Top Bottom