• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting. Your job is to serve and protect. Expecting someone to immediately stop without consideration for safety is, in fact, illegal. The Rules of road also tell you to pull over to a "safe" spot. The other thought I have is what if the person does not see your lights "when you turn them on"? What if they are deaf and do not hear the siren?

Personally, I will pull over in the next spot I feel safe. If by chance anything would happen to me because of your rigid stance on stopping immediately, safe or not, I believe a good lawyer would have your badge.

I strongly support officers of the law but not so much for those who feel they are above the law.

Doubtful, especially if the officer can articulate why he attempted to pull you over when he did. I think you misunderstood CPT. He stating that he's the one deciding where the safe place is to conduct the traffic stop, not the driver who committed the infraction.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Doubtful, especially if the officer can articulate why he attempted to pull you over when he did. I think you misunderstood CPT. He stating that he's the one deciding where the safe place is to conduct the traffic stop, not the driver who committed the infraction.

I'll accept I may have misinterpreted his post, none the less, I need to also feel safe. (lighting, traffic, crime area, and so on)

I'll admit, I cannot remember the last time I was ever pulled over. I believe I am a pretty safe driver. What I find interesting since moving to Indy, is people LOVE to speed, especially on the highway .....not just a few miles over, but FAST. My wife and I talk about it all the time; "where are all the cops?".....

FYI, I respect all the cops, woudl not want their job - my hat is off to y'all (well, most of y'all)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll accept I may have misinterpreted his post, none the less, I need to also feel safe. (lighting, traffic, crime area, and so on)

I'll admit, I cannot remember the last time I was ever pulled over. I believe I am a pretty safe driver. What I find interesting since moving to Indy, is people LOVE to speed, especially on the highway .....not just a few miles over, but FAST. My wife and I talk about it all the time; "where are all the cops?".....

FYI, I respect all the cops, woudl not want their job - my hat is off to y'all (well, most of y'all)

Life in the big city runs in high gear compared to rural environments. Always has. Places to go and people to see. Seems like everyone is running late.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In my experience, and I'm sure yours as well, it's sometimes faster to run without lights.

It may be faster but it endangers more people. I consider it as unlawful speeding if you are over the speed limit without lights. Please pull yourself over and write a ticket. Thanks.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My truck broke down, so my wife and I are sharing her car. She has to be at the Hospital at 6:30. It is a 20 minute drive, so we leave at 5:30 (we like to be early) (that used to be a thing). I drive a leisurely 60-65 on the express way in the far right lane 200 ft behind the semi in front of me. Traffic in the other lanes is moving faster and that is OK, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Somehow my 5-10 miles over the speed limit infuriates some drivers and they get 1 car length behind me and seem to try to push me. Today two cars passed me on the right shoulder. There was plenty of room and very little traffic in the 3 lanes to my left.

I know I am an old man and I should just die and make room for the young.

Kirk's earlier post had a line that will never be received by the young. LEAVE ON TIME.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My truck broke down, so my wife and I are sharing her car. She has to be at the Hospital at 6:30. It is a 20 minute drive, so we leave at 5:30 (we like to be early) (that used to be a thing). I drive a leisurely 60-65 on the express way in the far right lane 200 ft behind the semi in front of me. Traffic in the other lanes is moving faster and that is OK, it doesn't bother me in the least.

Somehow my 5-10 miles over the speed limit infuriates some drivers and they get 1 car length behind me and seem to try to push me. Today two cars passed me on the right shoulder. There was plenty of room and very little traffic in the 3 lanes to my left.

I know I am an old man and I should just die and make room for the young.

Kirk's earlier post had a line that will never be received by the young. LEAVE ON TIME.

I usually will just be "following traffic" at whatever speed they are going, and it is surprising that how fast traffic flows on 65 down to Nashville, TN.
    My "new" 2015 Subi Forester is supposed to get 30 mpg on the highway, but it only gets 25, maybe 26 mpg on such trips (I get 24-25 mpg around Indy).
    We will get 30 mph driving down Franklin to get to Greenwood driving 40 mph.
    Therefore, the 2nd time at Xmas when we made the TN run in the Subi, I was bound and determined to go only the speed limit and not get sucked into following traffic. :dunno:, in order to get better mileage (my other hobby.)
    I don't think I lasted getting past the County Line exit with traffic blazing along.
    When I had the Corolla that got nearly 40 mpg I didn't mind "following traffic."

I don't like to follow too close behind another person (not logical to me), but my otherwise calm, sedate and rational wife will get on me if I allow more than a very few car lengths get between me and the person ahead of me; go figure. :dunno:
    What was it? 1 car length for every 10 mph you're traveling in Driver's Ed in the late 60s?

When I grew up, we had to be :15 early for everything. I am much the same, maybe only :10 now. :laugh:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I use the 2 second rule when dry and 3 second in adverse weather.

If I see a driver trying to change lanes I let off on the gas and allow them to come in. I turn mu lights on and off to let semi's know that they have enough space to get over.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I use the 2 second rule when dry and 3 second in adverse weather.

If I see a driver trying to change lanes I let off on the gas and allow them to come in. I turn mu lights on and off to let semi's know that they have enough space to get over.

:thumbsup:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

You can always call the police.

Oh wait...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

If you don’t feel safe pulling over directly, you had better at least acknowledge that you’re being pulled over and slow way down, put on your flashers etc.... just continuing to drive is how things go sideways fast.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have had my (more than) fair share. Most I deserved. Some.....well, uh.....maybe. But what you drive, how you drive it, how you address the LEO involved have a lot to do with the outcome.

Now, that said I have gotten some serious more than fair breaks in my day as well.....:):
    Never have I been written, that wasn’t deserved. MANY times I haven’t been written for something well deserved.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Interesting. Your job is to serve and protect. Expecting someone to immediately stop without consideration for safety is, in fact, illegal. The Rules of road also tell you to pull over to a "safe" spot. The other thought I have is what if the person does not see your lights "when you turn them on"? What if they are deaf and do not hear the siren?

Personally, I will pull over in the next spot I feel safe. If by chance anything would happen to me because of your rigid stance on stopping immediately, safe or not, I believe a good lawyer would have your badge.

I strongly support officers of the law but not so much for those who feel they are above the law.

I will activate my lights when I want you to stop. If we're in an area that isn't safe to stop in, I will wait. Remember, I don't want to be standing on the side of the road where I'm likely to get hit. I don't stop cars on turns or on hills. I wait until I'm somewhere level where I can be seen, and where you have room to safely move over.

If you fail to stop within a reasonable time, I call in the stop as a pursuit. When you finally stop, I'm more than likely going to order you out of the vehicle and handcuff you. Once I figure out that you you aren't a criminal, and you just thought you knew better than me about where the safest spot to stop was, I will release you, and send you on your way with a couple citations.

Another thing to consider, is that the officer may not be stopping you. Maybe he wants you to pull over to the right and stop so he can safely pass you and get to a call. When you see the lights, you pull over. Failure to do so is an infraction, and it carries a much steeper fine than speeding or other such traffic violations.

I never said, nor suggested, that I was above the law. You can hire the best lawyer you can afford, and I'll still be right, and you will still have to pay your tickets, and I will still have my badge. I don't do anything, on or off duty, that I cannot articulately justify.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    If you fail to stop within a reasonable time, I call in the stop as a pursuit. When you finally stop, I'm more than likely going to order you out of the vehicle and handcuff you. Once I figure out that you you aren't a criminal, and you just thought you knew better than me about where the safest spot to stop was, I will release you, and send you on your way with a couple citations.

Another thing to consider, is that the officer may not be stopping you. Maybe he wants you to pull over to the right and stop so he can safely pass you and get to a call. When you see the lights, you pull over. Failure to do so is an infraction, and it carries a much steeper fine than speeding or other such traffic violations.

I never said, nor suggested, that I was above the law. You can hire the best lawyer you can afford, and I'll still be right, and you will still have to pay your tickets, and I will still have my badge. I don't do anything, on or off duty, that I cannot articulately justify.

Sometimes I feel people (some, definitely not all) believe they're perfect in all they do and say. Some have a badge to prove it. I'll leave it at that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry Zig, it was a cop that started the jackboot talk. I usually like him too.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Sorry about that. Just adding my observations.

Personally, I don't like seeing motorcycle crashes. I added a commentary about how the biker was behaving recklessly, and we lost control from there.

But, such is INGO. We can rarely stay on topic for a whole page.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I agree with the recklessness of the cyclist. It just seemed to me that It took a while for him to notice the lights, I did not heat an audible siren. I thought that when he did see the lights, he slowed down and turned onto a side street.

I have done the same thing on a busy road.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been casually watching this unfold. No lines were crossed.Opinions were shared. How one LEO does his job is not the same way others would I am sure. We are all diverse in mindset. That said lets respect that the best we can please. No one is off the reservation.

Top Bottom