• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Was talking to an IMPD friend of mine and Bob's and he even agreed that unloaded you are screwed when it comes to the Police... I am sure he will say something. We then got to talking about LTCH's and he took the chance to rub in that he does not need one and can carry in Chicago..... haha.

PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    When I was searching the laws regarding handguns, I think I remember a clause which allows a purchaser to transport the firearm to his place of dwelling without fear of repercussions. It's very possible I'm thinking if another states laws. Could somebody verify?

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1) marshals;
    (2) sheriffs;
    (3) the commissioner of the department of correction or persons authorized by him in writing to carry firearms;
    (4) judicial officers;
    (5) law enforcement officers;
    (6) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves while they are on duty;
    (7) regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive such weapons from the United States or from this state who are at or are going to or from their place of assembly or target practice;
    (8) employees of the United States duly authorized to carry handguns;
    (9) employees of express companies when engaged in company business;
    (10) any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms or the agent or representative of any such person having in his possession, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of that business; or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Dave, EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE!!!!!! And again EDUCATE!!!! I really hope you educated your friend on Indiana law and the LTCH. Remember, a gun shop will sell you any gun you want and could care less if you know the law or not. I know that the last time I was afforded the opportunity to educate an uninformed new gun owner was a guy I met at the local gun store, he as about 65 years old, and had a pistol that he had received from an inheritance. We talked for about 45 mins and I attempted to educate him about all aspects of Indiana handgun law. He was very appreciative for all my information and he was going to go home so he and his wife could go and start the process of getting their LTCH's I did help him break down his pistol and ran a zip tie thru it and we put it in his trunk, he bought a ammo can, and had no ammo in the gun or car, so we put the gun in the can, then closed the can, and locked it in the trunk of his car. I told him that technically he was still in violation of Indiana Code for carrying a handgun without a license, I wanted to tell him that he would probably be ok, but I didnt want to overstep my bounds, and that he needed to take the pistol home immediately and not bring it back out until he had his LTCH. He again was very appreciative and went on his way. After he left I thought that maybe I should have offered to transport the gun back to his house and give it back to him, but honestly I figured he would be fine with it. Anyway, again, I do hope that you educated your friend.

INGunGuy

why did you break the gun down and zip tie it? And then tell him technically he was still in violation of the law? He can legally carry it home unloaded in a secure wrapper.
    I'm also glad you know how things work in all gun shops. I'll tell our employees to not pass out the info and try to inform anymore, since you say none do. :rolleyes:

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    why did you break the gun down and zip tie it? And then tell him technically he was still in violation of the law? He can legally carry it home unloaded in a secure wrapper.
    I'm also glad you know how things work in all gun shops. I'll tell our employees to not pass out the info and try to inform anymore, since you say none do. :rolleyes:

I broke the gun down and zip tied it because I wanted to make the gun as unfireable as possible. I told him he was technically in violation of the law, because he brought the gun into the shop with him, if you read my post you would have seen that he received the gun as an inheritance. So he technically broke the law by even brining it to the shop since IC 35-47-2-2 doesnt cover his situation

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Well he neither purchased or brought the weapon in for repair. As I stated I thought about offering to take the gun with me to his house, but decided he would be ok on his trip home.

Also, what is the reason for the smart-alek remark about telling your employees to not pass out information? I was NOT a employee of the shop only a customer giving GOOD advice to a uninformed citizen. Oh and to let you know, I frequent 7 gun shops in the area, and 1 other about 15 miles away, and NONE OF THEM, have EVER given me the correct information when it came to carrying a firearm, most of the time they tell me it is ok to carry as long as it is locked up and unloaded. Hell, even a sheriffs deputy told me it is ok to carry as long as it is unloaded and locked up, and he was an employee of a shop.

If gun shop employees want to pass out correct information, fine, pass out IC 35-47-2 and leave it at that, even some of the condensed versions that I have seen on INGO are fine also, but dont pass out incorrect information that can jam someone up.

INGunGuy

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I broke the gun down and zip tied it because I wanted to make the gun as unfireable as possible. I told him he was technically in violation of the law, because he brought the gun into the shop with him, if you read my post you would have seen that he received the gun as an inheritance. So he technically broke the law by even brining it to the shop since IC 35-47-2-2 doesnt cover his situation

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons

Well he neither purchased or brought the weapon in for repair. As I stated I thought about offering to take the gun with me to his house, but decided he would be ok on his trip home.

Also, what is the reason for the smart-alek remark about telling your employees to not pass out information? I was NOT a employee of the shop only a customer giving GOOD advice to a uninformed citizen. Oh and to let you know, I frequent 7 gun shops in the area, and 1 other about 15 miles away, and NONE OF THEM, have EVER given me the correct information when it came to carrying a firearm, most of the time they tell me it is ok to carry as long as it is locked up and unloaded. Hell, even a sheriffs deputy told me it is ok to carry as long as it is unloaded and locked up, and he was an employee of a shop.

If gun shop employees want to pass out correct information, fine, pass out IC 35-47-2 and leave it at that, even some of the condensed versions that I have seen on INGO are fine also, but dont pass out incorrect information that can jam someone up.

INGunGuy

I missed that he had brought the gun in with him, yes there was no technically about it, he was in violation.

My smart alek remark was in response to this

Remember, a gun shop will sell you any gun you want and could care less if you know the law or not

you have never been in every store, nor our store and I don't appreciate being lumped into the ones who don't care.
    ATFConsumer was kind enough to give us literature to pass out with IN code. We have classes that they can sign up for with NRA instructors for new owners. We pass out pamphlets for the Indiana Firearms Law Reference Manual by Bryan Ciyou and also sell the book in our store. Think our employees pass out bad info? If they do, they are fired and all of our employees are posters here and they now see it in print. They knew better before anyway.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    He just showed you the pistol when he saw you?
    Was in in public or in a private house?
    Carrying a gun without a LTCH is stupid enough but showing it to people is even worse.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    I told him that technically he was still in violation of Indiana Code for carrying a handgun without a license

Not true.
    Without copying and pasting the entire Indiana code on handgun possession, remember these exceptions when you CAN carry a handgun without any sort of permit in Indiana.
    1. Taking the handgun to your primary residence (not back-and-forth, from work to home --that is a no-no)
    2. Taking the handgun to your work establishment (and you can have the gun with you on that property for protection)
    3. Taking to to a PLACE OF REPAIR.

So if you were checking lubing and otherwise working on this firearm, then that is a "place of repair". Taking the gun from there to his home is completely legal.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Carrying a gun without a LTCH is stupid enough but showing it to people is even worse.

Umm...

The guy didn't know he was violating a law. I'm not going to say he was stupid but he was ignorant. Ignorant of the laws on the carry of handguns. Just like A LOT of the people that live in IN & even come on here.

Even just like a certain someone I know of who didn't realize it was illegal to POSSESS OTF knives & "japanese" throwing stars & talked about owning them on a public forum. :rolleyes:

Glass house, my friend.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    So he technically broke the law by even brining it to the shop since IC 35-47-2-2 doesnt cover his situation

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons

Well he neither purchased or brought the weapon in for repair.

You contradict what you posted. The exact wording _does_ matter.
    As you posted the law, you can read that it never says "take to a place to GET REPAIRED". It says "or to a PLACE OF REPAIR".
    He took it to a place of repair (no reason needed, nor should it be given).

Rather than scare this guy like he was going to go to prison if he got caught, the correct response is "let's put this in a secure box, separate from ammo and out of reach of you, the driver of the car. If you happen to get pulled over, tell the officer that YOU ARE TAKING THE GUN FROM A PLACE OF REPAIR TO YOUR RESIDENCE-- AND NOT A WORD MORE".

This is the TRUTH and this is completely LEGAL transportation of a handgun in Indiana by someone without a permit.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I missed that he had brought the gun in with him, yes there was no technically about it, he was in violation.

My smart alek remark was in response to this

you have never been in every store, nor our store and I don't appreciate being lumped into the ones who don't care.
    ATFConsumer was kind enough to give us literature to pass out with IN code. We have classes that they can sign up for with NRA instructors for new owners. We pass out pamphlets for the Indiana Firearms Law Reference Manual by Bryan Ciyou and also sell the book in our store. Think our employees pass out bad info? If they do, they are fired and all of our employees are posters here and they now see it in print. They knew better before anyway.

I am sorry if I lumped your establishment in with what I have found as the norm in my area. I dont know every establishment and you are correct, it is not right of me to lump everyone together, and honestly that was not the intent of my statement. I was trying to convey that a gun shop will sell anyone a gun, it is not THEIR responsibility to make sure the consumer is aware of all applicable gun laws. My concern comes from the fact that Indiana is so strict on the carrying of firearms that I would hate to see a honest hard working person get their ability to carry a gun taken away because of them making a "dumb-ass" move without any intentions of doing so.

Thanks,

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana

I was in the gun shop, he came in, started to ask some questions of the people behind the counter, they gave him some info on the type of gun, what is fired, etc... After he was done with his transaction, I mentioned to him that I overheard him say he received the gun as a inheritance. From what I gathered by the info the gentleman needed from the shop staff, I knew he was brand new to guns. I broke the ice by asking about the gun and him inheriting it. I then inquired about if he had the LTCH, he didnt and hence the rest of our conversation. So did he show me the gun, yes, were we in public, I guess technically no, we were in a gun shop, but it was in an area where any Joe or Jane shopping could have seen and heard us.

INGunGuy

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    You contradict what you posted. The exact wording _does_ matter.
    As you posted the law, you can read that it never says "take to a place to GET REPAIRED". It says "or to a PLACE OF REPAIR".
    He took it to a place of repair (no reason needed, nor should it be given).

Rather than scare this guy like he was going to go to prison if he got caught, the correct response is "let's put this in a secure box, separate from ammo and out of reach of you, the driver of the car. If you happen to get pulled over, tell the officer that YOU ARE TAKING THE GUN FROM A PLACE OF REPAIR TO YOUR RESIDENCE-- AND NOT A WORD MORE".

This is the TRUTH and this is completely LEGAL transportation of a handgun in Indiana by someone without a permit.

Ok, again, I did not scare this gentleman, as a matter of fact he was very happy to know about the law. I did tell him that yes he was technically in violation, maybe I should have been more up front about telling him it was going from a place of repair, but he did NOT have a bill of sale or repair, from the shop, only the gun. Technicality my friend I know, and all I did was make sure a uninformed new gun owner was not in violation of the law, I guess I could have just not said anything at all, and let him go about his way, and then maybe getting caught and being an uninformed gun owner gets him jammed up.

INGunGuy

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I dont know the laws coomon knowledge that one is required to have a liecense to carry.
    I dont like LTCH infact I agree that we need to go to an Arizona style laws regarding guns. Criminals arent going to respect laws to me this only puts good people at risk.

after the door to door seizures during katrina I think the less govt knows the better.

One poster said carrying an AR15 instead of a pistol is that even allowed? wouldnt one get in alot more trouble for walking around town with one?

I just cant imagine walking into macdonalds with a shotgun or AR15 and not having the police called w/SWAT in tow

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    One major point seems to be missed by many about the transporting to a place of repair, the phrase "in a secure wrapper" precedes the entire thing.
    If it ain't in a secure wrapper, and you don't have a LTCH, you are in violation.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    One major point seems to be missed by many about the transporting to a place of repair, the phrase "in a secure wrapper" precedes the entire thing.
    If it ain't in a secure wrapper, and you don't have a LTCH, you are in violation.

Bill,

And that is the reason that I gave the guy a zip-tie and zip-tied his little pistol and put it in a ammo can he bought. I told him that it was in his best interest to go straight home, and not bring the gun with him anywhere until he had his LTCH. I did tell him about being able to bring the gun with him in a secure wrapper, etc, etc, etc to get repaired. This guy was 82 years old, and needed some good information. That is all I attempted to do, be was nice enough and appreciative for all the info, so I think I did a pretty good job of informing him, and the only thing I could have done for him to ensure all things were ok, would have been to transport his handgun back to his house. I didnt and he left, I doubt the cops are looking for 82 year old men driving your dad's Buick... LOL... Anyway, all I feel worked out for the best. I guess what I was trying to get across is no matter what if we are in the position of being able to better inform someone on Indiana gun law, then it should be everyone's obligation to do so. I know I have talked to MANY and I mean MANY people who had NO idea about Indiana Gun laws and how restrictive they are until one has their LTCH.

INGunGuy

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    One poster said carrying an AR15 instead of a pistol is that even allowed? wouldnt one get in alot more trouble for walking around town with one?

No license is required to carry long arms in public in Indiana.

You wouldn't get in any trouble at all.

Might get questioned and checked out, but there is no violation to charge you with.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    No license is required to carry long arms in public in Indiana.

You wouldn't get in any trouble at all.

Might get questioned and checked out, but there is no violation to charge you with.

No legal loop hole? Has anyone done this? in Indiana and survived to tell the tale?

Top Bottom