• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Imagine , if you will , every apartment door , every house, everywhere ,on 1/4 acre lots. All have a NO TRESPASSING sign on them "for legal reasons" . The lawyers have officially taken over this country because we let them . We do not have that now because there is a different way of thinking. There is always going to be the "Hey you kids, get off of my lawn" types. Story's of needless destruction by careless, bad , people can go on and on forever. We grew up in a simpler time. My dad was told many times to "post" the property but he would have none of it. If some (usually) kids were camping in the back tree line, he would bring them a trash bag. If he saw some one picking apples out of the orchard , he would say "come up and get some ripe ones , those on the tree are still bitter. These are sweet." The point of this is to say that no one will remember how many apples we lost that we could have sold. We will always remember that , although he was from a small town, OVER 1300 PEOPLE went to his funeral. ......... I moved away over 30 years ago and didn't know he even knew that many people !

It sounds like your father was a fine man. Most people nowadays don't exhibit that kind of character; which is why others need to post "No Trespassing" signs.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Signs won't stop idiots but at least you can say that you tried. I experience theft and vandalism on a regular basis, 1-2 times a week, everything from douchebags stealing my grill and license plates off my cars to trash being dumped in the yard. I even found some lady smoking a crack pipe in my car after she busted out the window to gain access. The sign wont help, the police rarely do anything except make the tresspasser leave. People have no respect these days.

coolcat1104

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    No tresspassing

It is a liability thing. If you have a no trespassing sign up you are supposed to be free of any legal obligation, if a trespasser is on your land and gets hurt.
    Is what I have heard anyways!:twocents:

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I even found some lady smoking a crack pipe in my car after she busted out the window to gain access.

That reminds me...one time a few years back, a neighbor called me around midnight, and asked if I was in my car. I pick up my handgun, quietly creep out the front door, and walk around to my car. I saw what was in my car, and I cough loudly, and this really dirty, trashy looking crack whore spins around and gets this amazingly scared look on her face. :D
    I ask her to stay seated in my car, call the police, and a few minutes later, she's in their back seat. The officer suggests I use some bug spray on my car seats, as he will be doing the same to his squad car later.
    Her story (summarized) was that she had to find some money, or her one-armed husband would beat her again. :n00b:
    I'm still wondering how she was getting beat by a one-armed man...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Do you mind if I ask where about your land is? My friend and I do a lot of hiking down in hoosier national forrest. I would hate to invite myself on to your land, by accident.

SW of Bedford near, but not adjacent to, some HNF land :)

Should be pretty easy....look for the "no trespassing" signs?:dunno:
    :D

Exactly. Anyone claiming to think they are on state or national forest on my place is trying to BS me because I spend a lot of time and effort every year to keep my 2+ miles of property line posted and marked. You pretty much have to walk through a virtual fence of flagging tape and signs to access the property.

On occasion I trespass on someone else's property where I haven't asked permission, sometimes by true accident. When I've been confronted I apologized profusely and asked if they'd like me to leave immediately. More often than not they relax a lot and I end up being allowed to remain on the property. Occasionally I've made a new friend.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    SW of Bedford near, but not adjacent to, some HNF land :)

Exactly. Anyone claiming to think they are on state or national forest on my place is trying to BS me because I spend a lot of time and effort every year to keep my 2+ miles of property line posted and marked. You pretty much have to walk through a virtual fence of flagging tape and signs to access the property.

On occasion I trespass on someone else's property where I haven't asked permission, sometimes by true accident. When I've been confronted I apologized profusely and asked if they'd like me to leave immediately. More often than not they relax a lot and I end up being allowed to remain on the property. Occasionally I've made a new friend.

I was concerned about maybe missing a sign (perhaps it fell or blew away etc.) But since you say you do a lot of up keep im sure my friends and I wont miss it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Of course signs won't stop them, and the most egregious violators are the last ones to be deterred, but at least you can make the argument of making a solid attempt at warning them if they need arrested, harm themselves on your property, or you have to, well, deal with them for their dangerous behavior.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Friendly or not it's a moot point.

It gives you NO legal cover!

Case in point,
    Several years ago I leased a property for deer hunting. The property was adjacent to a small housing edition that had been in disrepair for years, but still housed some 30 or so families.

I leased this property, had it in writing. I called DNR and the Sherrif one afternoon over tresspassers/poachers. People living in the "neighborhood" felt this was "their" hunting grounds because the owner was an old farmer that never made an appearance.

I asked the owner for permission, and he told me he would back me to prosecute. I installed signs (store bought) every 50 FEET around the perimeter of the property. You could NOT enter these woods without seeing them.

DNR and Sherrif BOTH told me that the "No Tresspassing" signs don't mean anything. When I asked them to explain I was told that no prosecutor was going to try this case. I would need to prove that the offenders had not only seen the signs, but they MUST be able to read and understand the meaning of the signs.

I was out $500 for the lease of hunting property that I basically got zero use out of. I could not compete with someone that could step out their back door and poach deer on my leased land.

I will not lease land again unless I receive assurance of a refund from the owner in a case like this.

Top Bottom