• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It took my American crew of 6 4 days to roof my less than 40 square roof. It's a simple roof and it was already tar papered.

It will take this Mexican crew of 6 drywallers about 2 days to hang for a 2600 sf house. 9' ceilings on first floor 8' on the 2nd. My great room has an 18' ceiling. Also they are drywalling all of my exterior walls in my 1800 sf basement.

Just a tad difference in pace, I'd say.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i remodle houses for a living. we do all our own work usually. on one particular house we were behind the 8ball on a deadling and had to hire out a couple jobs. we hired some mexican drywallers and they were amazing.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Amazing or not if they don't "speaka da englisha" they are not getting my hard earned money.

Then again I can hang drywall rather well. Now finishing it is another story i put on to much mud and sand to much off. It looks very good in the end but I could never make money doing it.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    It took the Amish ~6.5-7 hours to do our roof (material gathering, roofing, cleanup). My neighbor across the street just got his smaller roof done in 2.5 days. Not including the drop off of material the day before.

edit: I should add that I don't recall if they were all white/Hispanic/black/Asian/etc. I just know they weren't Amish and they seemed to be working very slowwwww

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm curious on how the quality was. I've seen roofs that the mexican crews around here have done. Didn't last very long. They always finish the job very quick though.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    It took my American crew of 6 4 days to roof my less than 40 square roof. It's a simple roof and it was already tar papered.

It will take this Mexican crew of 6 drywallers about 2 days to hang for a 2600 sf house. 9' ceilings on first floor 8' on the 2nd. My great room has an 18' ceiling. Also they are drywalling all of my exterior walls in my 1800 sf basement.

you should have hired Indymonkey!! hes the best. and he is an American.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Amazing or not if they don't "speaka da englisha" they are not getting my hard earned money.

Then again I can hang drywall rather well. Now finishing it is another story i put on to much mud and sand to much off. It looks very good in the end but I could never make money doing it.

ya i think i can hang and finish drywall pretty well to but when you have 7 days to completely remodle a house and can only be one place at a time you have to hire some help.

there work was top notch. not to get into a political debate here mexicans may be alot of things but lazy is not one of them. thats what i was saying in my post

deter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    The only non-mexican crew I ever had do drywall had to come back 4 times to fix all the crap they did wrong; oh, and it took them FOREVER. Mexican drywall crews FTW.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If they were that good and worked that hard, why would they have to sneak out of one country in to another and cross 7 or 8 states, thousands of miles... just to hang dry wall?:rolleyes:

To heck with them they can hike back to Mexico with the criminals they've colluded with on their back.

They hang dry wall in IL, TX, AR, LA, Mexico and every where else between here and Mexico City.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If they were that good and worked that hard, why would they have to sneak out of one country in to another and cross 7 or 8 states, thousands of miles... just to hang dry wall?:rolleyes:

To heck with them they can hike back to Mexico with the criminals they've colluded with on their back.

They hang dry wall in IL, TX, AR, LA, Mexico and every where else between here and Mexico City.

:yesway:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    :ugh:

Why do people not want to support Americans?

I guarantee the messicans were not any cheaper than an American Crew.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This was the crew that my general contractor hired. The general contractor's crew put up the ICF walls, interior framing, and roof. They're doing the siding now. I think it's about 30 square of vinyl and they are about half way done after at least 3 days of working on it. Every deadline they gave on every single item was at least a week behind. Now that we are getting subs in to do most of the rest of the work, it's finally starting to take off.

I went back tonight after my op to see how much they had done. They put up a few walls of board yesterday so the foamers could soundproof those walls. As of tonight, they were about 90% done with hanging. They way my general crew works, I bet it would take them 3 weeks to hang it.

When they were still working on the basement, they brought in a truck and trailer. My drive was still #2 stone. The guy drove in so far and the truck started to spin the tires. They dropped the trailer and proceeded to use my excavators backhoe and my barn concrete guy's bobcat to move this trailer. They had to move it about 50' and do 1 3 point turn with it to park it. I watched 6 guys spend 90 minutes to park it. 1-3 of them would actually do something to help, the other just sat there and watched.

I think these guys have no initiative to do anything without being told and the crew leader has absolutely no leadership skills and doesn't seem to care if his guys are doing anything or not.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Seems like they are jack of all trades hourly workers with no incentive to be productive.

You pretty much nailed it. The sad thing is the crew leader is the owner's son. I'm thinking I'll get a subscription to Angie's List just to rip these idiots new ones when this house is done.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

A buddy of mine is hispanic and at least 10 years older then me and he puts me to shame honestly...... not that I am not a hard worker..... I just can't keep up....

Yes he is legal, he was born in southern TX.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hmm, the hispanics that hung my drywall only did a so so job. Definately not good enough that I would recomend them, had I known who they were (subcontractors).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Hmm, the hispanics that hung my drywall only did a so so job. Definately not good enough that I would recomend them, had I known who they were (subcontractors).

Sadly labor type work is hit and miss...... some are great and want to get it done and go home and some are not...

It's why I like getting paid by the job and so do a lot of people..... get it done and go to the next job...... make more money that way....... guys that get paid by the hour tend to milk the clock.

Top Bottom