• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually, that regulation has been in effect since at least 2007. According to your linked story, most likely since about 1993 (in response to a rash of food poisoning deaths).

The real news, and the reason that story was published, is that NC may relax its rules and follow the Federal guidelines instead. You might be able to purchase a rare hamburger starting next year.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    I understand your thought on not being told how or what to eat but, the health department has had the jurisdiction to control foodborne illness in restaurants for years. The intent is to stop the spread of E. Coli which has become a fairly deadly foodborne illness in the U.S.

How does this differ from any undercooked food a restaurant might serve that would make the public sick?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I used to work at a few national restaurant chains, their corporate policy won’t let people order below Medium Rare anyway due to health concerns.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Actually, that regulation has been in effect since at least 2007. According to your linked story, most likely since about 1993 (in response to a rash of food poisoning deaths).
    Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to post old news.

The real news, and the reason that story was published, is that NC may relax its rules and follow the Federal guidelines instead. You might be able to purchase a rare hamburger starting next year.
    I think its outrageous that the Feds think they can tell us how to serve our burgers. Truly nothing is out of their reach.

I understand your thought on not being told how or what to eat but, the health department has had the jurisdiction to control [STRIKE]foodborne illness in[/STRIKE] restaurants for years.
    I don't think it is such a good thing. Restaurants already have an interest in not making people sick. If they want to survive, they will provide a good service. If they are nasty, people won't come back.

I used to work at a few national restaurant chains, their corporate policy won’t let people order below Medium Rare anyway due to health concerns.
    Company policy, fine. If they don't serve what I'm looking for then I will shop elsewhere. It shouldn't be a matter of law.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    I don't think it is such a good thing. Restaurants already have an interest in not making people sick. If they want to survive, they will provide a good service. If they are nasty, people won't come back.

Company policy, fine. If they don't serve what I'm looking for then I will shop elsewhere. It shouldn't be a matter of law.

It doesn't sound like you've ever worked, or known anyone that's worked in the foodservice industry. The things that restaurants get away with everyday are unbelievable. Spoiled food, improper cooking temps, the list is long as your arm. Go to your county website and look for the restaurant inspection reports. Most post them and you will be amazed at how many places you've eaten that have had serious violations.
    Restaurants have a vested interest in providing safe, appetizing food, but over and over they cut corners "hoping" to save money without the consumer knowing.
    And that doesn't even include what the wait staff will do if you **** them off!!!!!!

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN

And this is in the interest of not making people sick. You can't kill E-coli by serving a medium rare burger.

I love rare steaks, but I won't eat rare burgers. I have had to sit through some very long food safety classes and that was a section I paid attention to and actually learned something.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It doesn't sound like you've ever worked, or known anyone that's worked in the foodservice industry. The things that restaurants get away with everyday are unbelievable. Spoiled food, improper cooking temps, the list is long as your arm.

I don't understand. There are laws against these things. Surely they can not still be happening.

Please explain.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have been known to eat raw hamburger...I know I know...REALLY dangerous. Yummy though.
    Add some onions and good mustard! Yumm!

Rare and medium rare burgers are no more dangerous than anything else out there in a restaurant. A salad is more dangerous, if you get listeria. Green onions? Eggs? Almost anything can get you sick, if it's ill prepared or sourced from a bad company. I like my burgers on the medium rare side and I've never gotten ill from it. In fact the only times I've ever become ill from food was at a McD's from their nasty ass chicken nuggets. I've eaten off of goat carts in the ME, I'll take my chances at Bub's with a nice medium rare Elk burger.

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    I don't understand. There are laws against these things. Surely they can not still be happening.

Please explain.

Explain why people do things that are against the law and / or their actions have the possibility of causing harm or death to the people they do it to?

So is your point to have no laws preventing those things because people don't always comply with the law?

Please explain??

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    It doesn't sound like you've ever worked, or known anyone that's worked in the foodservice industry. The things that restaurants get away with everyday are unbelievable. Spoiled food, improper cooking temps, the list is long as your arm. Go to your county website and look for the restaurant inspection reports. Most post them and you will be amazed at how many places you've eaten that have had serious violations.
    Restaurants have a vested interest in providing safe, appetizing food, but over and over they cut corners "hoping" to save money without the consumer knowing.
    And that doesn't even include what the wait staff will do if you **** them off!!!!!!

And I was going to say the exact same thing. If you have a problem with the regulations then I invite you to take a history lesson in why we have them. Heck if people have a problem with food regulation then they must clearly have a problem with fire regulations, right? Same concept, but you never hear people complain about the extremely restrictive fire regulations that are enforced by inspections. Maybe its because the history of fire regulations is actually remembered. :dunno:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    wHAT kind of animal wants a rare hamburger? That's just plain disgusting. Just go buy a package of raw meat and eat it if that is what you want.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    wHAT kind of animal wants a rare hamburger? That's just plain disgusting. Just go buy a package of raw meat and eat it if that is what you want.

What kind of dumb ass orders ANY beef, duck, pig, etc...etc......anything over medium? Go get a double hamburger no bun (well done of course) if that's what you want. :)

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    What kind of dumb ass orders ANY beef, duck, pig, etc...etc......anything over medium? Go get a double hamburger no bun (well done of course) if that's what you want. :)

It might be the dumb asses that have seen how ground beef gets processed today.

Once you grind all of the bacteria on the outside of an animal into it, you lose the ability to sterilize it without cooking it all the way through.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Once you grind all of the bacteria on the outside of an animal into it, you lose the ability to sterilize it without cooking it all the way through.
    Know where your meat comes from and that's not an issue. Hell, it's not an issue in most restaurants.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It doesn't sound like you've ever worked, or known anyone that's worked in the foodservice industry.

It doesn't sound like you have ever read about the problems associated with total government control over everything we see, hear, feel, smell, taste, and touch. I mean seriously, we are talking about hamburgers. Is there no problem that the government can't solve for us? Yes we can!

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009

I've watched my butcher grind meat a few times. No big deal to me. I don't really care how people eat their food (they pay for it), but to be called an animal because I enjoy, and pay for, my food the way I like it is irritating.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Explain why people do things that are against the law and / or their actions have the possibility of causing harm or death to the people they do it to?

So is your point to have no laws preventing those things because people don't always comply with the law?

Please explain??

My point is that preventative laws don't work and are idiotic.

Let's try something different instead of making more of them.

Top Bottom