• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Just got a flyer from Napannee Conservation Club - they are showing an Appleseed Shoot September 6 and 7. Going to have to do some schedule rearranging if this is true. But I do not see it on the Appleseed website and no way to register yet.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I believe there will be another Napanee this year like sept 6-7th is when it was penciled in but who knows because I'll be honest with you, Our turn out up north is horrible. everyone posts threads saying they want to attend a shoot but no one ever shows up when they are on the schedule. at the last 2 shoots up there we got a total of 4 shooters to each event and 2 each time didn't make it back on sunday. We can't figure out the problem. we promote and promote it, everyone says yes we are going to come if you have a event around FT wayne. so we do, we get instructors lined up and 2-4 shooters make it out on ranges that should have 30 plus. I just don't understand it. That makes it hard to put a lot of them on schedule when we have the ability to send our instructors to ranges in the middle of the state and down south where the shoots typically have 10-25 shooters per day.

No wonder turnout is horrible. its less than a month to go and its not on the Appleseed calnedar and thus no way to register for it. How do we promote an event like this when its not on the calendar?

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    No wonder turnout is horrible. its less than a month to go and its not on the Appleseed calnedar and thus no way to register for it. How do we promote an event like this when its not on the calendar?

I'm inquiring about this now with the state coordinator. Mistakes happen we are only human and we do this all on a volunteer status on top of our real jobs. All that being said hopefully it is a event and we get it up on the calendar ASAP and promote it as much as we can. I understand your frustration and appreciate you trying to help promote it. However we have had many events up north that had been on the calendar for months in advance. Passed out thousands of fliers, put adds in the paper and local radio and still had just 2 people show up. So I wouldn't quite go as far as to say no wonder turn out is horrible.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    I'm sorry to do this to everyone, but the Nappanee shoot that we just got on the schedule has been postponed. The club president asked us to re-schedule it due to a conflict with another event at the range. We are currently working on a new date, it will probably be some time in November. As soon as we have a confirmed date it will be put up on the Appleseed schedule website and announced here. I do apologize for the inconvenience, and I hope everyone who was planning on joining us in September can attend the makeup date.

kaveman

Expert
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    OK, I'm showing Nov8-9. That's good because I'm just catching up on it now and if the shoot had been the first week of September I'd have missed it already. I want to do this. I'll spend a few days researching and commit if I can.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Appleseeds are more fun when you bring along some friends and/or family. If equipment is holding anybody back, send a PM to the Shoot Boss (or post here) and let them know what you need. Appleseed Instructors have plenty of gear they're willing to lend to shooters on the line.
    OK, I'm showing Nov8-9. That's good because I'm just catching up on it now and if the shoot had been the first week of September I'd have missed it already. I want to do this. I'll spend a few days researching and commit if I can.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The Niles Appleseed is just off the bypass in Niles and is only about 2 miles across the state line. The drive from Warsaw is pretty quick. I'm about 5 minutes from BORCC and it takes me about an hour to drive to Etna Green.

Thanks! I'm planning on the Napannee one in November for now. Its only aobut 25-35 minutes from my house. And I'm a member there, too...

kaveman

Expert
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Appleseeds are more fun when you bring along some friends and/or family. If equipment is holding anybody back, send a PM to the Shoot Boss (or post here) and let them know what you need. Appleseed Instructors have plenty of gear they're willing to lend to shooters on the line.

Thanks for that but lack of gear is not a problem. Finding what I need from a mountain of gear is a problem. Deciding which of a dozen 10-22's to bring might be a problem. Actually getting out and preparing for any kind of shoot will be a problem. Bringing anyone along is definitely a problem,........even though I was born and raised here I've spent most of the last 25yrs on the road and no longer have any local contacts. All my friends are distant and semi-retirement is getting kinda boring. Time to get out and do something.

kaveman

Expert
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    None of them are raced up but most are integrally suppressed. At first I thought that might be fun but if everyone else is shooting noisy there isn't much point. I'll grab one still stock(but probably scoped)or remount a stock barrel if I find that first. Guess the sling is the most important mod I'll have to make. I don't think any have 1" sling loops on them.

kaveman

Expert
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    So anyone else planning on Nappanee? I don't want to be the only one and the site still shows 35 slots available,........same as a couple of weeks ago. I haven't committed yet but I'm making my list of things to take and tracking them down,.....setting up a rifle, etc. I'm curious about the range and program. There's nothing specific on their site with regards to course of fire(full or reduced round count or range). If I don't bring a centerfire will all shooting be at 25yds or will I be trying to reach out to 200yds eventually?

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    So anyone else planning on Nappanee? I don't want to be the only one and the site still shows 35 slots available,........same as a couple of weeks ago. I haven't committed yet but I'm making my list of things to take and tracking them down,.....setting up a rifle, etc. I'm curious about the range and program. There's nothing specific on their site with regards to course of fire(full or reduced round count or range). If I don't bring a centerfire will all shooting be at 25yds or will I be trying to reach out to 200yds eventually?

I haven't personally been to Nappanee but it's open for both centerfire and rimfire. That being said this is a 25 meter event for the most part. All of day one and at minimum half of day 2 will be at 25. bring your 22 the first day and learn the fundamentals. bring your AR or garand the second day so see them work on any rifle at any distance. or run the 22 both days the whole time. it's a lot of fun to shoot 22's at 100, 200, 300 ect. Just want to point out I'm not sure on max distance at this range, just stating long distance rimfire is a lot of fun.

Gear really isn't important. what is important is that you show up with a teachable attitude and be ready to learn. it's an amazing program. you should definitely attend if you can!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I am planning on it right now. Just have not got around to registering.

I'd bring a .22. I've shot there before and it was all 25 yard/meter. Some guys had AR's, but those are mostly loud! The rage does have some limited longer range available, I beleive but we did not use it for the Appleseed. Maybe they will if enough folks are interested? Dunno.

Top Bottom