• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    I am grateful for all the info. The finish on this pistol was one of the reasons I purchased it, but mostly I liked the size and the reviews that I had read. So anyway, I was disheartened to see the damage. I agree that since it is my ccw and I carry it daily that I should consider it like a tool and expect some bumps and bruises. I was just shocked to see how much rust there was after just six months of storage. One of the articles that I read mentioned that the foam inside the case could be the problem, so In the future I will buy only fleece lined soft cases or just stick with hard cases. A new gun safe has moved from my "want" list to the "need" list. The oil I used was mentioned in another article saying that it isn't all that it is all it is cracked up to be. I will be purchasing another brand for the guns that I shoot less often. The hoppes solvent seems to do a fine job even on the .22 lr that doesn't get cleaned as faithfully as it should. So the solvent is better at its job that the lubricant is.
    I like the idea of just refinishing it myself with one of the many aftermarket products that are available. So I may do that. I did clean all the rust off of the slide and all the mags and all seem to operate normally. I have never refinished one before but I am fairly mechanical minded. so I'm not too scared to give it a shot. Thanks all for the info and I have learned a lesson. I have been shooting for several years but have just recently became a hand gun owner, so I will be learning more in the future. Hopefully not too expensive, Thats one of the reasons I became a member of INGO. Thanks again.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've had no issues with rem gun oil. Just pulled a rifle out I haven't shot in 7 months and is still good to go.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    "Water under the Bridge"...

I KNOW that this is too late to suggest. Most all of my firearms that are in for storage get a good cleaning+dry first. Then I use Flitz polish on all exterior surfaces, then apply a coat of car wax. The longer the storage, the better ($) the wax. All wood gets Johnson's Paste Wax.

This works for me+I have some in the safe that have been there for YEARS!!??

For ME no rust this way..Bill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry to hear. I think my late father experience something similar. After he died I discovered his J frame in pieces with deep pitted rust in his den. Apparently he found it after it was trashed and started to dry it out in preparation for fixing it. He never got that far.

He was very diligent with his guns, so I was amazed and sickened when I found it. I spent a week of evenings sanding and using a dremel with a wire brush (went through 3) cleaning it up and finally stripping it down and re-blueing. She isnt pretty, but it still means the world to me. I just wish there was a way to fill in the pits. :(

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I KNOW that this is too late to suggest. Most all of my firearms that are in for storage get a good cleaning+dry first. Then I use Flitz polish on all exterior surfaces, then apply a coat of car wax. The longer the storage, the better ($) the wax. All wood gets Johnson's Paste Wax.

This works for me+I have some in the safe that have been there for YEARS!!??

For ME no rust this way..Bill.

Also save those dessicant packs in things you buy in airtight containers. I often get ones that are quite large, like 3x4" and will store them in a twist off jar kinda like what you get peanut butter in. When storing something like that, I'll put the item in a ziplock with one or two of those packs and never a worry.

I'm also a firm believer in those heater rods for your safe. never a spot of rust on my safe queens.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    After reading all of this I got real curious, and/or concerned. I decided to check some of my "virgin" pistols that have been put away in soft cases and haven't seen the light of day in a couple of years. I was relieved to see that all were just as I had left them. I'm glad I did because it was nice to re-aquaint myself with them and even got to see a couple of queens that I forgot I even purchased. So after a good inspection and wipe down I returned them to their place and hopefully it won't be another couple of years before I see them again.

Also save those dessicant packs in things you buy in airtight containers

I have always saved the larger ones and put them in my safe along with a larger box-type desiccant designed for larger areas.

Last edited:

hntrroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    Winslow IN
    The desiccant idea is a good one. I have used them to keep some of my deployment gear in good condition during storage with good success. I wonder if the oxygen absorbents that you can purchase for food storage will work as well. If there is no oxygen in the container then the corrosion should be eliminated. makes sense to me. I guess that I could store a firearm in a Tupperware container with one of them. Or maybe vacuum seal the gun with one of them inside the bag. I guess I should apply some of the prepper technology to firearms storage. Interesting.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    An excellent product to clean rust from a gun is Corrosion X. You can find their site online. It will remove the rust without hurting the finish, and it is also a rust preventative.

Best Wishes,
    Tom

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have found the flower drying product that you can buy at Hobby Lobby works great at drying the air in a gun safe. I just fill and old sock( without holes) with it, and leave it in the safe with my guns. when it is used up, a short trip in the oven at low temp dries it out and its ready to go again.

Prior to owning a safe, I used the make your own size vac seal bags for long term storage. I would clean them diligently, give them a liberal bath in rem oil, and pack a small desiccant bag I made from the large bag of flower drier and then vac seal it. I would use oil soaked rags to wrap around sharp edges to keep from puncturing the bag. Nothing in, nothing out, I have never had an issue when storing them this way, and I have left them for a year or more at a time like this.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had a Ruger P89 that I used for CCW in a black neoprene style Uncle Mike's holster. I always kept it oiled after shooting, but not after daily carry. I switched guns and put it in one of those Sentry style locking boxes/fire safes for 8.5 x 11 ins hanging folders and bought more stuff.

When I looked over a year later, the Uncle Mike's holster was green and furry (mold) and the pistol itself was a little rusty also. I am figuring that the holster was damp probably with some sweat/humidity from summer use. The outside of the slide cleaned up fairly well, but the worst place was between the barrel (next to the chamber) and the slide left inside face, with corrosion/pitting on the slide. It surprised me, as this region was not in direct contact with the mold/holster. I had to clean it with sandpaper/wire brush, and oil it and it all seems fine now.

I used a general Hoppes type oil back then, but I am lately using Break-Free-LP, as this has corrosion inhibitors in it. I put my guns away well oiled, and only use the original plastic boxes, or a purpose built hard plastic box. I also use the Dessicant boxes to put in my Sentry fire-safes and keep things dry in there and this seems to work well.

Has anyone else had a furry/moldy holster corrosion causing experience? Is it safe to store a gun in a leather holster, say??

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Buy some drierite from someone like Amazon.com. You can put the drierite in a plastic container without a lid. Put it in your safe to keep the safe dry. Drierite can be regenerated for prolonged use.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Go figure.

I have one blue steel pistol that's been kept in a K-Mart "rug" for over 20 years with long periods of non use and no problems. I have another in a similar cheap "rug" that's been in there for 10+ years with no problems. Both probably went as much as a year or 2 (or 3) never even being checked, but both were put away clean and well oiled.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Roger that. The soft gun cases hold moisture (Moisture + time + ferrous metal = rust). We use the silicone oiled gun socks or the treated paper and then vacuum pack the firearm. This has been the storage method used by the USN & Marines, and the US Army for years. The soft case is good for transport to the range or field (short term only). Gun cases with foam are as bad as the soft case (if not worse). It will take time and work but you should be able to remove the rust. If you feel uncomfortable working of the rust removal, contact a gunsmith.

Sorry for the surprise you received. I began my career in Vietnam and it took constant care to keep the weapons on the boat from developing rust. It can happen quickly depending on the temperature, moisture, etc. Tough lesson to learn but one you'll never forget. Welcome home Bro.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Little different side of the issue.
    I used to have problems with my EDC wanting to rust on me, WHILE I WAS CARRYING IT!

I work construction, and I sweat quite a bit in the heat.
    It seemed no matter what I carried or how I cared for it, it would be rusty before the end of a day. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of.

I finally gave up.
    I bought a total titanium J-frame and never looked back.

At least THIS one won't rust, no matter WHAT I do to it!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you're not going to be firing it and it's going to be stored for a while, you can always coat the metal pieces in bearing grease. It'll keep any rust from forming. My safe queens are essentially caked in bearing grease.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Wipe rusted gun down with WD-40 (WD-40 Lifts rust) then wipe down with a clean rag....repeat. I lube all of my firearms with Tri-Flow Tri-Flow® Superior Lubricant Aerosol and the stuff works great for long term storage, normal lubrication and will not freeze in the current temps we are having outside. I run it even in my semi auto shotguns and they have never became a single shot in the wrath of winter.

Top Bottom