• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Ok, I don't often go on rants like this, but for some reason this one bothers me.:soapbox: Probably not as big of a deal as I will make it out to be, but I will say that my expectations and confidence in S&W is significantly less than before. I digress.

I emailed Smith and Wesson because the finish on my 638 (bought 3 months ago, my first revolver, manufactured may 2015) is wearing off tremendously on the backstrap of the grip and has bare metal showing on a small section below the cylinder release. First I emailed and they said what did I clean it with. I mentioned Hoppes, and was immediately told my warranty was void and that it would cost me $200+shipping to repair it (FYI, I've used Hoppes on the CYLINDER ONLY, ONCE during the entire 3 months I've owned the 638 and usually use CLP). I essentially said no and expressed my disappointment in their customer service and product quality. I asked to talk to a supervisor and was ignored. I emailed again asking for a supervisor and was again ignored.

So I then called them and talked to a guy calling himself Michael M. He seemed much nicer than the people I emailed and promptly took down my info and emailed me a prepaid label at no cost, no questions asked.
    Buuuuuut, I got another call the next day before I had a chance to mail the revolver out and I talked to Michael who informed me he had read the previous info (uh-oh) and that if they determined the gun had damage due to Hoppes after being sent in that they would assess a charge and even if I denied the repair they would not send the firearm back without me paying $45 out of my own pocket to have my gun relinquished and sent back.

I sent a few more pictures to Michael, after I was informed they would take a look and try to guess whether they would hold my gun hostage or not.
    I'm waiting to hear back. Again I felt the need for this rant because I let myself get so hyped-up about how great S&W products and customer service was and this was NOT my experience at all, so for those of you who have the same expectations as I do... I have one word of advice.. head over to Ruger. I was particularly upset, and expressed this to Michael, that my gun would not be returned unless they felt it was under warranty, and if they didn't feel that way, I would have to pay to have it sent back. I told him I would not send it in unless they could guarantee they wouldn't hold my gun hostage, and he said he could not promise this. Again, I will avoid SW revolvers in the future and stick to Ruger, they have given me the best customer service for a gun I've received to date, and for that reason, next time I want a revolver, I will get a Ruger. My SW shield has been great, luckily for me because if it had a problem I would be SOL.
    :ranton:

B6A21D85-363C-4DA1-8FBE-2D697498823D_zpsw3lacewa.jpg

D19C06B4-E51D-43D8-A0B8-E46E06EED9F0_zpslts8yh6b.jpg

PS, yes my nails are in desperate need of a trim/handwashing :laugh:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    S&W seems to have issue's with their finishes. I know of two case's where the finish started coming off the slide's of two different M&P pistols both less then 6 months old.

Both case's took some persuasion on the owners part to get S&W to step up.

Good luck.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    The finish on the air weights is pretty well documented on the web and from people I know that have them as crappy and wears very quickly and is damaged by cleaners. Also well documented that s&w usually does not warrant them.

Not trying to say you are wrong because s&w has a problem with that finish and if you did not read about it before buying it would be taken by surprise and make you mad when it happens. I debated about one for a year and just bought a 649 because of the finish. It is like 4 ounces heavier but should look good for years.

Hope they take care of it for you.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My wife's 638 is like that..It looks like she carries it every day....Here is my 200-300 round per week 51 year old Smith and Wesson Model 18-2....

I think it's gorgeous....

Chief Dan George once famously said to Clint Eastwood of his rock candy gifted to him by Abraham Lincoln...."It's not for eating...It's for looking through.."

A Smith Revolver is not like rock candy...Just one man's opinion that really ain't worth a dime but I decided to share it anyway...

I have always had good service from Smith and Wesson...

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    My wife's 638 is like that..It looks like she carries it every day....Here is my 200-300 round per week 51 year old Smith and Wesson Model 18-2....

I think it's gorgeous....

Chief Dan George once famously said to Clint Eastwood of his rock candy gifted to him by Abraham Lincoln...."It's not for eating...It's for looking through.."

A Smith Revolver is not like rock candy...Just one man's opinion that really ain't worth a dime but I decided to share it anyway...

I have always had good service from Smith and Wesson...
    Generally I'd agree with you, but in my case, it should not look like it's carried everyday when its brand new and carried for only a couple of days (mostly been hauling my shield around).
    That 51 yr old smith has earned its shoddy looking finish, and like you I think that gun is gorgeous!

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I hope they get this taken car of for you.

I will no longer purchase anything S&W unless some changes are made with their quality control.

I purchased a new m&p 10. Upon cleading the barrel, I noticed bumps on the inside of the barrel. After researching. I found the cause was from them stamping the caliber info on the outside of the barrel. Seems the stamping was transfered and deformed the inside of the barrel.

Well after contacting S&W, right away they emailed a return shipping label and didn't ask any questions. It was a known problem.

So, two weeks later, I get the rifle back. They replaced the barrel. However, the new barrel was worse then what i sent in to them. Shortly after I sold the rifle. These kind of things are unacceptable. To many quality options out there.

BTW I have also sent a handgun back to Ruger. Wow what a pleasant experience. Top notch service!

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Normally I would suggest to point out to them that it doesn't say don't use this solvent in the manual, but...

CAUTION: Some cleaners can cause damage to your firearms.You should avoid prolonged solvent immersion and prolonged ultrasoniccleaning of your firearm. Choice of solvent should be restrictedto those products specifically developed for firearms maintenance.Damage to a firearm’s finish may occur if these cautions areignored. Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents,should not be used on any Smith & Wesson firearm. Cleaning isessential to ensure the proper functioning of your firearm.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Normally I would suggest to point out to them that it doesn't say don't use this solvent in the manual, but...
    I'm not a chemist, so I assumed the standard most popular brand would suffice and had no idea it contained ammonia. And I used it on the cylinder only which was detached from the frame... and the backstrap had no way to come CLOSE to any Hoppes.
    I've told them this, they don't care. Fine by me, they can shove their policy to protect their poor product in an appropriate place and I will take my money elsewhere.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I'm not a chemist, so I assumed the standard most popular brand would suffice and had no idea it contained ammonia. And I used it on the cylinder only which was detached from the frame... and the backstrap had no way to come CLOSE to any Hoppes.
    I've told them this, they don't care. Fine by me, they can shove their policy to protect their poor product in an appropriate place and I will take my money elsewhere.

Why would a gun manufacturer use a finish on their guns that you couldn't use a solvent formulated for guns?

Doesn't make sense to me!

I don't know what kind of finish the new revolvers have, maybe hard chrome? Didn't they used to be glass bead stainless?

Either way, it's common knowledge that hoppes will remove any kind of plating, chrome or nickle. Hoppes can remove the copper under coating used to finish guns.

It's why hoppes came out with "Synthetic" #9.

If you say hoppes wasn't on the backstrap, I'm inclined to take your word for it. I'm not defending S&W in any way shape or form. In point of fact, I'm in the process of a mass exodus from them myself.

If you want the gun refinished and don't want to dish the 200 to S&W, which I wouldn't, look into cerakoting it? They have a finish that damn near 100% matches the old glass bead stainless look that S&W used to do.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Ask me how I learned about hoppes eating plating?

It's kind of like the idiot mark on 1911's. You always learn the hard way no matter how many times your told. :):

Novabeast69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the finish wear and no help from S&W. It would make me never want to purchase anything from them again. A little support goes a long way.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    So what is safe to use on it? Not being able to use one of the most popular brand sucks.
    It has a protective coating on it already why use harsh chemicals to clean the gun?
    Just wipe it down with a cloth.
    Been carrying a 642 demo gun for a year now and been in and out of a holster to many times to count and carried a lot and finish still looks new.
    These guns are fairly cheap and never going to be collectible who cares what they look like?

Anyone attending the NRA show in Louisville seem that are many more people making gun cleaning supplies than making guns. No way could S&W or other manufactures test them on all their finishes and keep up with them. Truthfully they probably don't care either.

Carry it and forget it but I wouldn't have it refinished on my dime or S&W dime because it will end up the same way after carrying it for years.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, learn something new everyday. Not ever owning a nickel/chrome plated gun.

So what is safe to use on it? Not being able to use one of the most popular brand sucks.

See the nickel comment above. Hoppes has a long tradition of not being safe on certain finishes. It happens, chemistry sucks, but there's a ton of other things out there that can be used

Top Bottom