• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    PLEASE take plenty of before and after pics!!!! I'm interested in how this turns out. As stated above there are many options out there for AKs. :yesway:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    As others have said, just to throw in my 2 cents, I say buy it. That is a really good deal on a Makk 90, from what I have seen they are pretty expensive now a days.

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    this is a good deal providing a file hasn't been run down the bore ,scope the bore if you can or try the old flashlight method good luck

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Once you purchase it, remove the thumb/butthole stock as they are stupid and uncomfortable. Next check and see if you have a "slant cut" receiver. If not you can buy any AK furniture and go with it. If so, then you'll have to buy specifically designed stocks for slant cuts.
    these are from iron wood...notice the rear is at an angle.
    images

AK_Milled_sm.jpg

You can also buy buffer tube style stocks as well as ace folders with an internal block. I believe ace made or is making a block that fills the gap left from the slant cut, though i've seen people run a standard internal block with no issues except a small gap from the slant.

Taking the stock off an replacing it with one shown may very well make it illegal...the MAK is most likely pre ban, an would still fall into the category where at least 3 parts would have to be replaced with all American parts, changing one part an not all 3 can land a guy in trouble.....unless this has just changed, but as of a few months ago it hadn't, I have a MAK90 an thats what my research came up with.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    sorry...buy the stock, a tapco trigger, uspalm mags or us made floorplates for the circle tens and you'll be good.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    stocks looks pretty good from this picture, I'm sure there are those here who are much better than I for restoring the metal, but I'd start with steel wool and cold blue

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That doesn't look bad at all. I would take the wood off and start by using 0000 Steel wool and break free to start removing the rust. You can then see how much pitting there is or if it's mostly just surface rust. You can also use the 0000 steel wool, clean of course, to take the sheen off the wood and give it a matte finish. The stock can be replaced later. How is the bore and internals?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you got that for $130 you got the buy of the decade!!!! If I ever found a MAK-90 in that condition for under $150 I would trip all over myself getting the money out.

I would start with CLP on the metal to try to remove the rust without rubbing. If it works, great, if not then go with the real fine steel wool and CLP and see how much comes off. After you get the rust knocked off, refinish with Cold Blue and you should have a really nice shooter there!

You said the bore was dirty. The nice thing is they are chrome lined so should clean up nicely. Don't forget to clean inside the gas tube as well as the gas block and the rear sight block which also gets a good dose of carbon build up.

Yep, you really did good!!!!!

My suggestion for meeting the stupid 922(r) / Title 27 478.39 parts count rule would be to get an Ironwood stock set, and use a Tapco or other quality USA made mag in it. That way you won't have to replace that excellent fire control group. The Chinese were known for having arguably the best trigger feel of any factory AK imported into the land of "shall not be infringed".

Top Bottom