Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is burning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm not a Catholic, and I know that (most likely) the fire was accidental and related to the renovations as reported, but there's a little part of me that can't help but feel like it's something out of a Dan Brown novel. Seeing the spire fall, just seemed... I dunno... ominous somehow.

Speeking of Dan Brown and catholic churches there was a fire at Saint-Sulpice church last month.
    It's the second largest church in Paris.
    I think the it's mentioned in Da Vinci Code
    The origin of the fire was criminal.

cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.750.422.jpeg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This all has a deeply sinister tone.

Yep that's what I told my wife when we talked about it over dinner. First report I heard said that it may have started in a trash can about 5 minutes after all tourists had to be out. Couple that with the fire a month a ago at Saint-Sulpice and the fact its Holy week...something just doesn't seem to add up to me

Just seems like too many coincidences

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Speeking of Dan Brown and catholic churches there was a fire at Saint-Sulpice church last month.
    It's the second largest church in Paris.
    I think the it's mentioned in Da Vinci Code
    The origin of the fire was criminal.

cq5dam.thumbnail.cropped.750.422.jpeg

Um-OK....
    I don't believe in coincidences. :n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep that's what I told my wife when we talked about it over dinner. First report I heard said that it may have started in a trash can about 5 minutes after all tourists had to be out. Couple that with the fire a month a ago at Saint-Sulpice and the fact its Holy week...something just doesn't seem to add up to me

As much as I want to agree and shout about it I will step back and watch them spin this up.
    Invite the acknowledged enemy into your country and **** will star to happen.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN

Totally agree. It just doesn't feel right.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As much as I want to agree and shout about it I will step back and watch them spin this up.
    Invite the acknowledged enemy into your country and **** will star to happen.

Again I agree. I don't want to shout about it or start some kind of Holy war, but I will watch and see how it gets spun.

And yes let the acknowledged enemy into your country and bad **** will start to happen.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i just don't see this contractor being paid out on this contract.

Assuming this is a construction related incident, can you imagine being the tradesman with this on his shoulders? Gives me a sick to my stomach feeling just thinking about his guilt. I couldnt imagine being *THAT* guy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Assuming this is a construction related incident, can you imagine being the tradesman with this on his shoulders? Gives me a sick to my stomach feeling just thinking about his guilt. I couldnt imagine being *THAT* guy.

I have been in and around construction/trades all of my life. I can not even imagine the level of stupidity it would take to start that fire. Those beams do not light up like a match. This took effort. Or the biggest idiot to ever wear a hard hat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have been in and around construction/trades all of my life. I can not even imagine the level of stupidity it would take to start that fire. Those beams do not light up like a match. This took effort. Or the biggest idiot to ever wear a hard hat.

Even with 200yo bone dry wood?

I hear about contstruction related fires all the time. Welders have an errant spark and it smolders a while, burning down the building a couple hours later. And thats with moist new(ish) wood and other materials.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And yes, *adjusts tinfoil hat* it COULD be intentional by a hostile tradesman who had a convenient accident, or a yellow vest (protester) type who snuck up into the construction area and touched it off. After all, there are quite a few that have demonstrated that you can get away with a LOT just by wearing a hard hat, safety vest, carrying a clipboard and walking with an determined, confident attitude.

Just google "yellow vest experiment". Its actually kinda scary.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Man I'm truly at a loss for words over this. Those old hand made beams and evsn joined together with wooden pegs. Irreplaceable, unrebuildable in the same way. It just will never be the same. You think of all the people who walked those wooden pathways. Gone. tragic loss for history and the arts. This is one of the first buildings I ever studied in art. When I saw it in person it literally was overwhealming to witness the majesty of the building and all that you know went into it by the people.
    I mourn with the people of France who are our dear friends.
    This building is not about a religion.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I think the chances that it was a terrorist act, and purposely set, are 70/30..... for. Keep in mind that both ISIS and Al Queda (sp?) have been calling for "lone wolf" attacks, across the globe "by any means available"; e.g. vehicles, fire, knife attacks, etc.

IMHO, Notre Dame would likely be an 'easy target' while under renovations.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think the chances that it was a terrorist act, and purposely set, are 70/30..... for. Keep in mind that both ISIS and Al Queda (sp?) have been calling for "lone wolf" attacks, across the globe "by any means available"; e.g. vehicles, fire, knife attacks, etc.

IMHO, Notre Dame would likely be an 'easy target' while under renovations.

The renovation could be a reasonable source of the fire, or it could also be the cover for the source of the fire. I hope it's not a case of "some people did something."

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Now they can put in proper duct work and Cat23e cable

I’d like to see the Pope use this as an example that religion is not a building and earthly possessions don’t matter. The church is the people, who gather in a building. If the building is destroyed, the church is not

has he said anything about it officially?
    Will be interesting to see how those inside the walls of the Vatican prioritize their true mission.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It still looks like that now, minus the spire in between the two towers.
    It's mostly just the roof that's gone.

2019-04-15t191352z_52281024_rc1e905de340_rtrmadp_3_france-notredame-macron-e1555355895702.jpg
    The photos and your description give me hope that it really was confined to the upper part, above the support arches. Is there any word yet on the condition of the stained glass windows and the statues, etc. in the lower part?

I know the cathedral in Reims suffered a massive roof fire due to artillery shelling in WWI and was subsequently rebuilt. Remarkable how much it looks like the one in Paris!

th

394px-Reims_Cathedral_burning_during_World_War_I.jpg
    reims-cathedral.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom