• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thinking about running down from South Bend, haven't been for about 5 years, is it still as good as it used to be?
    If you were last here in 2013 there will be a few differences. There's lots of ammo now and you can actually walk through the aisles. I saw a few empty tables but not many.

Today had a pretty good crowd for a Friday. It was steady throughout the day and there were still several folks there when I split at 1830. I did not see the extras from The Walking Dead, or the cast of The Hills have Eyes today. Tomorrow should be a good crowd and I'm sure it will be more of the "full gun show experience".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. You people keep posting on INGO about your frickin' "milsurps", every other thread in long guns is about "milsurps", but you failed to buy any, at least so far.

2. I sold a bunch of schlock pistols, apparently this is where the market is.

3. I sold almost all of my handgun stocks, 2 large freezer bags full. Like hungry dogs INGOers drove upon them. Bring more crap pistols and handgun stocks and fewer "milsurps".

4. The collector grade stuff that I brough was roundly ignored.

5. I received a valuable education from a fellow "vendor" about why non-gun stuff is the key to a profitable show. People bring $400 max to the show (ATM max). When they discover that guns cost more than the $20 they were willing to speed, the spend the money on jerky, fidget spinners, fans, stun guns beanie babies and other crap as that 400 is already spent in their minds. Gun dealers realize this and devote more and more table space to non-gun merchandise to make money.

Battle plan for Saturday: more crap, less quality.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    1. You people keep posting on INGO about your frickin' "milsurps", every other thread in long guns is about "milsurps", but you failed to buy any, at least so far.

3. I sold almost all of my handgun stocks, 2 large freezer bags full. Like hungry dogs INGOers drove upon them. Bring more crap pistols and handgun stocks and fewer "milsurps".

5. I received a valuable education from a fellow "vendor" about why non-gun stuff is the key to a profitable show. People bring $400 max to the show (ATM max). When they discover that guns cost more than the $20 they were willing to speed, the spend the money on jerky, fidget spinners, fans, stun guns beanie babies and other crap as that 400 is already spent in their minds. Gun dealers realize this and devote more and more table space to non-gun merchandise to make money.

It was good seeing you today Kirk. Look on the bright side, tomorrow you can clean out a different part of the safe. Sunday you can meet some potential clients :laugh:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Good rule of thumb for table sales is if things are not selling your prices are to high.. Bet if you cut your prices in half, most everything would be gone..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have a group of friends that are vendors. They own LGS. They deal in the higher end rifles and hand guns. They lament the millennial lack of respect for a fine piece of crafted metal. Plastic with lots of Boolitz. That is the key. Excuse me, I need to go.....:puke:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not trying to be.. If things are not selling your prices are to high.. One may not want to accept this and blame lack of sales on outside forces and influences .. but is it totally true..

Have you dealt with that crowd directly. I get what you are saying but to break even on a gun people will still try and beat you down. It is part of the culture.
    Decent MilSpecs do not usually have a big market at the 1500. A few will be on the hunt but usually for the bargain basement deals.
    X invested-need Y to break even after cost of gun and expenses. Z mark up. Even at that this current market is based on plastic model gun kits. JMHO of course.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Have you dealt with that crowd directly.

I earn my living off of table sales of collectables, I have dealt with crowds directly.. 1st rule people are there to get a bargain. If they wanted something at full price they can order
    it off the computer today and it will be delivered to them at their door..

Good prices will overcome poor salesmanship skills as well as a poor table display.. in fact with crazy prices, sales are enhanced by a poor table display & lack of textbook salesmanship skills.

If I was selling at that show this week, I would get some kind of gimmick to get people coming back to my table.. Say a reverse auction ..Write a price on a tag & each hour drop the price by 10 bucks..
    make a big deal out of it....You will have people coming to your booth every hour.. By the end of the show. Everything will be gone.. Hell if you do it right
    you will not be going in Sunday morning.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good rule of thumb for table sales is if things are not selling your prices are to high.. Bet if you cut your prices in half, most everything would be gone..

Nice try . . . rhino!

Bingo Card update: nearly have gun show BINGO. Thanks to "incorrectly spelled neck tattoo" I now only need "Space Shuttle Door Gunner" and "Confederate Flag" to complete my card!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Random question has anyone seen bulk (IE boxes of 50) HST 9mm 147gr ammo? I know Recoil Gun Works used to sell that but it's been a couple years since I went to a 1500. Also if anyone has seen a colt night Cobra I would appreciate a heads up too

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Dawson Knives

While I won't be able to attend, for all you knife junkies I received an e mail that Dawson Knives will be set up there this weekend. Some pretty sweet looking custom blades.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Random question has anyone seen bulk (IE boxes of 50) HST 9mm 147gr ammo? I know Recoil Gun Works used to sell that but it's been a couple years since I went to a 1500. Also if anyone has seen a colt night Cobra I would appreciate a heads up too
    South side of the pavilion: the aisle halfway between the sausage and cheese guy from Ohio (edit: the smoked Gouda is awesome) and Johnson Safes. Large multi-table set up has 50 round boxes of HST.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    While I won't be able to attend, for all you knife junkies I received an e mail that Dawson Knives will be set up there this weekend. Some pretty sweet looking custom blades.

They are next to the NRA-ILA booth and The Brassman. Yesterday they had doughnuts. The bait worked on some, but the experienced doughnut grabbers didn't even break stride.

Top Bottom