• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I earn my living off of table sales of collectables, I have dealt with crowds directly.. 1st rule people are there to get a bargain. If they wanted something at full price they can order
    it off the computer today and it will be delivered to them at their door..

Good prices will overcome poor salesmanship skills as well as a poor table display.. in fact with crazy prices, sales are enhanced by a poor table display & lack of textbook salesmanship skills.

If I was selling at that show this week, I would get some kind of gimmick to get people coming back to my table.. Say a reverse auction ..Write a price on a tag & each hour drop the price by 10 bucks..
    make a big deal out of it....You will have people coming to your booth every hour.. By the end of the show. Everything will be gone.. Hell if you do it right
    you will not be going in Sunday morning.

Not sure that will be as effective on the Milsurp collectors but heck.....who knows.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m on my way with two nice ARs, a Sig P365, a G19 gen5, a Mk IV Hunter, and a Slide Fire new in package to sell. Gotta fund a business startup...

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Well, I give it a "B".

Not quite A level, but hey, it gives me a chance to get out of the cow pastures and cornfields.

On the plus side, I did get to meet uncle Kirk.

Yeah, they're not gonna buy that stuff, counselor.

Need more plastic.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, I give it a "B".

Not quite A level, but hey, it gives me a chance to get out of the cow pastures and cornfields.

On the plus side, I did get to meet uncle Kirk.

Yeah, they're not gonna buy that stuff, counselor.

Need more plastic.

1. Pleasure to meet you.

2. They did buy that stuff. I had a very profitable day.

However, you are right, I am taking schlock down as the high end collector pieces did not move. Crap sells.

Ed explained it as people can only take out $400 at the ATM AND a gun is a gun if you never fire it. It sits in the sock drawer as some magic totem or what not.

If you want to make money, go cheap crap.

It's funny I made my nut and into the black a few hundred just in non-gun sales. No wonder so many dealers have flea market crap on their tables.

This 1500 was an excellent education in the gun culture. Glad I am doing this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1. Pleasure to meet you.

2. They did buy that stuff. I had a very profitable day.

However, you are right, I am taking schlock down as the high end collector pieces did not move. Crap sells.

Ed explained it as people can only take out $400 at the ATM AND a gun is a gun if you never fire it. It sits in the sock drawer as some magic totem or what not.

If you want to make money, go cheap crap.

It's funny I made my nut and into the black a few hundred just in non-gun sales. No wonder so many dealers have flea market crap on their tables.

This 1500 was an excellent education in the gun culture. Glad I am doing this.

Wow. If I go to the gun show I usually have a budget but I have that amount in my pocket or I know the vendors I am buying from have a card reader.
    Interesting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wow. If I go to the gun show I usually have a budget but I have that amount in my pocket or I know the vendors I am buying from have a card reader.
    Interesting.

This particular show, heavy market saturation in Indiana, this particular SES attending, it's down market stuff that is moving.

Guy behind me, Professor Ed (he gave me a fantastic education), is selling fidget spinners, he made a mint. I stood there with my mouth open as he did it.

I completely understand why dealers have flea market stuff on their tables.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Good show, found 300 rounds of 147gr HST for $25 a box of 50. Picked up two boxes of the 38 special HST too at $15 a box. Ran into the Military Arms Channel and said hi bought a couple T-Shirts. Also picked up 4 pounds of Titegroup and a Offset Trijicon RMR mount for my AR and spare RMR so it has a home now.

Very successful show, I also saw two Night Cobras and was disappointing , twice the size and weight of my 360PD and it's only in 38 not 357 mag, Colt is way behind the curve with these IMHO

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a group of friends that are vendors. They own LGS. They deal in the higher end rifles and hand guns. They lament the millennial lack of respect for a fine piece of crafted metal. Plastic with lots of Boolitz. That is the key. Excuse me, I need to go.....:puke:

Sounds like 500 Guns? Probably not a big market among the 1500 crowd for old expensive shotguns and double rifles i'm sure.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Great show, great lessons learned and made just above my goal.

I forecasted the market very, very poorly prior to the show, but was able to adjust and respond to what people sought. (Reinforced the dangers of planned economies for me).

Completely misread the demand for "milsurps". Only sold 5 and did not sell a single Indian Enfield. Did sell one of the K31s (the degreased one) to a very interested and very bright young man. Made me feel good.

People wanted crap, entry level handguns and .22 rifles. I was able to give them this and be rewarded for it.

I sold two options on high end Colts and Smiths. Using my father's tactic of turning one gun into multiple guns I sought out FFLs who showed interest in them, so I will likely trade them as opposed to sell them.

Cannot believe how well the non-gun stuff sold. Like a pack of ravenous wolves, customers devoured 2 big freezer bags of handgun stocks. I have a grand total of 5 left. Every single FNRA knife sold. I made the nut (inlcuding gas and food) for the show and well into the black just on stocks and knives.

Stay super flexible. Learn to read the crowd and always be willing to run and buy .22 ammo for the customer.:D

SPECIAL THANKS: A very large thank you to INGOer Mike Grasso who came part-time Saturday even though he just flew back in Friday from Europe giving his bride a tour of Italy. Mike showed up again Sunday and brought reinforcements AND lunch. Additionally, thanks to Mike, I know have Agent Booth's shotgun. Envy me.:D

Last edited:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Sounds like 500 Guns? Probably not a big market among the 1500 crowd for old expensive shotguns and double rifles i'm sure.
    You'd be pretty surprised at how well they do. A lot of their sales are after the show at the store with people who made initial contact at the show. It only takes selling one $10,000 Drilling to put you well into the black!

Top Bottom