• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    This definitely could be a life changing nomination if the republicans roll over on this one.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    He is no friend of the second amendment but I seriously doubt he would be not only stupid enough, but so disregard the constitution to order or rule in favor of confiscation.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Original source where the NRA says that?

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...on-of-merrick-garland-to-the-us-supreme-court

He's no friend, that's for sure, but I think they are overselling for clicks.

I've never "researched" a judge before.. From what I gather it can be a lot more subjective than looking at a politicians voting record, requiring a deeper understanding of the law and the inner operations of the courts than I currently hold. That being said, my first act was to Google "Garland decision record" and "Garland NRA rating." Is there a comprehensive yet intelligible record available?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Before all the usual suspects, so cavalier about how leftists don't really have something against the 2A, I would remind that the Heller decision was made wiht a single vote margin, with all four liberal justices effectively declaring that the 2A isn't an individual right, even as all other amendments in the BOR are individual rights.
    Before you just scoff and either decide to sit out the elections this go round (bad), or even vote for the Dem (worse), don't be surprised when a reason to bring a decisive 2A case is manufactured as soon as possible after the fifth liberal is confirmed to SCOTUS.
    I will derive no pleasure in saying "I told you so" when the usual folks who vote as they do because their long gone grandpappy told them to are proven wrong.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    He has a record of siding with the government on environmental regulations and accepting challenges to industry from environmental groups. I suspect that some digging would find connections to the climate exchange cabal in chicago, so he's probably being nominated more for enriching the boutique electricity people rather than as a foe for 2A rights.

Always follow the money

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Obama has said that his biggest frustration was not getting anything done on gun control. It seems reasonable that finding a solid anti-gun candidate that Republicans would find politically difficult to reject would be high on the list.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Obama has said that his biggest frustration was not getting anything done on gun control. It seems reasonable that finding a solid anti-gun candidate that Republicans would find politically difficult to reject would be high on the list.

:yesway:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is there a comprehensive yet intelligible record available?

Why yes, yes there is.

From 2010, when he was also considered, but to me that is still very relevant. After that, he knew he was on the short list, so might've held back in some areas.
    The Potential Nomination of Merrick Garland : SCOTUSblog

Don't believe the NRA hype. They are absolutely being alarmist about this. Garland has no 2A track record, really.

He has a record of siding with the government on environmental regulations and accepting challenges to industry from environmental groups.

He also "sides with the government" on criminal cases, departing from more liberal judges. That can also suggest he supports the rule of law, even if the law is poorly conceived or badly written. (Like Roberts and Obamacare.)

I understand INGO will be a 2A-centric place, but there are other important issues out there.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    He has a record of siding with the government on environmental regulations and accepting challenges to industry from environmental groups. I suspect that some digging would find connections to the climate exchange cabal in chicago, so he's probably being nominated more for enriching the boutique electricity people rather than as a foe for 2A rights.

Always follow the money

Well, he is from Illinois, We ALL KNOW how they feel about guns and the 2A in Chicago...

And there is nothing wrong with being alarmist. The devil in the details will be exposed soon enough!

Last edited:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Clinton and Obama are both anti freedom. They both approve of this guy. What more do we need here?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's a difference between legitimate concerns and gross overstatements to get clicks. The article loses credibility when it puts words in the NRA's mouth instead of what they actually said...which is bad enough.

I haven't researched the guy yet beyond what the NRA actually said, but if Clinton liked him I assume I will not.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Why yes, yes there is.

From 2010, when he was also considered, but to me that is still very relevant. After that, he knew he was on the short list, so might've held back in some areas.
    The Potential Nomination of Merrick Garland : SCOTUSblog

Don't believe the NRA hype. They are absolutely being alarmist about this. Garland has no 2A track record, really.

He also "sides with the government" on criminal cases, departing from more liberal judges. That can also suggest he supports the rule of law, even if the law is poorly conceived or badly written. (Like Roberts and Obamacare.)

I understand INGO will be a 2A-centric place, but there are other important issues out there.
    No there's not. Not at this juncture.

Top Bottom