• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    12-21-12: Mayan prophecy, end of the world, NRA press conference; Coincidence? Maybe the NRA is going to cave and it truly will be the end of the world

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    This is interesting. I am just getting back into shooting after a 20 year absence(talk about bad timing!:)). Back then I was an annual NRA member and it seemed like most firearms enthusiast's were.

I am surprised to hear the negative comments. Aren't they a powerful lobby group that protects our rights? Do these other organizations being mentioned have enough political clout to get an ear to listen to them? Can they put pressure on elected officials to vote in support of gun enthusiasts?

I was thinking of joining the NRA and probably still will since I may join a local club which requires membership, but I would like to know if this is just forum opinion or is the NRA really that bad that even 2nd amendment gun nuts are ready to turn their back on them.
    Unfortunately the NRA has not been a friend to military style firearms. They have historically supported various anti-gun laws and even boasted about it years ago in their own publication, the American Rifleman. Here are some quotes from the American Rifleman. This article was published by the NRA in defense of then Senator Kennedy's comments about the NRA having never supported any gun control legislation.

"The NRA supported The National Firearms Act of 1934 which taxes and requires registration of such firearms as machine guns, sawed-off rifles and sawed-off shotguns. ... NRA support of Federal gun legislation did not stop with the earlier Dodd bills. It currently backs several Senate and House bills which, through amendment, would put new teeth into the National and Federal Firearms Acts." —American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 22

"The NRA supported The Federal Firearms Act of 1938, which regulates interstate and foreign commerce in firearms and pistol or revolver ammunition..." -- American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 22

"Many other instances of NRA support for worthwhile gun legislation could be quoted. But these suffice to show that Senator Kennedy's 'terrible indictment' of the NRA is groundless." -- American Rifleman, March 1968, P. 23

More recently (now former) NRA board members held views like this and were not concerned with voicing them publicly on national television.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGySNLyACE[/ame]

Another example of their less than spotless record would be their complete lack of action regarding the Hughes Amendment.

So is the NRA to be trusted? They are the largest pro-gun lobby in the US and they have stood for our rights on many issues, but their track record is far from spotless and they have been known to sell groups of gun owners down the river to protect other groups.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom