• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's what I'm questioning: whether it's a net benefit to the discussion.

Just by drawing connections that people may not have thought of, that places the behaviors that are bewildering with no context, into a plausible framework of relationships. You may see this and still consider it a load of bollocks, as well it may be, but it at least gives you a reference point to work from. It's always of benefit to get brains in gear.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    That's what I'm questioning: whether it's a net benefit to the discussion.

Atheists seem to get butt hurt pretty easy...

I am a Christian and can watch South Park having G W Bush and Jesus defecating on an American flag and throwing poo at each other and not get offended...Even laugh as I knew the point they were trying to make...I can listen to a gay playwright explain why Corpus Christi, a play that portrays Christ and the disciples as a first century AD version of the Village People (with the sex but without the cool disco tunes) is just art and should not be considered offensive...I can listen to another gay artist who did nothing more complicated than take a photo of Christ on a crucifix in a vat of his urine (and get government money for doing it) explain that the reason I do not like it is that I am unsophisticated...As opposed to noticing that's a waste of tax payers money and just, pardon the pun, a **** poor excuse for art...

Don't wave red flags in our face constantly and then act all offended when we, every now and again, tell you how we feel about it...It's just art and opinion so lighten up for Pete's sake...The next thing you all are gonna whine about is the calendar..."But why does it have to be 2015 years since His resurrection? I wasn't there and I am very sophisticated and saw "Zeitgest" on youtube..."

Do you know what's not a net benefit to the conversation? Being offended because some folks believe in something bigger than themselves and respond to those that make light of that....That's called self defense and I think we all, Atheists and believers, can come together that defending oneself from snarky attacks by a commie New York newspaper is just fine.....

Her response was a response to a NYC newspaper (as well as the Democrat candidates) response to a request for prayers for the victims of a tragedy....I didn't hear any of you all whining when Bill Clinton was being accused of rape and strolled everywhere in public with a Bible the size of a Buick under his arm......

bill-clinton-bible-e1276083959253.jpg

"Lord knows that gal wanted it..She just didn't know it yet..."

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Why does the NRA even remotely care about other people's religions?

Many members of the NRA are religious, some are not. I don't think the NRA cares what your affiliation is when you join up. Hopefully, if one of these idiot newspapers blamed some aspect of your life, that you identify with, in combination with your fondness of firearms, they'd rake said idiot newspaper over the coals for tying the two together in such a fashion, blaming some incident on previously mentioned aspect.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Why does the NRA even remotely care about other people's religions?

One, the speaker was Dana Loesch, not the NRA. (Her video included the usual disclaimers about opinions of the speaker not necessarily reflecting the positions held by NRA.)

Two, insofar as NRA does care, I would suggest that NRA cares less about its members' religions, and more about the deeply held beliefs of its members not being ridiculed and scorned by those attempting to score political points toward an agenda of disarmament.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the question is, is the NRA a pro-gun rights organization or is it a pro-gun rights for Christians organization? It's one of the problems I find with conservative Christians, they tend to make organizations favoring political outcomes they like their own at the exclusion of non-Christian conservatives. They did that with the TEA Party. It started off being about tax reform and fiscal responsibility. Then it morphed into a group that became an umbrella lobbying for all conservative Christian social values.

So, do you guys appreciate the support on common issues like gun rights? Do you really want to chase off your non-Christian allies? I respect Dana for where our common interests intersect, but in her NRA sponsored video, I didn't get the feeling that she welcomes my support. All I heard in that video was a steady crescendo of anger directed at opponents based on religious values.

Since this was an NRA video, she could have directed her tirade at our mutual anti-gun opponents but instead she went on a religious rant. I guess I can't blame you guys for supporting people for sticking up for your religious principles, but if the NRA is only for gun owning Christians, I'll let my membership lapse this time around, just like I dropped support for the TEA Party when it became an organization more exclusive to Christian Conservatives.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I think the question is, is the NRA a pro-gun rights organization or is it a pro-gun rights for Christians organization? It's one of the problems I find with conservative Christians, they tend to make organizations favoring political outcomes they like their own at the exclusion of non-Christian conservatives. They did that with the TEA Party. It started off being about tax reform and fiscal responsibility. Then it morphed into a group that became an umbrella lobbying for all conservative Christian social values.

So, do you guys appreciate the support on common issues like gun rights? Do you really want to chase off your non-Christian allies? I respect Dana for where our common interests intersect, but in her NRA sponsored video, I didn't get the feeling that she welcomes my support. All I heard in that video was a steady crescendo of anger directed at opponents based on religious values.

Since this was an NRA video, she could have directed her tirade at our mutual anti-gun opponents but instead she went on a religious rant. I guess I can't blame you guys for supporting people for sticking up for your religious principles, but if the NRA is only for gun owning Christians, I'll let my membership lapse this time around, just like I dropped support for the TEA Party when it became an organization more exclusive to Christian Conservatives.

I'm with you (although I'm a Christian). I am somewhat disappointed, especially since many libertarians are atheist/agnostic/none. However, on the other side of the coin, there are many conservative Christians who do not care for guns. By tying these two threads together, they are perhaps showing to the aforementioned group that there is common cause.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You and I agree on most....

I think what miffed folks is that this is the first time (I am aware of) that prayers were dismissed and what the left wanted was gun control in lieu of prayers...In a mean fashion no less....It seemed to me the dismissive way the NYC paper went after those who were tweeting what many folks tweet, or say, during a tragedy.."Our prayers go out to the family" etc...Deserved a response....The NYC paper let us know how much they looked down their nose at believers and I feel that Dana responded in a like manner....It may be rude and offensive but so was the front page of that paper....Two wrongs don't make a right and I am getting dangerously close to something I can not stand in others, which is saying "If they can do it then why can't we?" and that bothers me a bit...

With that being said many people I admire, you being one, are members of the "Godless" Right and that is okay with me...It's the Godless Left she was attacking and in this case I think they deserved it....I believe you and I could be on a life raft for three days and be chuckling and high fiving each other after rescue without a harsh word crossing between us....I have even worked out a prayer...

"Oh Heavenly Father...Please rescue myself and my Godless companion....And grant me the strength to BS Jamil that the helicopter coming to our rescue was through your divine intervention and not that stupid mirror he used to signal those nude sunbathing chicks on the yacht with.....Amen....":)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

You're making an unsupported assumption that Dana refers only to Christianity. The opposite of "Godless" != "Christian. The opposite of "Christian" != "Godless". Nor does Dana Loesch equate them as such in this video.

Watch the video. She refers to rhetoric against religion, and against deeply cherished American values. She does, one time, refer to attacks against Christmas and demonization of Christianity. But nowhere does she exclude, or even imply exclusion of, other religions.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    One, the speaker was Dana Loesch, not the NRA. (Her video included the usual disclaimers about opinions of the speaker not necessarily reflecting the positions held by NRA.)

It actually says, "The opinions expressed in the following video do not reflect the views of other individuals or organizations." The NRA isn't mentioned in the disclaimer. Besides, the NRA is not a free speech zone and they would not have someone on their videos with whom they disagreed. It's really not a big deal to me, but I just hope they don't continue down this road.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I find this inexcusably stupid. The NRA is a SINGLE ISSUE organization founded on the principle of protecting the 2nd Amendment. Voices and opinions on any other topic are UNWELCOME.

They just alienated this member. How can they be so blind to how many people this will cause to stop donating and stop renewing their membership?

The NRA is supposed to be an organization that UNITES people around a single issue, regardless of any political beliefs they have, at least we all agree on one thing. And now they're throwing this down the drain in favor of divisive politics and other nonsense. The last thing I need to hear is some woman scolding me, a paying member, about how I'm not a member of the right belief for her, and making that video with money I donated.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I find this inexcusably stupid. The NRA is a SINGLE ISSUE organization founded on the principle of protecting the 2nd Amendment. Voices and opinions on any other topic are UNWELCOME.

They just alienated this member. How can they be so blind to how many people this will cause to stop donating and stop renewing their membership?

You're so offended by people of faith, or by the mere mention of faith, that it would cause you to stop renewing your membership?

That's a stellar display of tolerance.

The NRA is supposed to be an organization that UNITES people around a single issue, regardless of any political beliefs they have, at least we all agree on one thing. And now they're throwing this down the drain in favor of divisive politics and other nonsense. The last thing I need to hear is some woman scolding me, a paying member, about how I'm not a member of the right belief for her, and making that video with money I donated.

Except, she didn't do that.

Maybe you should actually listen to what she said in the video?

Top Bottom