• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well done, Hough! There is also a fairly strong statistical connection between high blood sugar and Alzheimer's. They are still investigating the mechanism, but it is suspected to involve an enzyme utilized in the brain to prevent the build up of the abnormal proteins characteristic of Alzheimer's which is degraded by excessive glycation (A1c (more properly hg A1c) is a measure of glycated hemoglobin)

This what happens when you don't see a doctor for 17 years....and then you have the full battery of tests run.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    NeFp7v2.png

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My liver guy was afraid the general anesthetic for my spinal surgery would kick my liver's ass, but it was more like it slapped some sense into it. Before surgery I was on metformin plus they were pumping me so full of two different kinds of insulin to get my fasting down to 140, every doctor or pharmacist that saw my dosage was taken aback. I did manage to get my A1C down to 7.5 for the surgeon. I haven't had a shot of insulin since I was in the hospital, three months now, and my fasting has been running 100± just on the metformin. From experiments I've done with the glucose meter, I can tell my liver has resumed the storage/release function it had failed. It's still weak, and if I overdo my diet it overwhelms it, but it feels a lot better needing a glucose tablet in the morning than having to worry so much what I eat.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Percentage of calories (a measure of chemical energy potential) from fat or sugar is based on total calories

You do realize that calories are directly proportional to the weight (not the volume) and that taking a percentage of calories is the same as taking a percentage of the weight right? What about things that don't have calories, like fiber & vitamins. How are those percent daily values expressed? Sure isn't by volume, nor by calories.

The following numbers are not the actual numbers from the labels because I don't care enough to page back through the thread, but you'll get the idea

If 37 grams of Nutella had 428 calories and 214 of them came from fat, then 50% of its calories come from fat

Thus 32 grams of Nutella would have 370 calories (to nearest calorie) and 185 of them would come from fat, again 50%
    Oh, the irony... tell me you see it!!!

If a gallon of gas from your local gas and go contains 10% ethanol, how much does a half gallon contain

ETA: Don't overthink it. Answer is still 10%
    How does gasoline apply to nutrition labels again?

Oh, just in case you can't see the irony in the middle quote. You just gave me an example to support your argument that volume is used, yet you used a weight measurement to do it. Grams are a weight measurement, not volumetric. Maybe I've just discovered why you're arguing about this; you didn't realize that grams are a weight measurement...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

You do realize that calories are directly proportional to the weight (not the volume) and that taking a percentage of calories is the same as taking a percentage of the weight right? What about things that don't have calories, like fiber & vitamins. How are those percent daily values expressed? Sure isn't by volume, nor by calories.

Oh, the irony... tell me you see it!!!

How does gasoline apply to nutrition labels again?

Oh, just in case you can't see the irony in the middle quote. You just gave me an example to support your argument that volume is used, yet you used a weight measurement to do it. Grams are a weight measurement, not volumetric. Maybe I've just discovered why you're arguing about this; you didn't realize that grams are a weight measurement...

And all twelve of the people in the world who weigh their servings might feel vindicated, but recall that the 'scaled' serving's percentage of sugar and fat calories did not change - only the gross (literally) quantities of same

Let's see; ignore the particular ideas being dealt with in any particular exchange so you can cherry-pick parts of those exchanges and conflate them in such a way that you think it makes your point. Check

Kut, is that you?

Let's break down that mass argument. If a serving of hypothetical food X has 420 calories total and 105 calories from fat, can you calculate the percentage of calories from fat for me? Do you need to know the weight of a serving? Do you need to know the volume? It was percentage we were originally talking about, not percentage of daily value. One is global, one is relative to serving size

If a serving of hypothetical food X weighs 28 grams and has 7 grams of fat, can you calculate the percentage of calories from fat for me? Why not, if relative mass is necessary and sufficient?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My liver guy was afraid the general anesthetic for my spinal surgery would kick my liver's ass, but it was more like it slapped some sense into it. Before surgery I was on metformin plus they were pumping me so full of two different kinds of insulin to get my fasting down to 140, every doctor or pharmacist that saw my dosage was taken aback. I did manage to get my A1C down to 7.5 for the surgeon. I haven't had a shot of insulin since I was in the hospital, three months now, and my fasting has been running 100± just on the metformin. From experiments I've done with the glucose meter, I can tell my liver has resumed the storage/release function it had failed. It's still weak, and if I overdo my diet it overwhelms it, but it feels a lot better needing a glucose tablet in the morning than having to worry so much what I eat.

That's GREAT progress. So now I'm considering spinal surgery.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It seems you're the one cherry-picking the parts of the reply. I get the argument you're making, it's founded on fallacy. I'm pretty sure you're failing to understand how weight, density, and volume are tied to one another and how calories are counted.

Let's break down that mass argument. If a serving of hypothetical food X has 420 calories total and 105 calories from fat, can you calculate the percentage of calories from fat for me? Do you need to know the weight of a serving? Do you need to know the volume? It was percentage we were originally talking about, not percentage of daily value. One is global, one is relative to serving size
    Why, sure I can, I can even back-track it and tell you how many grams of fat and how many grams of sugar/protein there are (+/- reasonable tolerance due to rounding errors). Can you tell me how many tablespoons of hypothetical food there are from only the information you shared? Why not? Is that because you need additional pieces of the puzzle when utilizing volumetric measures?

If a serving of hypothetical food X weighs 28 grams and has 7 grams of fat, can you calculate the percentage of calories from fat for me? Why not, if relative mass is necessary and sufficient?
    No, and neither could you with only the information in volume form. I can tell you there are ~63 calories from fat but without knowing the calories/weight of sugar/protein I cannot calculate the percentage. Give me only the weights of sugars and proteins in addition to what is provided and I could. Because we KNOW the amount of caloriers per gram of protein, per gram of sugar, and per gram of fat, that is why you see labels expressed in weight.

But sticking with your fun little game, if a serving of hypothetical food is 2 tablespoons, and 1/2 tablespoon is fat, can you tell me the percentage of calories from fat? What if I give you the information I requested and I tell you that there is 1/4 tablespoon of sugar and 1/8 tablespoon of protein. Now you can calculate the percent of calories from fat? Still can't do it because you need to know the density of each sugar, each protein, and each fat involved. Why do you need the density? Because you need to be able to calculate the WEIGHT of those items so you can turn the WEIGHT into a known amount of calories.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Point of order: grams are a unit of mass.

Carry on with the silly arguing. ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It seems you're the one cherry-picking the parts of the reply. I get the argument you're making, it's founded on fallacy. I'm pretty sure you're failing to understand how weight, density, and volume are tied to one another and how calories are counted.

Why, sure I can, I can even back-track it and tell you how many grams of fat and how many grams of sugar/protein there are (+/- reasonable tolerance due to rounding errors). Can you tell me how many tablespoons of hypothetical food there are from only the information you shared? Why not? Is that because you need additional pieces of the puzzle when utilizing volumetric measures?

No, and neither could you with only the information in volume form. I can tell you there are ~63 calories from fat but without knowing the calories/weight of sugar/protein I cannot calculate the percentage. Give me only the weights of sugars and proteins in addition to what is provided and I could. Because we KNOW the amount of caloriers per gram of protein, per gram of sugar, and per gram of fat, that is why you see labels expressed in weight.

But sticking with your fun little game, if a serving of hypothetical food is 2 tablespoons, and 1/2 tablespoon is fat, can you tell me the percentage of calories from fat? What if I give you the information I requested and I tell you that there is 1/4 tablespoon of sugar and 1/8 tablespoon of protein. Now you can calculate the percent of calories from fat? Still can't do it because you need to know the density of each sugar, each protein, and each fat involved. Why do you need the density? Because you need to be able to calculate the WEIGHT of those items so you can turn the WEIGHT into a known amount of calories.

So if I want to keep my fat consumption between 20 and 30% of calories, do I need to know the mass or volume of what I eat? Or would it suffice to eat only foods that have a percentage of calories from fat less than 30%?

What might you think eating 30/30/40 would be based on, since I don't need a scale to do it?

Why do my fig bars, for instance, list a serving as two cookies with an estimated mass in parentheses? Could it be that most people can intuitively understand two cookies is the serving size being parsed on the nutrition label. Again, what is necessary and sufficient? If the label tells them a serving is 33 grams, then what? Get out the scales? Which one? Do people (who don't reload) routinely possess scales that accurately can measure weights between 0 and 3 ounces?

If the label says a serving is two cookies, do people need any other equipment to understand exactly what that amounts to?

Do you think maybe that's why servings are given in everyday quantities? Again, I'll say it slowly

The topic under discussion (and not even the original one, the original one was how nutella was essentially entirely fat and sugar) was percentage of calories from fat or sugar (or even protein), not percentage of RDV. One is global, one related to a target number of total calories. If you tell me a food is 70% calories from sugar, I don't need to know anything more specific to know I don't want to eat it

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's GREAT progress. So now I'm considering spinal surgery.

Nah, you don't want to do that if you don't have to. My carcass should by rights have been incinerated at least three or four times in the last few years (I have a practical joke I'm going to play with my ashes) but at least I can walk now. Hey, it's warm enough I should be out fixing my SUV, why am I sitting here?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do my fig bars, for instance, list a serving as two cookies with an estimated mass in parentheses? Could it be that most people can intuitively understand two cookies is the serving size being parsed on the nutrition label. Again, what is necessary and sufficient? If the label tells them a serving is 33 grams, then what? Get out the scales? Which one? Do people (who don't reload) routinely possess scales that accurately can measure weights between 0 and 3 ounces?
    If they're on a diet, then I think that's still common.

FWIW, I always weigh most of my ingredients when baking; it's easier and more precise.

Top Bottom