NWI 2010 Meet & Shoot End of Year Review.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    melensdad....very well said.
    I have been to 3 shoots and after the July shoot I wasn't sure if I was going to attend again. There were just too many people at the line at one time.
    I brought 3 rifles and one pistol that time, I got to shoot 2 of the rifles and just 7 rounds out of the pistol. It's hard to sit at the bench to take a shot when there are people on either side of you shooting and you are getting hit with empties.
    That's when revsaxon and myself moved to the 200yd range.
    I know people have safety concerns, but I felt safer there with all the eyes watching whats going on than when I go shooting by myself with a stranger on either side of me. I am busy shooting and I have no idea how many times a loaded weapon is pointed my way.
    What can or cannot be shot at the 25 yd line seems to be a problem area, It can be suggested that centerfire rifles not be shot there unless you are sighting it in....but then it should be left at that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

How about we just give u 1 of these.
    firecracker.jpg

:D

melensdad....very well said.
    I have been to 3 shoots and after the July shoot I wasn't sure if I was going to attend again. There were just too many people at the line at one time.
    I brought 3 rifles and one pistol that time, I got to shoot 2 of the rifles and just 7 rounds out of the pistol. It's hard to sit at the bench to take a shot when there are people on either side of you shooting and you are getting hit with empties.
    That's when revsaxon and myself moved to the 200yd range.
    I know people have safety concerns, but I felt safer there with all the eyes watching whats going on than when I go shooting by myself with a stranger on either side of me. I am busy shooting and I have no idea how many times a loaded weapon is pointed my way.
    What can or cannot be shot at the 25 yd line seems to be a problem area, It can be suggested that centerfire rifles not be shot there unless you are sighting it in....but then it should be left at that.

I guess that is what I enjoy about these events. The fact that when I'm trying to shoot from the bench there is a ton of noise around me and shelling flying everywhere while I'm trying to focus on my breathing to hit the target. I'm not worried that they (the other INGO members) are being unsafe. Unlike when I have gone to Deb's and it's a bunch of strangers around me and not sure how their safety is.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Melensdad... agree with your post 100%...

Jediagh, those aren't for our meet and shoots, you actually find that strapped to 55 gallon drums of gasoline down at the Knob twice a year... The guys with the 50 cal's keep hitting them as fast as they can move more out there for them to hit... Along with the old boats and cars they shoot up... Now those guys have a real blast and it has been known to be one of the safer shoots of that type held each year...

Anyway's I think all that I considered to be new found friends at INGO are still just that... Still look forward to seeing you guys out at the next meet and shoot in March anyway's.....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Anyway's I think all that I considered to be new found friends at INGO are still just that... Still look forward to seeing you guys out at the next meet and shoot in March anyway's.....

GB you did not get the memo hu? We voted you off the island along with Andy219, Woodrow, GOW, Clif45, 2cool9031, Wild Deuce and anyone else who belongs to the NWI INGO social club. :n00b: That should solve the whole issue of safety on the range. Yes it's the throw the baby out with the tub to solve the issue but hey it works!

In any case it's time to put the little ones to sleep and I don't have more constructive things to say for this post/thread anymore.

Game plan for 2011 MARCH looks to be starting at the 50 yard and seeing where it goes from there.

You know my game plan between now and then so I need to start focusing on that so the group can have some fun in 2011.

Nite, nite cause ELMO NIGHT NIGHT on youtube now has to get played.

@GB
    Is this a good scope BTW?
    Amazon.com: Barska® 20 - 60x60 mm Waterproof Spotting Scope: Sports & Outdoors

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Andy219=dynamite, geronimojoe=spidey and evilblackrifle=scream. Names that are now stuck. I know I'm missing some, but I cast my vote for best nickname as evilblckrifle's scream.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I guess that's one way to make a safe range.... I'll just have to call GOW and Clif up the next time I decide to break out the Saiga 12.... I'm betting that they will find some way to show up and bring more ammo..... LOL....

On the scope check your email, and give me a call so we can get you looking through something that won't hurt your eye's....

Elmo hmmmm.... the things parents do to get quiet time..... LOL...

LocustsOfSteel

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Beverly Shores
    All I have to say is ....We sure beat the heck out of this thread!

You stand correct on that note, it was like reading a depressing book with the long whiny posts a few people left.

I've been rather busy over the last week, so now I have a lot to catch up on with this site...:rolleyes:

Jedi, I promise to get back to you soon about the picnic table letter.

My take on the event is as follows:

General:
    It was everything I hoped it would be, a social event instead of a formal one.
    This is a great group of people and they made this event more about meeting, talking to and getting to know each other, eating, trying out and getting a feel for new firearms, and just being merry... rather than another event that is solely based on excessive competition, excessive rules, and tight grouping on paper.

Damage:
    The plywood was damaged before we got there and we just wore it out the rest of the way.
    The lawn was messed up due to the low height of the mobile stands, and I will bring some grass seed the next time, and we will have to agree on a time for walking up closer as a group for those who have bad eyesight and/or short barreled handguns.

Safety:
    It was crowded, and I too got plinked in the side of the head by empty cases... but cases to the head made me feel more alive, and the crowding wasn't too frantic for my sense of safety.
    And for those who feel uncomfortable shooting shoulder to shoulder, If we bring more chairs then less people will be inclined to pack the lanes.
    I didn't see any screwups except for one guy who fired my revolver, I counted him fire all 5 rounds, and he briefly swept me while turning back and ejecting the spent cases... But that was no big deal, as I knew that he had discharged everything it had in it.
    I agree that this event needs a more pronounced group RO, I'll pitch in for a neon vest and an air-horn for the next shoot, we need to ask for 2 volunteers to take turns as RO so that way one person isn't being deprived of fun at the entire event... Those people should be known as responsible people, but not nazis.

Other:
    I agree that rifles are not best suited for the 25, however it's OK for people to use them if they are sighting in or new to shooting.
    For the sake of non-INGO visitors to the range, we should only use half the 25 and half the 50, these sections can be temporarly marked to make it easyer for both INGOers and non-INGOers to understand where they should and should-not shoot... Perhaps we can make a standing sign or something?

Last note:
    For those who feel that someone is making or has made a mistake, it would be best for you to bring it up with them, just try to be gentile with them about it instead of scaring them away from the group.
    Repeatedly posting your fury about those infractions on the internet rather than handling the situation is something that could do harm to the reputation of any and all gun owners via biased news agency's and anti gun groups.
    Think before you speak, and think harder before you wright.

That's about all I can think to say about the event, and this thread, it's late, I'm signing out.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Where would we be without the nazis? lol

BTW, I never heard back from you Jediagh. I'll just write my thoughts down and email them (without the benefit of discussion).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where would we be without the nazis? lol
    A 2nd world country at best maybe even a third world but me thinks juts a 2nd world country. The UN may have never been formed. We might not have spilt the atom first nor created the 1st A-Bomb. Suspect that the Russians would have beat us to it if the Nazis were never around. Recall that before WWII we were not #1 in the world. Europe nations were. But since they beat the crap out of each other and left that area in total disaster we coasted to #1.

BTW, I never heard back from you Jediagh. I'll just write my thoughts down and email them (without the benefit of discussion).

Sry... Turkey day came too quick & now it's the holiday season. I never did hear back from the "core" either regarding the other project.

But I think it was woodrow that stated it but melensadad that wrote it.
    No matter what we do (rules wise) we have no way to enforce it. IT IS A PUBLIC RANGE AFTER ALL. So even if we were to "kick someone off the island" the would just go to the next open bay and shoot as well. :dunno:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I was jokingly asking where would any conversation be without the Nazis. (not quite a reference to Godwin's law but more of a reference to a Seinfeld epsiode ... I think.) Using the nazi punching bag is not exactly fitting (not referring to anyone in particular since the word nazi has been used several times already) in this situation when you are comparing the end goal of etiher side in this debate.

The debate is more about personal preference as to what level of fun and what level of safety one is prepared to accept. I would propose that having fun and being safe are not mutually exclusive goals divorced from each other.

Just thought of this ... has anyone ever seen the term fun nazi?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just thought of this ... has anyone ever seen the term fun nazi?

well u did not use purple. :D

As for fun nazi...

Urban Dictionary: fun nazi

As for fun nazi here are a few for you.

First YOUR president (yours = WD, GB, GoW, and Clif45) :D
    images

Not to be out done here is melensdad's president
    CARTOON-Nazi-Bush.jpg

Peas from the same pod me would say. :laugh:

Now if you really want a fun nazi perhaps she can help you. Some fun times I'm sure of it. ;)
    nazi-cos3.jpg

Or if ya prefer the other sex then here is one fun nazi "boy" for you as well.
    harry_06_1101_22816a.jpg

lastly for all you geeks. I'm sure these were fun nazis had they had an AT-AT in the upcoming battle. :laugh:
    1.jpg

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    We might not have spilt the atom first nor created the 1st A-Bomb. Suspect that the Russians would have beat us to it if the Nazis were never around. Recall that before WWII [?] we were not #1 in the world. Europe nations were. But since they beat the crap out of each other and left that area in total disaster we coasted to #1 [?!].

"coasted?"

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "coasted?"

yeah I guess those hundreds of thousands of soldiers that died don't count.....:dunno:

I don't have a source guess I should look it up one day but I recall in high school that is what our teacher told us. Prior to the WWII America was a rising star but was not influential country is became after the war. In addition we were not the most modernize either. Europe was a tad bit ahead of us. What helped the US surpass Europe was the war. Not by us participating in it but the plain fact that Europe was left a total waste land after the war both physically and population wise.

Many talented Europeans (ie. scientist, chemist, engineers, etc..) came to America after the war. The US was one of the few industrial nations left intact and could still produce and sell to the masses mainly Europe. Thus why I was "coasted". There was no competition (global wise) to compete in terms of our economy.

In addition we the only nation with the A-bomb (even though we did not have anymore) we all of a sudden had a big weapon and the world better listen for fear of getting what Japan got.

Remove WW2 from the equation & America would have remained isolated (it did not go into the war by choice recall it did not want anything to do with that war until HI got hit. Europe was ahead in terms of industry, we probably would have caught up and perhaps surpassed them but the devastation of the war gave us a big lead after the fact.

That is what I am talking about in terms of coasted. We have not been a superpower for long.

Top Bottom