• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Melensdad, how do you feel about making laws against texting, or other activities that can cause harm to others, not just the driver?

I also oppose those laws.

Yes, texting while driving is just plain stupid and it pisses me off when I see it. Its already against the law in many areas but that law is largely ignored.

Guess we better stop using cars then. Don't want a mess.
    EXACTLY.

We can't legislated against everything.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you go through your windshield and die or turn into a vegetable, it affects more people than just you. We were also referring to helmets earlier; same deal. Some guy riding a bike without a helmet may not care, but his death will affect his spouse and/or kids.

And I mentioned the ever-changing "new kinds of stupid" (texting, for example). There are so many different kinds of stupid (like people holding their kids' hands while they drag them in front of moving vehicles that they assume will see them and stop). I know we can't keep up with them all, but how far do we go? I don't have the answers.

Melensdad, how do you feel about making laws against texting, or other activities that can cause harm to others, not just the driver?
    It should not be the .gov's job to try to protect us from ourselves. That is the bottom line.

How do you justify owning a gun with that line of thought?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It should not be the .gov's job to try to protect us from ourselves. That is the bottom line.

How do you justify owning a gun with that line of thought?

Not just justifying a gun!

When we talk about seatbelt laws we are talking about POTENTIAL HARM to the driver in the car.

Why not talk about WOMEN as POTENTIAL whores? Or how about we talk about men as POTENTIAL rapists. After all women have the equipment to be prostitutes. Men have the equipment to be rapists. Therefore the potential to do harm exists.

Obviously gun owners have the POTENTIAL to cause all sorts of mayhem.

I was just reading an article earlier today, a university in North Dakota has declared sport fencing equipment to be dangerous weapons so while the school is trying to start a fencing team the regents at the school consider the equipment to be POTENTIALLY too dangerous for the students to use and therefore the team is having all sorts of grief. http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/ndsu/

Where will the stupidity end?

How much liberty will we give up in the name of safety?

Remember the words of the wise sage and statesman Ben Franklin:

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do you think your doing some lowly volunteer firefighter a service by getting him out of bed at 2AM to hose your brains off the interstate?
    You're right.
    I want to add nomex suits to my list of things that should be mandated.
    Better yet, get rid of cars altogether.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can't shout FIRE in a crowded theatre. Clearly there are limits to the 1st Amendment.

Sure you can.
    [video=youtube;ouZ-0EXnbj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZ-0EXnbj8[/video]
    You can't shout fire wrongly in a crowded theater
    Close. But not quite.
    The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic.

Top Bottom