2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Council tweaks controversial target practice ordinance

Hamm said the ordinance will be on the agenda for a second reading and possible passage on Nov. 13.

Start making those phone calls.
    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/article_9286a60c-1c90-5b6d-92c0-747145bfd3b5.html

The amendments to the 2009 ordinance include the following:

• Discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting at a shooting range within 300 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre or less, as defined by the Lake County Code.

• The 300 feet zone includes the area of each side of the shooting range and behind the “back stop” on the shooting range.

• A berm or backstop must be constructed into which the bullet or shotgun load will be shot. That berm must be constructed of material and built to the specifications approved by the National Rifle Association.

• No potentially dangerous projectile, including but not limited to a bullet or shotgun shell shall leave the property upon which the shooting range is located.

• The shooting range can only be used between 10 a.m. and dusk.

So if you need 300' on each side and 300' behind the berm and your berm 25' wide and 10' deep and your range is at 100' that makes it 625' wide and 410' deep and that makes it's footprint 5.888269054 acres.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI

Hamm said the ordinance will be on the agenda for a second reading and possible passage on Nov. 13.

• Discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting at a shooting range within 300 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre or less, as defined by the Lake County Code.

• The 300 feet zone includes the area of each side of the shooting range and behind the “back stop” on the shooting range.

• A berm or backstop must be constructed into which the bullet or shotgun load will be shot. That berm must be constructed of material and built to the specifications approved by the National Rifle Association.

• No potentially dangerous projectile, including but not limited to a bullet or shotgun shell shall leave the property upon which the shooting range is located.

"That distance was not sufficient for Sid, who wanted to see it extended from 300 to 1,000 feet of property in residentially-zoned subdivisions."

Jesus christ, they say it is for "the safety of children playing in their back yards" but how many issues are we currently having with children in their back yards? It would be nice if they actually tried focusing on the gang and violence related issues for once.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm done visiting the mouse. I even missed the rain from the hurricane. I'll be safely home in my bed tonight, hiding under the sheets to protect myself from errant bullets fired by hillbilly mouth breathers.

"That distance was not sufficient for Sid, who wanted to see it extended from 300 to 1,000 feet of property in residentially-zoned subdivisions."

Jesus christ, they say it is for "the safety of children playing in their back yards" but how many issues are we currently having with children in their back yards? It would be nice if they actually tried focusing on the gang and violence related issues for once.

They should have including a ban on DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS too.

Seems to me they didn't actually do much. Making sure people are responsible for their bullet landing on their own property is reasonable, always has been. And it only affects people shooting next to subdivisions with smaller lots, where they should be careful anyway. It does not affect subdivisions that have larger lots except building a berm. It does not affect rural residents outside of subdivisions except making them build a berm. Unless they are shooting next to (into) inhabited subdivisions.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the "10am - dusk" part already coordinates with a nuisance noise ordinance that is on the county books.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    I'm done visiting the mouse. I even missed the rain from the hurricane. I'll be safely home in my bed tonight, hiding under the sheets to protect myself from errant bullets fired by hillbilly mouth breathers.

They should have including a ban on DRIVE BY SHOOTINGS too.

Seems to me they didn't actually do much. Making sure people are responsible for their bullet landing on their own property is reasonable, always has been. And it only affects people shooting next to subdivisions with smaller lots, where they should be careful anyway. It does not affect subdivisions that have larger lots except building a berm. It does not affect rural residents outside of subdivisions except making them build a berm. Unless they are shooting next to (into) inhabited subdivisions.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the "10am - dusk" part already coordinates with a nuisance noise ordinance that is on the county books.
    My main concern is the trap range I just started shooting at. It is fairly close to, if not in a residential area and it seems that having to construct a berm or backstop would make shooting trap impossible. They shoot well into the night after dark with the use of flood lights. I'm not positive but doesn't the current noise ordinance not take effect until 10pm?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI

Glad this is being tracked. I posted about it a week ago, but there was too much focus on the trial in Chicago.

Don't forget about the most important piece (which makes this "may issue" status)
    Szarmach also said practice ranges can only be on property zoned A-1 agricultural and would only be allowed if the Lake County Plan Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals approve them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom