• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That property has been suggested, and any other suggestions are welcome.

This is a discussion, and may never go any further. In my experience nothing ever gets done unless One person takes it by the horns and gets it done, or a group of like minded folks get together and do it.

A porter county location has been suggested, that would be pretty convenient for me, but many cautions have already been thrown out. Peru with no specific location has been suggested. That would make it convenient for Indianapolis folk, but it is farther than Winamac for NWI folk. I personally think that for northern Indiana the Plymouth vicinity would be ideal, it is mid state east to west.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    Just to input some info. Our little range is members and guests only (private) We are a 501 c 3 under a conservation of fish and wildlife / hunting club. Thus we are tax exempt for the most part. We operate solely on a volunteer basis with no paid employees. Grounds maintenance and the equipment to do so is our biggest ongoing expense. We charge a small membership fee and a as used range fee to keep the place afloat. Making the property available for firearms training classes for a fee has helped our financial outlook in the last few years. Also Logging the property last year put some funds in our bank account. I have been the club president for the past 5 years and would be more than willing to meet up and help out any way I can.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Starke County would be a good place to look. Taxes are low, plenty of land available and close to major north/south, east/west roads. I'll look and see what is for sale at the moment.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    We have the NIPSCO 24in pipe line with the high tension wires and on the other side of the house is a wolverine pipe line. I would say the NIPSCO lines and pipe run pretty much down the middle of those 26 acres.
    IF it's the property I was looking at on the gis site, I think we'd catch grief from the power company and the neighbors.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    IF it's the property I was looking at on the gis site, I think we'd catch grief from the power company and the neighbors.

If N Shawnee Trail was on the other side of the property then you were looking at the right one. I shoot here on my yard though only a good 20-25 yd lane. I've never had problems with my neighbors. I live at the bottom of the cul da sac. I can hear others shooting nearby as well sometimes for a good solid 2-3 hrs.

BF that pretty much seems to be the way it works. Especially if we get the ball rolling and few years down the road things just seem to fizzle away.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    I at this time and NOT interested in this idea.
    There are already several "membership" ranges in the area in NWI (ie. NPPCC, The Issac Wal??? ones, Michigan City Club, Valpo, etc...) they all have pros and cons for those of us in LAKE county the big one being "distance". I think for many of us in LAKE county if such a range would be in LAKE county that would tip the scale but way too much "stuff" in LAKE county for this unless we go southern LAKE county. There is open land on US41 close to the NEWPORT line that borders IL.

Still if WINAMAC where to ever become like Kingsbury and Willow S then MAYBE I would be more incline to entertain this idea. But then we run into a bigger issue. We lose our "connection" with the community and with DNR. We have made many a new friends when we hold our NWI INGO Meet & Shoots. Plus we have introduced many kids, and 1st time adult shooters at WINAMAC. This, while possible, at the new NWI Range would its a LOT of work that we can only do with the help of DNR WINAMAC and the 4H group.

Jedi

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Had a thought that I want to throw out there. What if INGO worked with an existing range to organize member only days. Start with maybe four designated days a month and adjust accordingly based on response. The dates could be advertised properly and in advance so members can arrange their schedules. A range in central Indiana would work. Finding one that is open to the idea would obviously be key. I will brace myself for responses.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    26 acres seems really big when it is a yard you need to mow, but gets small in a hurry for a multi use gun club. The NRA has lots of engineering help available for building/improving ranges. With any center fire cartridge, especially rifles, there is a big concern with the "fan" of bullet placement. That is the likely angles and the distance from the firing point that an accidental discharge that misses the berm is likely to land. My suggestion is to look for 100 plus acres. Especially land in a valley that would be difficult to farm. Just my two cents.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    i would love to have access to a good private range. I'm frankly not happy about what I've heard so far about Willow Slough, largely because I think $7/hour is way too high for a public range on state property. But I admit I don't know enough about it yet to form an informed opinion, so I'll wait until I've gone there at least once and informed myself.

One thing I have had experience with is the problems faced by acquaintances who wanted to open a private outdoor range in Newton Co. on property they owned. They faced a great deal of resistance from neighboring landowners and a hostile zoning board whose primary criteria obviously had nothing to do with zoning regs and everything to do with counting voters and party donors opposed versus voters and donors in favor. Th people who showed up to support the range at zoning board meetings clearly outnumbered those opposed, but several of the neighbors opposed were well-connected politically in Newton Co. The people who wanted to open the range never had a chance.

Before even considering buying property all the legalities must be settled.

Last edited:

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Had a thought that I want to throw out there. What if INGO worked with an existing range to organize member only days. Start with maybe four designated days a month and adjust accordingly based on response. The dates could be advertised properly and in advance so members can arrange their schedules. A range in central Indiana would work. Finding one that is open to the idea would obviously be key. I will brace myself for responses.

I like this idea. It would be a good first step, in any case, while the possibilities of buying property and opening our own range are explored.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Another thought. I live in Cedar Lake, but I would be willing to drive a ways to get to a good private range with even a 200 yard rifle range. This is an NWI deal, but we should take into consideration that property costs and the difficulties of finding a safe place with proper zoning and understanding neighbors will likely require as rural a setting as NWI can provide.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Of all the private clubs we have in nwi that imo is the best in terms of facilities. Indoor pistol range, real bathrooms, 2 club houses for events, outdoor ranges, camping area.

Top Bottom