• Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Out of the amature youtubers I personally like ScubaOz

https://m.youtube.com/user/ScubaOz

Nothing against TNoutdoors but he gets a little to much OCD on if the bullet loos a a fraction of weight. Which some if your older yet still effective SJHP revolver rounds tend to do.

The FBI protocal actually is a joint venture working with IWBA which the whole 12-18" thing came about during the after action on the FBI Miami shooting (showing my age)

I want to like Scuba, but his abuse of "guys" I can't get over. He burns through his daily quota in 5 min.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Well this is no fun at all:

On May 18, an NYPD sergeant and an officer fired nine shots at Garry Conrad, after the enraged man approached three cops with an 8-inch blade on Eighth Ave. and 49th St. Conrad did not survive. Another outlet's erroneous report suggested two bullets didn’t penetrate Conrad’s non-bullet-proof Carhartt jacket, but Inspector Emanuel Katranakis on Thursday reiterated what police told the Daily News at the time.
    ...“The ammunition and the projectiles functioned as designed,” Katranakis said.
    The bullets did not penetrate the back of Conrad’s jacket.
    “There was not enough energy to perforate the rear articles of clothing. This is not the first time. This is a common occurrence,” Katranakis said

So by implication, they want through the front, just not the back. So stand behind the guy wearing the Carhartt, I guess.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    From DocGKR, who is a recognized expert on ammunition and the testing of it:

9 mm Corbon 100 gr +P PowerBall 1555 f/s from G17
    BG: pen=10.9”, RD=0.60”, RW=93.9gr
    4LD: pen=11.4”, RD=0.58”, RW=97.5gr
    The mighty 4.7” of pen after the auto windshield was not comforting…

.40 S&W Corbon 135 gr Powerball from S&W 4006
    BG: vel=1362 f/s, pen=11.6”, RD=0.65”, RW=131.4gr
    4LD: vel=1359 f/s, pen=12.1”, RD=0.65”, RW=131.9gr
    auto windshield: vel=1365 f/s, pen=7.9”, RD=0.61”, RW=103.6gr

.45 ACP Corbon 165 gr +P Powerball from 1911
    BG: vel=1230 f/s, pen=12.1”, RD=0.70”, RW=158.8gr
    4LD: vel=1267 f/s, pen=11.8”, RD=0.66”, RW=159.7gr
    auto windshield: vel=1251 f/s, pen=5.5”, RD=0.73”, RW=143.5gr

The frequent core-jacket separations and rounded leading edges of the PB
    loads are a concern, as is their poor terminal performance after intermediate
    barrier penetration. We were frankly unimpressed with these loads. If you
    have to use Corbon handgun loads, stick with their DPX loadings of the
    superb Barnes XPB all copper bullets.

I failed to thank you promptly for the further targeted info, BBI. Mea culpa - allow me to do so now

I tried to run down some info on DocGKR but it seems he doesn't have his own blog or website but posts on several (many?) others is that correct? Everything I read by him I really liked and I get the feeling he does know his stuff but he seems to have a Jekyll/Hyde reputation on a number of those sites. Is it just jealousy of a know-it-all who really does appear to know it all?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just can't have a NYPD chootin without a damn bystander gettin in the way of their boolits.;)

Instead of banning Big Gulps, they should ban bystanders.:popcorn:
    With the Statism rampant there, it's inevitable that you'd have a lot of people standing around.

and it's sorta populated as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried to run down some info on DocGKR but it seems he doesn't have his own blog or website but posts on several (many?) others is that correct? Everything I read by him I really liked and I get the feeling he does know his stuff but he seems to have a Jekyll/Hyde reputation on a number of those sites. Is it just jealousy of a know-it-all who really does appear to know it all?

I don't know that any one knows it all, but in his wheel house he's a guy I'd listen to. I've questioned him on things and ask the "how do you know what you know" sort of questions, but I would have to have pretty compelling evidence to set something he says aside in the realm of terminal ballistics.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Just got back from Manhattan (NYC) did not see anyone in Carhartt, maybe due to the 85 degree temperatures, Freaking INDY 1500 sidewalk show crowd, except nobody wearing any " real tree" camo either.

Top Bottom