• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Okay, I'll say it. Why does a police department need an armored vehicle or a plane or drone ? The sheriff's department in Boone County, not exactly a hotbed of social unrest, is the proud owner of one such vehicle. I'm not sure it ever leaves the garage except for an occasional photo op or spot in the annual 4th of July parade.

Let me be clear - This isn't an attack on the Boone County Sheriff. I know, like and voted for Mike Nielson. He only inherited the vehicle from his predecessor. Nonetheless, the question I am compelled to ask is why and how we citizens of Boone came to be so well protected is a good question. I also assume Boone County isn't singularly unique in its inventory of armament.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Okay, I'll say it. Why does a police department need an armored vehicle or a plane or drone ? The sheriff's department in Boone County, not exactly a hotbed of social unrest, is the proud owner of one such vehicle. I'm not sure it ever leaves the garage except for an occasional photo op or spot in the annual 4th of July parade.

Let me be clear - This isn't an attack on the Boone County Sheriff. I know, like and voted for Mike Nielson. He only inherited the vehicle from his predecessor. Nonetheless, the question I am compelled to ask is why and how we citizens of Boone came to be so well protected is a good question. I also assume Boone County isn't singularly unique in its inventory of armament.

Armored vehicle uses in Indy include barricaded suspect in a residence. Their are psychological aspects as well as a way for the negotiator/observers to closely observe the residence without worrying there is a scope settling on their forehead. Evacuation of people from the perimeter. Providing cover for injured person while they are evac'd.

Drones, simply a cheaper helicopter. People flee on foot and its much easier to keep track of them from the air, especially with FLIR.

Planes, not so much in urban environments. Very rural areas like Alaska, though, make use of them in the same way we make use of patrol cars.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    Our tax dollars paid for these vehicles already and generally PD's get them free. So it's a winner. The president says protestors need a even playing field with Police. Screw em. What we need is mobile water cannons like the Israelis recently used on Nigerian protestors. Break up the riot and send em home squeaky clean.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So "...(s)ome would argue that the militarization of our police is a huge loser. . . "? Perhaps you might think back to when that "militarization" started to take place? Say, when foreign drug gangs began to take over the drug trade here in the US? When they started using automatic weapons? When they didn't think twice about shooting it out with law enforcement? I wonder whether or not the "Continuum of Force" principle would apply here: when someone uses force against a citizen or a law enforcement officer, the assaultee is allowed to use one step up against the assaulter (as I remember it). If the bad guys are using rifles and automatic weapons, should not the police be allowed to go a step further and utilize heavy armor? That's basically what the militarization of the police is doing.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    So "...(s)ome would argue that the militarization of our police is a huge loser. . . "? Perhaps you might think back to when that "militarization" started to take place? Say, when foreign drug gangs began to take over the drug trade here in the US? When they started using automatic weapons? When they didn't think twice about shooting it out with law enforcement? I wonder whether or not the "Continuum of Force" principle would apply here: when someone uses force against a citizen or a law enforcement officer, the assaultee is allowed to use one step up against the assaulter (as I remember it). If the bad guys are using rifles and automatic weapons, should not the police be allowed to go a step further and utilize heavy armor? That's basically what the militarization of the police is doing.

No we're not supposed to do that because it's not "equal".

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lol there's so many already out there plus they'll just use cheaper 37mm launchers or I bet they can just buy new made ones just like machine guns. This is one piece of equipment I actually don't have a problem with police having. This is basically just smoke
    pun intended

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I wonder if this is testing the waters a bit for just how far reaching an Exec Order could be in restricting "small arms" and "military style" equipment. Technically speaking civilians can purchase a lot of military surplus items, from weapons (through the CMP), ammunition (through various companies), to vehicles (surplus auctions with HMMV's, 2.5 Ton trucks, etc.).

As usual, Obama is using emotion, current public opinion, and recent events to make the decision vs. using impartial logic and reasoning.

I don't fall into the tinfoil hat crowd, so I don't really mind if the police have military surplus stuff. I wish our society was at a point where police didn't think there was a need for it, but I am enough of a realist to know that it at least appears that violence is escalating vs. declining. My only real concern with the MRAP's and such is the high cost to taxpayers given the very high maintenance costs.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Oh, well, I agree that should be so, but except for variations in state laws, how is it not so? The only thing that prohibits a citizen from having the same weapons as police - aside from state laws like the former Indiana law prohibiting short barreled shotguns - is money and a background check. Automatic weapons are available for sale to civilians, albeit horrifically expensive, as are armored cars.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is the deal with the left's fixation on bayonets? I'm not sure if the FBI keeps track, but how many crimes have been committed with a bayonet? How many bayonet muggings take place, or bayonet holdups? I don't recall seeing police with fixed bayonets during any of the recent uprisings. Maybe it's a Freudian thing or something, but I just don't get it.

Top Bottom