• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Apparently, many are skipping the part where he was leaving and walking towards his vehicle with the idiot still yelling behind him. I have no pity for him. He was disorderly and deserved to be cuffed. He didn't show any ID that proved the residence was his unless that ID had an address on it. And the fact that Gates himself said that there was a breakin attempt a few nights before asserts the fact that it was okay the officer was there checking on the property.

GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    I keep hearing this. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the officer has at least as good a claim, probably a better one, against Gates? Gates is a professional racist, and is profitting handsomely in terms of attention which he'll parlay into money, from calling Cowley a racist. A defamation claim, particularly given the caliber of folks speaking up for Cowley, has an excellent chance of being successful. A complaint against Gates... not nearly as clear cut.
    Haha! Your honor the defendent is a professional racist!..I got a laugh from this. These threads are hilarious.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    INflamatory Red Print!!

What is sad and disturbing to me is

1. The officer saw a man through a window and never drew his weapon?
    Why NOT? if he did why isn't that in the report?
    What if the man WAS the intruder and Was armed?

2. Once the officer had confirmed the mans identity to the officers satisfaction,
    Why did he stay around?

3. Since when is speech (right or wrong ) a crime in the United states of
    america?

4. The Man was inside his residence. The excuse to go outside was PURELY Tactical. Why wasn't / isn't the officer being charged with false arrest? or abuse of office? The officers continued presence after the fact finding mission was over was THE catalyst of the mans continued rage (Right or Wrong).

5. Since when is one man being loud in his own home cause for more than one department to respond to a call? Are they that understaffed?

I'd like to hear the 911 call tapes and the officers radio recordings. I am relatively sure there is MUCH MUCH more to this than is being written in the police report.

I would also investigate the possibility of a conflict or other contact between the officer and the resident before this all happened. They were obviously on opposite sides of a growing controversy in the political realm. It is possible they knew of each other or were aware of each other before hand? Also had the resident been in direct contact with the police positively or negatively prior to this event?

Why didn't he get his obligatory beating? He was rude and loud with an agent of the government, that alone should have got him roughed up some? RIGHT? I mean how dare we voice our displeasure with the agent of the government. He should have just got on his knees and said yes Sir` sir, and yes Sir`sir I own this house, while crossing his legs and putting his hands behind his head so the agent of the government wouldn't "feel" threatened. RIGHT? He should have known to have his ID with all the proper pictures and proof of his citizenship, so the agent of the government would know he was a free man and allowed to own the house. Right?

Think that was over the top? there are those that would have citizens carry ID at all times or be arrested. There are places where the obligatory smack down is common place even today. There are LEOs who choose who is law biding and who isn't simply by looking at them. There are also LEO's who once they have decided that one meets the profile, it is a matter of time until the "perp" makes a mistake that allows the LEO to investigate.

Believe it isn't so? Well it is. Is it all that common? NO but how many times does it take for one "bad apple" to taint a law biding citizens concept of Law enforcement as a whole?

For me personally it isn't about Race, it is about a supposed professional not knowing when to walk away and defuse the situation. The LEO was the one being paid, He was the catalyst that brought the man into the public space.

Racist? I don't know, but unprofessional at best, and criminal at worst. If this officer had prior dealing with or knowledge of this man, then in my opinion, He should be the one looking at time. He used his professional knowledge against a Citizen in his own home doing nothing but being loud. ( right or wrong ).

Remember when protect and serve were the mission statement of the police? Who did this officer serve by baiting him to go outside with him? By the way how about the old times when "lets take it outside" meant to settle things physically?

Sorry If this seems over the top but the talk of the president and what he thinks or doesn't really doesn't matter to me, I know who and what he is. I won't give a politician the time ( space) in my head to intelligently discuss him one way or the other. They aren't worth it.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ah. So if I were ever to be unfortunate enough to be a victim of burglary, and had a neighbor alert and caring enough to call 911, I should take solace in the fact that responding officers were "led to believe" the guy they found in my home was the homeowner and just left? Maybe he was indignant and flashed a Burger King namebadge?

Considering we don't yet (fully) live in a police state, explain to us how the officer could 'compel' the person who is in the home claiming to be the owner to "prove it"?

We will never know how the situation may have unfolded if Dr. Gates had said something like, "Yes this is my house, here's my driver's license. Thanks for making sure this neighborhood stays safe." I can't imagine that it would have ended like this, though.
    Given the circumstances we know to be true, I would cheerfully show my state issued ID, even though I wouldn't HAVE to show it. Why? because I understand my Rights as well as the position the officer is in.

On the flip side, if some random cop came by asking for ID I'd tell them to pound sand. On my own property in the State of Indiana I do not have to show ANY ID. None.

Like I said before, I'm not excusing the "liberal scum bag" for his actions, I'm simply pointing out that once the cop was sure the "LSB" was the owner (which he admits he too before Gates went outside) the cops should have left. Immediately. Sticking around and getting into a pissing match with the home owner shows how insecure that cop was. It's pathetic.

The cop did his job (up until the pissing contest on the lawn). So what the home owner didn't appreciate it? You shouldn't expect a pat on the back and an "atta-boy" every time for just doing your job. Thats what happened here, the home owner wasn't kissing the cops @$$ so the cop arrested him for it. Nothing more.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Considering we don't yet (fully) live in a police state, explain to us how the officer could 'compel' the person who is in the home claiming to be the owner to "prove it"?

Given the circumstances we know to be true, I would cheerfully show my state issued ID, even though I wouldn't HAVE to show it. Why? because I understand my Rights as well as the position the officer is in.

On the flip side, if some random cop came by asking for ID I'd tell them to pound sand. On my own property in the State of Indiana I do not have to show ANY ID. None.

Like I said before, I'm not excusing the "liberal scum bag" for his actions, I'm simply pointing out that once the cop was sure the "LSB" was the owner (which he admits he too before Gates went outside) the cops should have left. Immediately. Sticking around and getting into a pissing match with the home owner shows how insecure that cop was. It's pathetic.

The cop did his job (up until the pissing contest on the lawn). So what the home owner didn't appreciate it? You shouldn't expect a pat on the back and an "atta-boy" every time for just doing your job. Thats what happened here, the home owner wasn't kissing the cops @$$ so the cop arrested him for it. Nothing more.

I think he had to prove it was his house, I mean there was a report made that a man was breaking in and he did break in he admits it. I know it seems weak, just because some neighbor says he was breaking in. If the cop does not know this guy he has check that some woman is not tied up in the basement, is there not a probable cause here? I am no LEO but I wish one would jump in here and let us know.

Once the "LSB" was outside and screaming then it could be disorderly conduct, I don't know how bad it was but maybe he was threatening.
    Both parties could have handled thing differently, I like you would have showed him my ID and been done with it. Cops almost always get the bad rap hell I don't want that job, their hands are tied now because some scumbag lawyer sues the department over anything and the liberal judges agree with it.

Lets see the officers record and put that up against Gates big mouth.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ok I agree with you about being "lured" into a situation where you are violating the law, that's not right. However just because said person is naive enough to do it doesn't make me feel sorry for them. I don't recall reading about the officers dragging him out of his home and then arresting him. He came out and continued to be disorderly on his own free will. Therefore was infact in violation.

The officer didn't say "hey why dont you come yell at me like that in the front yard" did he? Still dont feel sorry for him and I stand by the officer.

I don't disagree that the officer was within his appointed powers to do what he did, nor that Gates was being a jerk about the situation.

I dislike the way that this becomes an "us vs. them" situation; specifically the public vs. law enforcement. Crowley isn't doing the public any good by arresting Gates; he should have been the bigger man to be courteous and be on his way when he discovered that there was no crime. Why do we always have to be on the defensive when dealing with law enforcement? Why does law enforcement have to be out to get us? Whatever happened to the ideas of "serve and protect?"

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    My Lord, people. He was arrested for disorderly, which he obviously was doing. He was yelling and screaming and following the officer out of the house while yelling and screaming. He was warned multiple times to calm down b/c he was bringing the attention of the whole neighborhood down there with his yelling (disorderly in most states if not all). His arrest was good. This isn't a "us vs. them" thing. I know many officers are not against the public and the public against the cops. He was there, he tried to check an ID just to make sure it was legit. Put yourself in the officer's shoes.

This was not a bad arrest and it wasn't about the officer being the bigger man. At no time did anyone say the officer was yelling back and being disrespectful. Gates was breaking the law and was given many chances to shut his yap and leave it at that.

The charges shouldn't have been dropped and no apology should go to Gates. After this, we'll be having people all over the country doing the same thing and thinking it's okay.

Obama was a moron for talking out about the situation and causing more racial tension with Law Enforcement. United, don't divide, Mr. President.

If the Sgt's report is exactly what happened, I would have cuffed Gates too. The officer was in a lose/lose situation....

1. He accepts Gates Harvard ID (which he was doing and was calling Harvard PD probably to verify, but the idiot wouldn't shut his yap so the ofcr. could hear radio traffic) and leaves. It ends up being a fake and the guy murders the homeowners in the basement. Sgt loses. "He didn't do enough" they'll say.

2. Sgt. asks just for some ID to show that it's his house and explains the situation, this happens even after trying to leave the scene and everyone says "He did way too much."

That's my soapbox. :patriot::ingo:

I don't disagree that the officer was within his appointed powers to do what he did, nor that Gates was being a jerk about the situation.

I dislike the way that this becomes an "us vs. them" situation; specifically the public vs. law enforcement. Crowley isn't doing the public any good by arresting Gates; he should have been the bigger man to be courteous and be on his way when he discovered that there was no crime. Why do we always have to be on the defensive when dealing with law enforcement? Why does law enforcement have to be out to get us? Whatever happened to the ideas of "serve and protect?"

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My Lord, people. He was arrested for disorderly, which he obviously was doing. He was yelling and screaming and following the officer out of the house while yelling and screaming. He was warned multiple times to calm down b/c he was bringing the attention of the whole neighborhood down there with his yelling (disorderly in most states if not all). His arrest was good. This isn't a "us vs. them" thing. I know many officers are not against the public and the public against the cops. He was there, he tried to check an ID just to make sure it was legit. Put yourself in the officer's shoes.

This was not a bad arrest and it wasn't about the officer being the bigger man. At no time did anyone say the officer was yelling back and being disrespectful. Gates was breaking the law and was given many chances to shut his yap and leave it at that.

The charges shouldn't have been dropped and no apology should go to Gates. After this, we'll be having people all over the country doing the same thing and thinking it's okay.

Obama was a moron for talking out about the situation and causing more racial tension with Law Enforcement. United, don't divide, Mr. President.

If the Sgt's report is exactly what happened, I would have cuffed Gates too. The officer was in a lose/lose situation....

1. He accepts Gates Harvard ID (which he was doing and was calling Harvard PD probably to verify, but the idiot wouldn't shut his yap so the ofcr. could hear radio traffic) and leaves. It ends up being a fake and the guy murders the homeowners in the basement. Sgt loses. "He didn't do enough" they'll say.

2. Sgt. asks just for some ID to show that it's his house and explains the situation, this happens even after trying to leave the scene and everyone says "He did way too much."

That's my soapbox. :patriot::ingo:

Quote the whole thing, because it's all correct.

Gates was busting down the door of a house. Frankly, if the cops are checking out someone in my house who busted down a door to get in, and it turns out to be me, I'm going to give them my ID, and tell them thanks for protecting my house. And we all know how I feel about providing ID to the government without just cause... being seen breaking into a house is just cause!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A few things to consider. The Sgt. was on a legitimate call. It sounds to me like he met resistance from the moment he made contact with the marvelous professor. Common sense tells anyone when responding to a call like this one,involved people get positively IDed. Say the Sgt. took the bigmouth at his word and left. Say it was an actual B&E. Obama would be on TV saying the police did a sloppy job because it involved a black man. He might have been saying "because this was a black man the police didn't care and left the perps to burglarize a black mans home.

As far as the disorderly charge, based on what the report reads the arrest was just and lawful. Just because the charge's were dropped does not mean anything. DA and prosecutors are political positions. You just never know what they might do. The charges being dropped does not mean a thing-nothing. It does not mean the arrest was unlawful or unjust. You can sue anyone for anything. If this knucklehead sues they will give him a settlement and be done.

This racist professor and our so called president are the racist ones here. Good job on the Sgt's part. Cudo's to his agency and union for backing him. When you are right you are right-when wrong you are wrong. The president and the crazy professor are wrong. Besides-I could give a hoot less what obama things and or says.

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    A few things to consider. The Sgt. was on a legitimate call. It sounds to me like he met resistance from the moment he made contact with the marvelous professor. Common sense tells anyone when responding to a call like this one,involved people get positively IDed. Say the Sgt. took the bigmouth at his word and left. Say it was an actual B&E. Obama would be on TV saying the police did a sloppy job because it involved a black man. He might have been saying "because this was a black man the police didn't care and left the perps to burglarize a black mans home.

As far as the disorderly charge, based on what the report reads the arrest was just and lawful. Just because the charge's were dropped does not mean anything. DA and prosecutors are political positions. You just never know what they might do. The charges being dropped does not mean a thing-nothing. It does not mean the arrest was unlawful or unjust. You can sue anyone for anything. If this knucklehead sues they will give him a settlement and be done.

This racist professor and our so called president are the racist ones here. Good job on the Sgt's part. Cudo's to his agency and union for backing him. When you are right you are right-when wrong you are wrong. The president and the crazy professor are wrong. Besides-I could give a hoot less what obama things and or says.
    Exactly...

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Something else worth noting IMO is the statement by Obama is going a long ways toward showing the people of this country what they have in fact elected. That is the good news in this story. He is taking some major flak over this, as he should be. That is a good thing. Sit back and watch,it will only get better. We are only seven months into this mess.

fishgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    IMHO the President has no business commenting on any arrest. How unprofessional. He can't run the country let alone making a statement about an arrest report.. The officer did his job, at the point where Gates started shooting off his mouth on the porch it became confrontational. The officer asked a simple question, all it needed was a simple answer, can't do that:dunno:What a pitiful situation,
    ALL THAT IS NEEDED FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING:patriot:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I actually had a incident close to this. I had to break into my home at about 2 am because I forgot my keys. I had went out drinking with some friends and left them behind, they dropped me off and I realized I didn't have my house key. So I broke in through a window. Shortly thereafter I hear a knock on the door, I figured it was my friends so imagine my surprise when there were two black officers standing on my doorstep. They told me they were responding to a report of a break in at this address and asked if I had any id. Did I scream at them "Why? Is this because I'm a white man in Gary" or did I say "no problem officer let me get my wallet"? Of course I answered the second. I gave them my drivers license and told them what happened. They laughed and told me "sorry to bother you, have a good night" my response to them was "Your more than welcome and sorry you had to come here, and thank you for keeping a eye out" This is all paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words, it was oh 15 or so years ago and I was well buzzed.....

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I actually had a incident close to this. I had to break into my home at about 2 am because I forgot my keys. I had went out drinking with some friends and left them behind, they dropped me off and I realized I didn't have my house key. So I broke in through a window. Shortly thereafter I hear a knock on the door, I figured it was my friends so imagine my surprise when there were two black officers standing on my doorstep. They told me they were responding to a report of a break in at this address and asked if I had any id. Did I scream at them "Why? Is this because I'm a white man in Gary" or did I say "no problem officer let me get my wallet"? Of course I answered the second. I gave them my drivers license and told them what happened. They laughed and told me "sorry to bother you, have a good night" my response to them was "Your more than welcome and sorry you had to come here, and thank you for keeping a eye out" This is all paraphrased because I can't remember the exact words, it was oh 15 or so years ago and I was well buzzed.....

Complicated ain't it? But no some people had rather run their yappers instead of using a little respect and common sense.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    So far, it seems that everyone was out of line.

Obama for making comments about something he had no evidence to back up.

The "professor" for making snap judgments about racism.

The cops for baiting this guy and throwing their weight around. Sticks and stones, guys. Now get off my property!

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Gates was/is an a$, next time someone breaks into his house the police should help them carry stuff out.

According to the police report, Gates said that his door would have trouble being locked when they left...FROM A PREVIOUS BREAK IN ATTEMPT.

So the neighbors/police might have been looking at a REPEAT break in.
    They are told by a neighbor that 2 men with backpacks muscled their way through the front door.
    Regardless of color, that doesn't sound kosher.
    Gates is a pompous ass and should have charges NOT dropped for his public disorderly conduct.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Complicated ain't it? But no some people had rather run their yappers instead of using a little respect and common sense.

Not complicated, but it wasn't really respect and common sense. I was raised to have common courtesy. Be courteous to people until they give you a reason not to.

Top Bottom