• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I understand it, Gitmo is the only reason there is still muslim terrorism in the world.... I heard it on TV so I am sure it is true...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I heard a :facepalm: commentary about GITMO this morning. So Obama's argument for closing it is because American justice requires due process and we just don't lock away individuals indefinitely without it. Okay. Imma "liberty -n- justice fer all" kinda guy. That's arguably a reasonable position that I can respect. Either they have committed crimes against America for which they should be punished, or they haven't.

So of 700+ GITMO inmates, GWB let 500 or so of them go during his term, and including the ones that Obama has let go, there are around 90+ GITMO detainees left. Presumably these are the ones that are considered by just about everyone to be too dangerous to let go. Of these, some more may be let go. But there are at least some detainees that not even Obama will let go. So what would Obama do with those if eh closed GITMO?

Well, Obama says he'll put them in maximum security prisons on our soil. Okay, fine. Due process anyone? Will they get a trial? Maybe some of them. Not all. Will they have enhanced rights once they're on US soil? Obama says, no. Will they get due process? Um, not really. Will they be detained indefinitely? Yeah, kinda, they will. WTF?

So, he wants to close GITMO because "justice". But after, once on this soil, they'll be locked away indefinitely, here, without any due-er process than they have at GITMO! So then why the **** close GITMO? Just let the *****es rot, I say.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Jamil, I heard a lawyer who represents Gitmo detainees interviewed, and she also mentioned the figure of 90. She said that of those 90 IIRC 46 have already been cleared for transfer, its just a matter of finding someone willing to take them. She also estimated that of the remaining 44 around half would be cleared for transfer, leaving just over 20 detainees that would never be transferred. That will likely leave an expenditure of at least 10s of millions of dollars per prisoner

Top Bottom