• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The new 'wonder' SiG P365 has definitely taken the market by storm, over the past 3+ years, but keep in mind that Glock has ruled the market for 30+ years, without a ton of changes to them...so saying that the Glock 19 is 'obsolete' is a farce!
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of the SiG 320 series or the P-365 series...for me, the Glock grip angle is a far more comfortable fit / feel in my somewhat smaller hands and I wasn't even a full-size grip fan until the Gen 4 and Gen 5 came out, but now the Glock 45 9mm has become a favorite right alongside the Glock 36 in .45 acp. I even have an old Ruger P-95 that I would carry over a 320!
    Glock still rules many law enforcement agencies and are well-regarded in the private sector!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm asking because I don't know.

Does Military Arms Channel accept any industry advertising $$?

Usually if someone is telling me what I have is no good and I need something new.....they have a motivation.

I don't know, but the motivation here is simple. Saying something controversial makes people talk, making people talk gets free advertising, free advertising gets more clicks, more clicks equals more money. Comparing two anythings when each has a fan base will automatically generate some level of controversy among one or both fan bases.

YouTube and the like is an attention based economy and can be lucrative for the ones that master getting attention.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I don't know, but the motivation here is simple. Saying something controversial makes people talk, making people talk gets free advertising, free advertising gets more clicks, more clicks equals more money. Comparing two anythings when each has a fan base will automatically generate some level of controversy among one or both fan bases.

YouTube and the like is an attention based economy and can be lucrative for the ones that master getting attention.
    I would agree about the attention angle, but I guarantee Mac's channel is nearly 100% demonetized. Maybe attention equalling sponsors through Patreon?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would agree about the attention angle, but I guarantee Mac's channel is nearly 100% demonetized. Maybe attention equalling sponsors through Patreon?

I've heard that YouTube isn't nearly as lucrative as it used to be and is primarily a driver of volume to get attention to other income generation streams like Patreon, OnlyFans, KickStarter, and other funding/premium subscription services as appropriate.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The new 'wonder' SiG P365 has definitely taken the market by storm, over the past 3+ years, but keep in mind that Glock has ruled the market for 30+ years, without a ton of changes to them...so saying that the Glock 19 is 'obsolete' is a farce!
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of the SiG 320 series or the P-365 series...for me, the Glock grip angle is a far more comfortable fit / feel in my somewhat smaller hands and I wasn't even a full-size grip fan until the Gen 4 and Gen 5 came out, but now the Glock 45 9mm has become a favorite right alongside the Glock 36 in .45 acp. I even have an old Ruger P-95 that I would carry over a 320!
    Glock still rules many law enforcement agencies and are well-regarded in the private sector!
    Yes the Glock is obsolete, and not very well regarded in my circle. They seem to have done a good job at marketing and price point which often drives sales,orders.

But I really wonder short of a black powder revolver if anything ever gets to a state of obsolescence? But then again I would think that. There is someone out there that may very well shoot a black powder revolver on a regular basis.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes the Glock is obsolete, and not very well regarded in my circle. They seem to have done a good job at marketing and price point which often drives sales,orders.

But I really wonder short of a black powder revolver if anything ever gets to a state of obsolescence? But then again I would think that. There is someone out there that may very well shoot a black powder revolver on a regular basis.
    How the heck did I miss this thread!!! Darn it!!!

I’m thinking a Black Powder Glock… It would bring Glock back to life, wouldn’t be classified as a firearm and them switches… heck man a Black Powder Auto Glock! Gangbanger’s could “smoke” each other… literally!!! :ar15:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    IMO, the Desert Eagle is, and always has been, obsolete. It has no practical purpose and, from my experience, is a staple amongst the “I have a lot of money and zero knowledge of firearms,” crowd.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The O word has been tossed about a lot lately due to the availability of larger capacity micro guns. Tim, over on the Military Arms Channel has been suggesting that the Glock 19 is now obsolete due to the availability of the 17 round Sig P365 Macro. What does INGO say on that matter?

From my perspective, if a handgun has quality ammo available, is reliable and can be mastered with practice, then it is a viable weapon for carry if it suits the need. By suit the need, I mean that a .22lr Derringer has its use, but it’s not suited for use as a primary duty weapon. Similarly, a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag is a great weapon in the back country but it would be tough to conceal in a gun unfriendly environment.

To that end, there are very few obsolete guns out there today. Merriam-Webster defines obsolete as having no use or not current. Any gun still manufactured does not meet the ‘Not current’ test. Any handgun that has ammo available, and is reliable in function, does not meet the ‘no use’ qualifier.

But, the new wonder micros sure do push some older guns out of the limelight though. 17+1 in a smaller, thinner, lighter package does make a Glock 19 less appealing if you can shoot it just as well.
    95.99% preference. Ive shot both many times over and love the macro. But plenty of people still buy the G19. Sometimes its a cost thing sometimes is a platform thing. In my opinion yea the sigs smalland carries a full sized pistols mag cap so why wouldn't it push the glock out?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I bought one earlier this year. It is a fun gun to shoot and it has become my EDC. I have large hands and can shoot it more accurately than the new class of micro guns. I'm 6' 5" and 230 pounds, concealing it isn't a problem for me
    A 19 fits me better and I'm more accurate with it.. Only advantage for the Micros are that they carry a little easier and for people with small hands.
    I'll know 19s are obsolete when we are swimming in them and no one is interested in buying them ( or PSA cloning them) :thumbsup:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I still keep a .357 DE around, had it since they came out in the 80s. You can load .357 to infinity and beyond and shoot it in this gun.;)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    When I hear folks say this or that is obsolete (usually referring to something they don’t carry) I just hear them saying “I’m worrying about what you carry instead of my own world”.

a DA S&W K frame and 1911 are still very much relevant. Open sights are still very much relevant. DA/SA are still very much relevant. Strikers are still relevant no matter the size.

Like the new whiz bangs and RDS great but don’t discount the last century when Lawmen and citizens alike put a lot of BG in the ground with 38’s and 1911’s with standard ball ammo.

It’s more about how well the person can run their gun than what gun they carry in real earth people scenarios with no 5 minute walk through no penalty mikes etc than capacity but capacity and small size seems to be all the rage these days.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Friday Morning Wise-acre:

Definitely obsolete:
    1662716154886.png

A friend of mine has one of these (Savage Model 1917 in 32 acp). It was an inherited piece that he brings to the range occasionally. You can use the "better than nothing argument" but I would still prefer it over one of the current 3-D printed guns. I wouldn't call it obsolete even though the sights and trigger are terrible.

1662716592237.png

Obsolete can be a relative term of comparison to usefulness, maintainability and reliability as well as comparisons to current standards. What was said was just a hot-take to make people talk. It worked.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Friday Morning Wise-acre:

Definitely obsolete:
    View attachment 222901

A friend of mine has one of these (Savage Model 1917 in 32 acp). It was an inherited piece that he brings to the range occasionally. You can use the "better than nothing argument" but I would still prefer it over one of the current 3-D printed guns. I wouldn't call it obsolete even though the sights and trigger are terrible.

View attachment 222902

Obsolete can be a relative term of comparison to usefulness, maintainability and reliability as well as comparisons to current standards. What was said was just a hot-take to make people talk. It worked.
    I have a 1907 and a 1917. Fun little guns and they point really naturally.

1662717249133.jpeg 1662717276055.jpeg

Top Bottom