• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I am blessed to live in a state where carrying a gun in a church is not verboten. However, I don’t think any of us are blessed to live in a society where the sight of a gun doesn’t bring at least a tinge of nervousness or, in many unfortunate cases, sheer panic. I attend church on a regular basis. I carry a gun on a regular basis. But I had not, until recently, carried a gun regularly to church. Even in my, gun-friendly state, the topic of guns in church is about as comfortable as carrying a ma-deuce in a shoulder rig . . .
    However, I eventually learned that our pastor owns guns, hunts with guns, and enjoys talking about guns. So do many of our elders. The pastor and I had several conversations about carrying and finally I up and asked him, “What are your thoughts on my carrying a gun to church?” I was delighted with his response. He said, “I can tell you with great confidence, that on any given Sunday, there are no less than three handguns in the congregation.” Well, now he has four.
    However, there are still dilemmas for those who bring a heat when they worship. Are you prepared to deal with the possibility of being discovered? Do you carry in the nursery? What if you bend over to pick up a pukey toddler and you print? Have you thought about the consequences of being “caught with a gun around kids?” The horror! Church clothes are often make it more difficult to conceal a full size pistol on your hip. Are you prepared to be one hip-hug away from the public knowing that you brought an instrument of death to the holy house of God?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From the FAQs,
    Posted by some guy called Fenway. (His house..... His rules)

Must Read: Two new INGO Rules!
    1. Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com.

Starting immediately religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGO. All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religion or color. It was brought to my attention that this is not the case for many members due to ignorant comments flying in the General Politics forum. Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.

Please remember this is INGunOwners.com and we happen to have a General Politics Section on a gun site. Quite frankly the general politics section has turned into a cesspool lately and it stops tonight. If threads of religious/racial nature continue to pop up in the General Politics forum it will be closed. If it happens in other forums on this site infractions will be given out followed by the hammer.

DO NOT test the MODs patience on this new rule and do not nit pick or try and see how close to the line you can get with out crossing it. No religious or racially based posts are allowed from this point forward on INGO.

From the FAQ sticky, posted by Pami
    How about religion? Can we talk about that?
    Again, a big, resounding NO. And let me be painstakingly clear on this one: ANY discussion of religion will NOT be tolerated. At all. None. If it even hints at being religious in ANY way, the thread will be closed and/or deleted. It is VERY possible MANY infractions will be handed out. In many instances, it is cause for a ban from the site, which may or may not be permanent. Right now, we are being VERY black and white on this. There is NO GREY AREA. This is unfortunate, because like politics, religion has stirred up some very thought-provoking discussions. However, it has also stirred the pot WAY too many times and until everyone can become civil again, Religion Must Not Be Discussed. Even then, it's unlikely to come back. Just. Don't. Do. It.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site_n...ngo_rules.html

If you disagree with the rule, this was also posted in the FAQ sticky, posted by Pami
    So I can't discuss what I want to? You guys (or sometimes, "Your rules") suck!

We hear that every once in a while. You're certainly welcome to your opinion. Feel free to find a place where you can discuss what you want to, but while you're here, we must insist that you follow our rules- they apply to everyone, and yes, that includes you. Yes, you.
    If you're looking for other places that might have different rules where you can still discuss firearms and their ownership specifically created for gun owners in Indiana, other boards can be found by searching Google. We're happy to see the other options and wish them good fortune, though promoting other boards here is discouraged unless they choose to be Advertising Supporters, just like any other business.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    From the FAQs,
    Posted by some guy called Fenway. (His house..... His rules)

Must Read: Two new INGO Rules!
    1. Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com.

Starting immediately religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGO. All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religion or color. It was brought to my attention that this is not the case for many members due to ignorant comments flying in the General Politics forum. Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.

Please remember this is INGunOwners.com and we happen to have a General Politics Section on a gun site. Quite frankly the general politics section has turned into a cesspool lately and it stops tonight. If threads of religious/racial nature continue to pop up in the General Politics forum it will be closed. If it happens in other forums on this site infractions will be given out followed by the hammer.

DO NOT test the MODs patience on this new rule and do not nit pick or try and see how close to the line you can get with out crossing it. No religious or racially based posts are allowed from this point forward on INGO.

From the FAQ sticky, posted by Pami
    How about religion? Can we talk about that?
    Again, a big, resounding NO. And let me be painstakingly clear on this one: ANY discussion of religion will NOT be tolerated. At all. None. If it even hints at being religious in ANY way, the thread will be closed and/or deleted. It is VERY possible MANY infractions will be handed out. In many instances, it is cause for a ban from the site, which may or may not be permanent. Right now, we are being VERY black and white on this. There is NO GREY AREA. This is unfortunate, because like politics, religion has stirred up some very thought-provoking discussions. However, it has also stirred the pot WAY too many times and until everyone can become civil again, Religion Must Not Be Discussed. Even then, it's unlikely to come back. Just. Don't. Do. It.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/site_n...ngo_rules.html

If you disagree with the rule, this was also posted in the FAQ sticky, posted by Pami
    So I can't discuss what I want to? You guys (or sometimes, "Your rules") suck!

We hear that every once in a while. You're certainly welcome to your opinion. Feel free to find a place where you can discuss what you want to, but while you're here, we must insist that you follow our rules- they apply to everyone, and yes, that includes you. Yes, you.
    If you're looking for other places that might have different rules where you can still discuss firearms and their ownership specifically created for gun owners in Indiana, other boards can be found by searching Google. We're happy to see the other options and wish them good fortune, though promoting other boards here is discouraged unless they choose to be Advertising Supporters, just like any other business.

Thanks for learning me actaeon277. This thread should have been closed quite a while ago it seems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for learning me actaeon277. This thread should have been closed quite a while ago it seems.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade.
    I don't want to see people get banned for something they might not have known about.
    You, or anyone else that may be skirting the edge.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The only problem we have with this is when someone feels compelled to insult another person's personal religious view. They don't understand the topic is "carry" and not "religion" or "church."

Carrying at church is one of those topics that pops up every few months here. We generally have a good go at it as everyone explains their pros and cons. Some even support their view with scripture that is germane to the topic of self defense.

Most of the topics of a similar nature never get locked and usually don't get bogged down with inanity. We cannot carve out a substantial area of life and declare that we can never talk about firearms and carry in that area. I think this is understood by almost everyone, which is why the topics are allowed to continue.

That is, continued if no one screws it up for the others by being needlessly insulting or rude.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    When I was a Mod, you could talk about carry in a church as long as folks stayed on that topic and didn't veer off into debates about religion.

I haven't read this entire thread, but keep to the topic of carrying and you won't have any issue.

MrsTuesday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    However, there are still dilemmas for those who bring a heat when they worship. Are you prepared to deal with the possibility of being discovered? Do you carry in the nursery? What if you bend over to pick up a pukey toddler and you print? Have you thought about the consequences of being “caught with a gun around kids?” The horror! Church clothes are often make it more difficult to conceal a full size pistol on your hip. Are you prepared to be one hip-hug away from the public knowing that you brought an instrument of death to the holy house of God?

I prefer CC at church. This is part of the reason. Though I have no problem with ON BODY carry even when serving with children, and I happen to know our Children's Pastors agree, I feel that for the comfort of parents it's wise to CC. I do not like purse carry as children are prone to find things. But I feel safer knowing that not only are the adults protected, but my children are as well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I was a Mod, you could talk about carry in a church as long as folks stayed on that topic and didn't veer off into debates about religion.

I haven't read this entire thread, but keep to the topic of carrying and you won't have any issue.

That was like yesterday.
    But it sounds like Grandpa talking about how it was, when I was a Mod.
    :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPo1mvJYuT4

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I prefer CC at church. This is part of the reason. Though I have no problem with ON BODY carry even when serving with children, and I happen to know our Children's Pastors agree, I feel that for the comfort of parents it's wise to CC. I do not like purse carry as children are prone to find things. But I feel safer knowing that not only are the adults protected, but my children are as well.

I think he was just trying to say that you should be prepared for the event of someone discovering your CC.
    If you have a plan ahead of time, it helps.
    So you don't go, "Uh, gee, I um...."
    Something like "I've carried for years to protect those I love from those that would kill them. It doesn't leave it's holster otherwise"
    Or something better.
    I'm not as good at word as I would like to think.
    But I do know how you diffuse the situation is important.

BHOWPE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    And many have had family members killed or injured in car accidents. Yet they still offend everyone by driving to church.

I agree with most of your statement. I may not follow it, but it's not too bad. But this statement I think fails the "substitution test".

The failure of the gun vs car analogy in this particular case is that my church is 6 miles from my house. If have to drive unless I want to ride my bicycle through the snow, rain, etc. in my church clothes. I can CC instead of OC at church and accomplish 99.9% of my purpose - protection of myself and others. Since I do not sit in the first seat next to the exit in my 1,500+ seat church, I could easily access a concealed weapon in plenty of time for protection. IMO the only reason to open carry at my church would be to rub other members noses in it, unless circumstances changed and there was a legitimate, visible threat to our congregation. Using this logic, I accept that it might be more appropriate to OC at smaller or rural churches if an inquiry determines it is more acceptable in that setting.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My point is, that people are scared of the gun.
    But not the 1000 other things that kill and maim more people.
    And one of the reasons is that we allow the media to define gun ownership.
    People never see responsible gun owners, cause we hide it.
    Yet irresponsible gun owners are splashed all over the media.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    I know that in a sense there is the "Onward Christian Soldiers" thing, but I never,ever, ever felt comfortable carrying either way in Church. I've always left my sidearm in the truck.

Top Bottom