• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    So tonight the family and I go to the drive in and as we are waiting for it to get dark the kids are playing on the playground with A LOT of other kids around. I usually OC and was a little apprehensive about the situation. Of course, after a little while this 8-9 yr old comes up to me and says, "is that real?". I say yes and that's where it ends. I don't know why I was so worried about it. I think I was more worried about all the moms and what type of reaction they would have with a big scary gun around. How do you guys handle situations like this?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When I see young kids I usually make sure my shirt is pulled over my gun. Just so I don't freak out any moms or alarm any kids. I print rather badly but rely on the it being out of sight and out of mind for most observers.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Kids are never the problem. Bad parents pretending that their own fear and cowardice is some noble concern for the safety of their children... that can be a problem.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, 1960 was a different time. (I assume you have a time machine since you said you were at a drive in movie.)

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    We were in Huntington, they actually have 2 screens. 88 It was kinda cute, you shoulda seen this kid's eyes when I told him it was real.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I never consider other people's irrational behavior when I OC. I just OC.

Hmmm. JFOC. I like it.

I have never given myself a reason to cover up. If someone wants to take issue with my gun, that isn't my problem.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When in uniform I get tired of the kids wanting to touch my pistol. City kids are more likely to see my pistol as some magical piece that requires them to touch it. My kids grew up with them and don't give them 2 looks. How kids respond has a direct correlation to how they were raised.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    When in uniform I get tired of the kids wanting to touch my pistol. City kids are more likely to see my pistol as some magical piece that requires them to touch it. My kids grew up with them and don't give them 2 looks. How kids respond has a direct correlation to how they were raised.
    that has to be irritating.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    When a kid asks me if it's real, I say "yep, wanna see?"

Just kidding, I say that it is and then they usually run off. The best one I've gotten was

A guy walked in to Gamestop with his 3 little boys.

Boy 1: Daddy, does he have a gun?
    Dad: Yeah, he does. Doesn't he?
    Boy 2: Why do you think he has it?
    Boy 1: Because it looks real.
    Boy 2: But why?
    Boy 1: Maybe he's a cop.
    Boy 3: Is that real?
    Me: Yep.
    Boy 3: YIKES!

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I agree with kids not being the issue.

Just take the mystery out of it and treat it like a hammer or something... no big deal. Kids will loose interest quick and move on.

I try to teach my kids and those around me to respect the firearm.. but it is not some sort of cool, magical device.

They get more excitment outta the empty cardboard boxes... :)

brew45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    I agree with kids not being the issue.

Just take the mystery out of it and treat it like a hammer or something... no big deal. Kids will loose interest quick and move on.

I try to teach my kids and those around me to respect the firearm.. but it is not some sort of cool, magical device.

They get more excitment outta the empty cardboard boxes... :)

That's exactly what I do with my kids. Every time I clean them I let my son hold parts and the frame, etc. I make him help. He gets so tired of me asking him to help he doesn't even look at my gun when it's on my belt. He knows its another one of dads tools.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

How correct you are.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never worried about it. The neighbor kids and their mom stopped by the other day. The kids ran around like nuts while us adults chatted. The oldest stopped and asked if "it was real" (must be a standard question). I just said "yep", and that was it.

If you make a big deal, they will as well. If you treat it as "normal", so will they.

I routinely OC at the park, at the playgound, on walks, etc.... If anyone cares, they certainly haven't mentioned it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You'd be surprised how little people care.

I've OCd into parks while walking the dogs or something. Kids don't care, and if they do, it doesn't go much beyond how you described it.

Tons of kids in my neighborhood see me carry. It's brought up funny conversations before ("Why do you need that if you have a german shepherd?"). Only one time a little girl asked "Can I pet your dog?", I said "Sure!"... Then I think she saw my gun and said "Nevermind..." She was very young

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    I go back and forth between open or concealed carry. My daughter (who will be four next month) is aware of guns but never seems to ask about mine. Maybe that's because she was taught respect for them but not to fear them. The only time I have had an awkward situation was with the mother of a child in a gas station, who told her daughter, "stay away from people with guns." I politely informed her that if she sees someone carrying openly (not carrying in the hand, of course) that person is not likely to have any ill intent. If a crime is going to be committed with said firearm, there will likely be signs of nervousness or aggression which children seem to pick up on a lot quicker than the object itself. As mentioned above, close-minded parents are worse to deal with than open minded children.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So tonight the family and I go to the drive in and as we are waiting for it to get dark the kids are playing on the playground with A LOT of other kids around. I usually OC and was a little apprehensive about the situation. Of course, after a little while this 8-9 yr old comes up to me and says, "is that real?". I say yes and that's where it ends. I don't know why I was so worried about it. I think I was more worried about all the moms and what type of reaction they would have with a big scary gun around. How do you guys handle situations like this?

I hold doors for the ladies, I smile a lot and say hello to everyone. When I OC, it doesn't seem to faze too many folks.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You'd be surprised how little people care.

I've OCd into parks while walking the dogs or something. Kids don't care, and if they do, it doesn't go much beyond how you described it.

Tons of kids in my neighborhood see me carry. It's brought up funny conversations before ("Why do you need that if you have a german shepherd?"). Only one time a little girl asked "Can I pet your dog?", I said "Sure!"... Then I think she saw my gun and said "Nevermind..." She was very young

I have actually had folks come up to me (just twice) and thank me for carrying, said it made them feel safer knowing that someone was armed in case anything happened.

Both times I thanked them, and asked them what prevented them from carrying. Both times it led to very nice discussions about carrying a handgun.

Top Bottom