• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Probably unrelated, but I once had a buddy who suddenly had problems with the toilet in one of his bathrooms clogging up. Every time he cleared it, it would clog again. I said "How old is your daughter now?" He said 13. I suggested he have a talk with her about disposing of feminine products. Sure enough, that was it.

Had to have that talk with DoggyMama's daughter when she was living with us for awhile and I had to have a plumber come out and snake the line to our septic tank. The "feminine hygiene" producers and wipe makers really should stop putting "flushable" on their packaging. They're not flushable. Well, they may "flush" but they're not made to be flushable.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Weather down in the 10's or below can wreak havoc on sewer systems. I notice the shower drain slowing a bit when really cold. It opens up to normal after some hot water has been in the line. The house is almost 130 years old and I have no idea when it was connected to the city sewer system. No issues with clogging or backups. Just slow when cold.

It does? Please do explain how. I own several buildings and sewer lines in the cold (-30) have never been a problem.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    So....you are the landlord. Of course you never have problems....LOL. Lots of properties in the old sections of the city. Hmmm?

You did not answer my question, but I will humor you and answer yours. I am the landlord. While I have had many problems with sewer lines, none were ever related to cold weather. Only one of my properties is less then 100 years old, most over 120 years.

So again, how does cold weather wreak havoc on sewer lines?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I'd guess that being an older house the building standards weren't well developed and they didn't dig their lines deep enough.

Without tipping off the dog man, sewer lines are drain lines. If they are properly pitched, the water keeps moving. Moving water will not freeze, under most (exposed) circumstances. Water supply lines are another story. The water only moves when people are using water, hence the reason municipalities ask customers to leave water supplies at a slow drip when it is really cold outside.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Without tipping off the dog man, sewer lines are drain lines. If they are properly pitched, the water keeps moving. Moving water will not freeze, under most (exposed) circumstances. Water supply lines are another story. The water only moves when people are using water, hence the reason municipalities ask customers to leave water supplies at a slow drip when it is really cold outside.

I have seen this issue in older buildings but we could never figure it out. Also never spent much time trying. But I have seen it.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    In my case, the sewer line is located adjacent to a window well in the basement. There are only two of us in the home and we don't have a significant amount of water flow on that side of the home. There is another stack and exit on the other side of the house that is not near a window well and does not seem to exhibit any reduced flow.

Sewer gases also tend to be warmer than the surrounding air and will "rise" along the lines when temperatures are cold. We don't experience much, if any, gas penetration into the house, but it is apparent in the alley where the trunk line runs.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Only on INGO will folks get in a twist over poop pipes. I know a lady that has to put RV antifreeze in her tub drain on really frigid days.

And yes, garden tub, outside wall.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Only on INGO will folks get in a twist over poop pipes. I know a lady that has to put RV antifreeze in her tub drain on really frigid days.

And yes, garden tub, outside wall.

And only on INGO will someone that has never had a particular, very specific malfunction challenge someone who does. As if all things in life are exactly identical. SMH

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    This. As a guy with millions of feet of "drain"* line installed above the frost line, properly graded drain lines do not freeze. The main drain leaving my house comes out even with the top of the ground (under a deck) because of the depth of the original septic tank. Traps could freeze, which may be the case in the tub example above. Also blocked lines could freeze, obviously, but not properly pitched lines.

*I quoted drain lines above because farm field drain line physics is no different than sewer, just less slope and less poop, hopefully.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

This is why I'm an electrician and not a plumber. That and I've never opened a junction box and found it full of :poop:

:laugh:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This is why I'm an electrician and not a plumber. That and I've never opened a junction box and found it full of :poop:

:laugh:
    Not a plumber or an electrician but......Darnedest electrical thing I ever saw was a mouse that got in my Daughters AC condenser and stuck his head through the tiniest hole near the start capacitor. Well, he did a Ted Bundy and stayed juicy long enough to burn the wire off. Easy repair, but what are the chances ?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This. As a guy with millions of feet of "drain"* line installed above the frost line, properly graded drain lines do not freeze. The main drain leaving my house comes out even with the top of the ground (under a deck) because of the depth of the original septic tank. Traps could freeze, which may be the case in the tub example above. Also blocked lines could freeze, obviously, but not properly pitched lines.

*I quoted drain lines above because farm field drain line physics is no different than sewer, just less slope and less poop, hopefully.

A quick query of google for " Can sewer lines freeze " returned 14.9 million results.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A quick query of google for " Can sewer lines freeze " returned 14.9 million results.

:facepalm:

And this tells us what? That the question has been asked almost 15 million times.

So how many of those returns are yes and how many are no, smarty pants? :):

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    :facepalm:

And this tells us what? That the question has been asked almost 15 million times.

So how many of those returns are yes and how many are no, smarty pants? :):

The fellas above use physics and farm mechanics to say it shouldn't happen. I observe that there are quite a few folks who use the internet to ask about why their sewer lines are freezing and there are also a number of plumbing professionals who provide recommendations on frozen sewer lines and prevention.

So, my response isn't suggesting that YOU use google. It's to show the fellas who think it can't happen that it does. Quite frequently as a matter of fact.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ok, 14.9 million* either followed with “no” or “if” as in if certain conditions exist. Like leaving your water dripping to keep a pressure line from freezing can put a small amount of slow moving water without much energy on its own to overcome the colder temp of the pipe and maybe freeze.
    Point is, “nothing” can’t freeze, (or if it does we’re not going to worry about it) and there is supposed to be “nothing” in a sewer line, i.e. properly graded. Traps are a possibility with their “not nothing” in them.
    *yes I read them all

Top Bottom