• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Vent pipes used to be two inch PVC through the roof. In cold weather, condensation freezes and closes the vent pipe. Most newer homes run 3 inch PVC through the roof to help with this...

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah I always fought with the too much verses too little pitch. When I ran waste lines for my place I made a little wedge to go on the end of my level to help me stay accurate.

But then when you go from one floor to the next it is just a straight drop down. How do the solids and the water stay together then? It seems to work as I got the second potty going upstairs and had to field test it to be sure.

Just a guess, but assume that during a straight drop, solids and liquid fall at the same rate. Gravity being non-discriminatory and all.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Vent pipes used to be two inch PVC through the roof. In cold weather, condensation freezes and closes the vent pipe. Most newer homes run 3 inch PVC through the roof to help with this...

I have only seen a 2" vent pipe on one place, and that was a 2 season home, neither being a winter season. The pipe was cast iron and the place was built way before PVC was used. The majority of the properties I have are 3" cast iron. One 3 unit place I have is 4" cast. Heck, you cannot even buy a roof flashing for 2' pipe. At least not one that I have found.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just a guess, but assume that during a straight drop, solids and liquid fall at the same rate. Gravity being non-discriminatory and all.

Well that makes sense. *shakes head because I am a dummy*

I have only seen a 2" vent pipe on one place, and that was a 2 season home, neither being a winter season. The pipe was cast iron and the place was built way before PVC was used. The majority of the properties I have are 3" cast iron. One 3 unit place I have is 4" cast. Heck, you cannot even buy a roof flashing for 2' pipe. At least not one that I have found.

Lowes still has 2" boots. They even have a cap that slips over the old boot. I have used them on places that had checked boots. They work.

I have some duplexes built by the same guy back in 2000. He ran 2" up to about six inches from the roof then upped it to 3 inches. Still does what it is supposed to, but looks odd in the attic.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well that makes sense. *shakes head because I am a dummy*

Lowes still has 2" boots. They even have a cap that slips over the old boot. I have used them on places that had checked boots. They work.

I have some duplexes built by the same guy back in 2000. He ran 2" up to about six inches from the roof then upped it to 3 inches. Still does what it is supposed to, but looks odd in the attic.

I imagine 2" is easier to work with inside 2x4 walls.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-No-Calk-1-5-in-to-3-in-Aluminum-Gray-Roof-Flashing-12942/205655574

20+ years ago, all they used on the new construction jobs I worked on, they used 2 inch PVC...

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-No-Calk-1-5-in-to-3-in-Aluminum-Gray-Roof-Flashing-12942/205655574

20+ years ago, all they used on the new construction jobs I worked on, they used 2 inch PVC...

Never really thought of that type of flashing, but sure, it would work. I have seen PVC vents for furnace through a roof on newer construction and just did not put the two together.
    Whenever I have done a roof on my buildings, I use the lead flashing. Like these:

R70300.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Never really thought of that type of flashing, but sure, it would work. I have seen PVC vents for furnace through a roof on newer construction and just did not put the two together.
    Whenever I have done a roof on my buildings, I use the lead flashing. Like these:

R70300.jpg

But those will last so much longer than the rubber boots.... wait.... ummm, nevermind

Top Bottom