• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm sorry but anyone that thinks they're going to notice the difference between a 2lb trigger and a 5lb trigger, a crisp break, or a short reset when you're in a self defense situation is silly.

Is it silly to practice more with your EDC too? Most generally would agree that practice with your EDC is a good thing that could pay a real dividend in a real shooting situation. If practice with your EDC is good, wouldn’t it make sense that tuning the guns to have a consistent feel to your EDC yield value?

The more trigger time someone gets with their EDC or a reasonably close facsimile, the more muscle memory they build. When I tuned my Glocks to have a wall that was reminiscent of the CZs (P10 mainly) that I shot, it should follow that shooting with any of the similar guns would be a benefit to shooting all of them. Sure, in my case, I was increasing the trigger pull a bit for my EDC in the pursuit of consistency, but it was still tuning for feel. When I tune my Sigs, it’s to get them all about the same for feel.

I’ll agree with the idea that it’s a bad idea to tune a carry gun trigger much below 4# unless you have experience in shooting in stressful situations. I know that I don’t and a given an adrenaline dump and shaky hands that might follow, I sure don’t want to be near a 2# trigger should I ever experience that situation.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I have been told by a firearms instructor to keep the trigger stock out at least a trigger around 5lbs. In stressful situations, you don't want to shoot accidentally. I'm not talking about trigger discipline. I'm talking about when you have your finger on the trigger and ready to shoot.
    That is somewhat true. But I'd bet there's not many civilians out there that, in a stressful situation, can really tell the difference in trigger pull weight, unless they've got years of trigger time and thousands or rounds downrange in their EDC.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    No. I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was.

Sorry, I was trying to say that modifying your EDCs to all give a consistent feel was like gaining more practice with your carry gun with every range trip where you shot the other similar guns.

I tend to take the long way in making a point sometimes. I might of argued that one from the opposite direction :)

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I worked for a security company in NWI as a bank guard , bodyguard for them. My shooting instructor was a DEA agent and a FBI shooting instructor. I was carrying a berretta 96 for sidearm.He told me NOT to touch the original gun parts , it is harder to defend in court , it just gives prosecutor to put more doubts in peoples minds.He said berrretta has been manufacturing guns for decades , so they know hold to build them right.Instead of trying to buy accuracy at the store, just PRACTICE PRACTICE with your carry ammo.He told me more , but that was a private conversation.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I worked for a security company in NWI as a bank guard , bodyguard for them. My shooting instructor was a DEA agent and a FBI shooting instructor. I was carrying a berretta 96 for sidearm.He told me NOT to touch the original gun parts , it is harder to defend in court , it just gives prosecutor to put more doubts in peoples minds.He said berrretta has been manufacturing guns for decades , so they know hold to build them right.Instead of trying to buy accuracy at the store, just PRACTICE PRACTICE with your carry ammo.He told me more , but that was a private conversation.
    Has this really been a problem for those who shoot in self-defense situations? Do they dismantle your firearm to see if any parts are not factory? Statistically how often do prosecutor's go after the citizens upgrades?

To me anything that can give you an edge to save your family or your life is money well spent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I think there are two ways to look at it. One is what I call "trigger cleanup". I did this to my M&P M2.0 to reduce the pre-travel and smooth out some grit. I actually made it a little heavier and is much better to me. Second is what I'll call "trigger tuning". This is changing the trigger to be more like a single action in the weight. For example, years ago I tried a Ghost setup in my Glock 23. When I tried to qualify with it as a backup weapon, I tripled tapped a few times instead of double tapping due to it being to light for carry or anything else in my opinion. It was immediately put back to stock. I really do think altering a trigger to an extreme light pull for EDC could come back on you in the right conditions.

I'm not a lawyer, just an opinion.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm guessing that a light trigger could be an issue if there is some doubt about whether or not you intended to shoot. IANAL though and have no experience in figuring out what happened during a shoot

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Has this really been a problem for those who shoot in self-defense situations? Do they dismantle your firearm to see if any parts are not factory? Statistically how often do prosecutor's go after the citizens upgrades?

To me anything that can give you an edge to save your family or your life is money well spent.
    This just usually comes from people that read something once from Massad Ayoob and just repeat it for decades.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    That is somewhat true. But I'd bet there's not many civilians out there that, in a stressful situation, can really tell the difference in trigger pull weight, unless they've got years of trigger time and thousands or rounds downrange in their EDC.
    I think you might discover that what you call the civilians have more trigger time under somewhat stressful conditions than what ever the other "group" might be. Nothing duplicates incoming fire but there is a level of stress involved, albeit different, getting first shot on target when clearing a cover garment with a timer running and 20 people watching. If anything will carry the day when defending yourself it will be muscle memory but that is just my opinion since I've never been forced to defend myself in such a situation.
    I've been told by people that have been involved in self defense situations that if it's not a justified shoot you will be under the microscope and if it is justified not so much.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana
    I think you might discover that what you call the civilians have more trigger time under somewhat stressful conditions than what ever the other "group" might be. Nothing duplicates incoming fire but there is a level of stress involved, albeit different, getting first shot on target when clearing a cover garment with a timer running and 20 people watching. If anything will carry the day when defending yourself it will be muscle memory but that is just my opinion since I've never been forced to defend myself in such a situation.
    I've been told by people that have been involved in self defense situations that if it's not a justified shoot you will be under the microscope and if it is justified not so much.
    True dat

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you are unhappy with the Glock, I'd say try a custom trigger that pleases you, otherwise find a different pistol that you shoot better. As has been said, nothing beats learning basic marksmanship fundamentals. Trigger control is king!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you are unhappy with the Glock, I'd say try a custom trigger that pleases you, otherwise find a different pistol that you shoot better. As has been said, nothing beats learning basic marksmanship fundamentals. Trigger control is king!
    Glock has really rested on its laurels, I don't think there's a current polymer gun out there that has a worse trigger than Glock right now. Even with an aftermarket trigger you'll never get a Glock to feel like a Canik, PDP, VP9 or even like that M&P 10mm I looked at the other day. The one advantage to having a Glock is if you can learn to shoot that thing well you can shoot anything. We really are due for a next evolution Glock, not just the next gen but a real upgrade, nicer trigger and more ergonomic grip beyond that joke they did with the backstraps.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yes. Yes. Almost never.

Civil side, you can be asked in the depo.

I wonder how many people buying "the edge" are also buying training, realistic training, etc vs the fun of a new gizmo.

Counter-question, how often does "the edge" of the aftermarket trigger make the difference in winning vs losing the incident?

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    What is the difference between a 1911 that has been upgraded with better internals, sights ect and a 1911 built by let’s say Wilson that had the same trigger pull? To me, nothing. For me a 5 to 5.5 lb trigger is about perfect for a 1911.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Glock has really rested on its laurels, I don't think there's a current polymer gun out there that has a worse trigger than Glock right now. Even with an aftermarket trigger you'll never get a Glock to feel like a Canik, PDP, VP9 or even like that M&P 10mm I looked at the other day. The one advantage to having a Glock is if you can learn to shoot that thing well you can shoot anything. We really are due for a next evolution Glock, not just the next gen but a real upgrade, nicer trigger and more ergonomic grip beyond that joke they did with the backstraps.
    I went to an actual Glock Operator Course to learn it. Always had DA Revolvers, M9, SIG M&P and just lacked a little with running a Glock. They are different.

The biggest thing about the Glock trigger you really can’t fairly compare them to others because with Glock you are actually cocking AND releasing the striker with the trigger. With an M&P Walther HK SIG XYZ the trigger releases a cocked ir partially striker so they can feel better.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What is the difference between a 1911 that has been upgraded with better internals, sights ect and a 1911 built by let’s say Wilson that had the same trigger pull? To me, nothing. For me a 5 to 5.5 lb trigger is about perfect for a 1911.
    True, if you buy an LTT trigger job in a bag that's bad but if you buy a gun direct from Langdon that's good, but wait those are modified factory guns so is it good or bad lol.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I went to an actual Glock Operator Course to learn it. Always had DA Revolvers, M9, SIG M&P and just lacked a little with running a Glock. They are different.

The biggest thing about the Glock trigger you really can’t fairly compare them to others because with Glock you are actually cocking AND releasing the striker with the trigger. With an M&P Walther HK SIG XYZ the trigger releases a cocked ir partially striker so they can feel better.
    I know the difference, there is no comparison, they suck compared to the others, that's why it's time to up their game.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes. Yes. Almost never.

Civil side, you can be asked in the depo.

I wonder how many people buying "the edge" are also buying training, realistic training, etc vs the fun of a new gizmo.

Counter-question, how often does "the edge" of the aftermarket trigger make the difference in winning vs losing the incident?
    How often would I be in such a situation? I'd say probably never in the area I live. I'd probably need protection from rabid dogs, coon, or coyote than bad guys. However, crime is very random in my area and you just don't know.

Any kind of edge over the bad guy even a simple trigger job is still an edge.
    Training is also an edge, and probably the best edge a person can have. I'm sure if they find out you were trained in self-defense they would attack you for that as well. Any veteran will probably be scrutinized because of their training as well. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I know the difference, there is no comparison, they suck compared to the others, that's why it's time to up their game.
    I wouldn’t look for much change. I mean Why would they change something that has sold the world over and works? Until Gaston is not involved I would be surprised if something new came out. I could care less about forward slide serrations and never thought I’d see the day they would be standard in several models. That little addition alone was a surprise to me.

I’m just glad we have the options of makes and models of good guns these days than we did in the mid 1980’s

Last edited:
    Top Bottom