• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Mine does. We can only carry our issued handguns on or off duty. We aren't authorized to carry anything else... even though I do anyway.
    Right, if you carry on your badge. We are regulated on what we can carry, on our badge. If you are carrying on you LTCH then you can carry what you want.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I am going with unconventional carry or cheap holster. I don't see how this could possibly happen with a kydex holster that covers the trigger guard.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Another School shooting for Everytown to list.

Oh! The humanity!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Mine does. We can only carry our issued handguns on or off duty. We aren't authorized to carry anything else... even though I do anyway.

They can, but good luck enforcing it. And you don't need a LTCH. LEOSA covers you in your home state just like it does out of state.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Right, if you carry on your badge. We are regulated on what we can carry, on our badge. If you are carrying on you LTCH then you can carry what you want.

I thought they gave that up a few years back. First it was you can only carry something you're qualified on, then it went to City Legal wouldn't back you, then it went to "highly encouraged". Legally you're fine to carry whatever you want, with or without LTCH, due to LEOSA. I suspect the notion that City Legal wouldn't protect you is silly, because if one of us gets sued, the city is getting sued as well no matter what the circumstances.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I thought they gave that up a few years back. First it was you can only carry something you're qualified on, then it went to City Legal wouldn't back you, then it went to "highly encouraged". Legally you're fine to carry whatever you want, with or without LTCH, due to LEOSA. I suspect the notion that City Legal wouldn't protect you is silly, because if one of us gets sued, the city is getting sued as well no matter what the circumstances.
    You remember the 3 pillars ;). Criminally, state law, you are fine. LEOSA, you are fine. Administrative, you will likely incur the wrath of the department for violating G.O. up to termination recommendation. Civil, is anyone's guess. Considering the atmosphere we are currently living/working in, I don't like the odds. As was told to me recently by our resident firearms instructor/lawyer, if you carry an unauthorized weapon off-duty then you should NOT take any police action or identify yourself as the police, carrying only on your LTCH. Otherwise, you are putting yourself in administrative/civil jeopardy. Is it really worth it? Our list of off-duty guns is quite good, leaving off POS manufacturers and single-actions. I have 10's of thousands of hours in training with Glock systems that I don't see the need to use a single action. The department cannot tell you what to carry on your own time, as long as you are not taking police action. If you do, your actions are certainly governed by our G.O.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't have an LTCH. I never really saw the point of getting one.
    Only time it is helpful is if you get suspended. During that suspension, you cannot carry on your badge because you don't have it. Your legal authority is stripped for the duration of the suspension.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Only time it is helpful is if you get suspended. During that suspension, you cannot carry on your badge because you don't have it. Your legal authority is stripped for the duration of the suspension.

Interesting,

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If you are carrying on you LTCH then you can carry what you want.

Seems like a bad idea to me, for an off-duty LEO to carry something that he's not officially qualified with. Because you never know when you are gonna be "on duty" at a moment's notice. A cop is a cop, off duty or not.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Do you know if an officer's LTCH can also be suspended or revoked due to a suspencion from his police work?

I guess you would have to do some stupid stuff for that to happen.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do you know if an officer's LTCH can also be suspended or revoked due to a suspencion from his police work?

I guess you would have to do some stupid stuff for that to happen.

No, it's 2 separate things. You can get suspended for a day or two for things that have nothing to do with carrying a firearm.

Top Bottom