• Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Siding with truth is not as easy as simply hearing facts, or even discerning them from among the claims.

Facts can be used to obscure truth as much as expose it.

Extremely well put. I have tried to get this across before but I’ve never been able to say it as efficiently as this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Folks, this is an example to where you have to be familiar with your phone video settings and how to record, just like how you know to operate your firearm. I refuse to have a stiff neck watching that video.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Folks, this is an example to where you have to be familiar with your phone video settings and how to record, just like how you know to operate your firearm. I refuse to have a stiff neck watching that video.

Yeah, I tried to watch the vid from my iPhone X, had to bail out. Will have a look later today on the laptop.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The reporting we are assailed with daily has everyone ready to pounce. It is the general mindset anymore.
    The way the piece was written does get one stirred up.
    Lets try and stay on top of this one. You news junkies (:)) keep the info coming if it is out there.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I knew the decesased. Not well, but I'd met him on several occassions.
    He was also a long-time friend to many of my friends.
    Not one single person I've talked to has said anything about him other than him being a well-rounded, upstanding citizen, and level-headed. He was not known as a hot-head or quick to anger.
    He routinely carried a handgun in the open carry method, so I'm going to assume (I know, I know...) that he did have a LTCH.

I don't have any more information than anyone else regarding this incident, but I do have a pretty good understanding of this mans background, or at least I believe I do.
    Nothing about this story sounds kosher to me. I find it extremely hard to believe that he would have done anything to provoke the officer in question, but I was not there, and I don't know the officer.

I'll reserve judgement, but this whole story just smells wrong...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Waiting for the details to emerge. It seems like there could be a lot of lessons to be learned by all of us, given what mgderf and the story related.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    By:

CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - State Police say a state trooper fatally shot a western Indiana man after he grabbed a handgun when the officer confronted him along a highway.

Police said Saturday the officer shot 56-year-old Glenn A. Rightsell after the Linden man failed to follow his orders and allegedly grabbed a handgun on his own waist Friday night.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

No video? Officer's account only, all the elements there that justify the shoot. I doubt we'll get much more anytime soon, except a lot of finger pointing. When two parties are involved, and one ends up dead, with no witnesses, the survivor's story can't really be debunked.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    the side I see most of the LEOs here take is the side of truth. the coppers all want to hear the facts

I tend to agree, but let's also not forget that most everything has an inherent presumption in favor of those like them. The initial reaction to Dave Bisard comes to mind.

I've been guilty of this myself more than I'd like to admit and it isn't really a criticism of the police, more just an observation of human nature and why it is really easy for folks to perceive a "thin blue line".

Last edited:

Goldbomb79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I was wondering if there would be any dash cam video also. I didn't realize they don't have dash cams mandatory? The neighbor who posted the video on youtube of the aftermath is pretty disturbing. The guy laid there bleeding out for quite awhile before they made him crawl back to them. His gun was still in his holster/waist area because you can see an officer remove it. The whole time the road was never blocked off which I found odd. Either way the outcome was very tragic. The gentleman was open carrying, so he must be a criminal? I'm not sure if it's true, but from his families reports online he called in and asked for it not to be towed away because he was going to fix it?

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    No video? Officer's account only, all the elements there that justify the shoot. I doubt we'll get much more anytime soon, except a lot of finger pointing. When two parties are involved, and one ends up dead, with no witnesses, the survivor's story can't really be debunked.

Forensics has debunked many stories going back to Sherlock Holmes. One would think you would know that.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - State Police say a state trooper fatally shot a western Indiana man after he grabbed a handgun when the officer confronted him along a highway.

Police said Saturday the officer shot 56-year-old Glenn A. Rightsell after the Linden man failed to follow his orders and allegedly grabbed a handgun on his own waist Friday night.

Handgun? Oh this handgu....

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    Many possible scenarios here. This happened not far from my house and near where my kids go to school. I don't know the gentleman personally. He was working on his daughters car, did he have a tool in hand that was mistaken for a gun? Did he unconsciously touch his holstered weapon to assure himself it was secure and in place? The latter is very possible as I'm sure many of us perform the same action multiple times a day without even realizing it. That's something we should all become more aware of and learn to trust our equipment to do its job without the need to touch our weapons to verify it constantly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom