• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    [video=youtube;dhJKyK6VqDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhJKyK6VqDI[/video]

He would have been well within his rights to shoot this guy when he was charging at him.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He is lucky to be alive. Look, I'm ALL FOR cooler heads prevailing and talking my way out of most confrontations, but this officer broke every officer safety rule. He was a murder suspect, dispatch told the officer that the suspect should be armed and suicidal, the suspect continues to charge with one hand deep into his coat pocket. If this was my beat partner, I would get him kicked off my beat. This was not restrain, this was raw fear, hesitation. While I do not want to work with guys who are trigger happy, they MUST be able to pull it when needed.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    He is lucky to be alive. Look, I'm ALL FOR cooler heads prevailing and talking my way out of most confrontations, but this officer broke every officer safety rule. He was a murder suspect, dispatch told the officer that the suspect should be armed and suicidal, the suspect continues to charge with one hand deep into his coat pocket. If this was my beat partner, I would get him kicked off my beat. This was not restrain, this was raw fear, hesitation. While I do not want to work with guys who are trigger happy, they MUST be able to pull it when needed.

He kept his distance, and seemed ready to fire if anything came out of that pocket.

I think it would be a mistake to assume it was fear and hesitation and to fire a guy for this.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have never been in that situation before and hope I never am. I have a lot of respect for those that have and still do. Having said that, I would have to believe that listing to that inner voice is part of the decision making process. Training and procedure is great but it is not the be all end all in every situation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    He kept his distance, and seemed ready to fire if anything came out of that pocket.

I think it would be a mistake to assume it was fear and hesitation and to fire a guy for this.
    How close would you let a likely armed murder suspect approach you? He got within arms length twice. If he was chasing you (as an armed citizen) how close would you have let him get. The problem is that even though the officer has his gun drawn, he is in a REACTIVE mode. Meaning that even with the gun out, the suspect will be able to draw and fire before you perceive and act on it. So distance is kept knowing that they will get the first shot off and hoping the armor catches it or they miss. The closer they get, the more likely you will get shot. I've practiced this during my combatives instructor school and I could NEVER fire first even with my gun out.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So, what made him give up all of a sudden and comply?

also, I know it's just the camera angle, but it looks like the officer is pointing his gun right at the other cops head.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    sheesh, I was trying to post something positive about cops because you guys keep saying I'm too negative about them.

FINE THEN. SCREW THIS COP. I HOPE HE CHOKES ON HIS DONUT. BUT HE'LL PROBABLY JUST GET A PAID VACATION AMIRITE.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    From the moment he started backing up I thought he could fall over backwards and then he did. He could've easily been killed at the point. I'm no LEO but I agree with what Denny is saying.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I saw this yesterday. The background on the deputy was that he just hired on and was a Marine who had been in combat and received a Purple Heart. I'm not sure if he had all the recent bad shootings on his mind during this confrontation or what, but he's very lucky. This was like watching the Dinkheller video, version 2.0. Glad it turned out better than that one.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I saw this yesterday. The background on the deputy was that he just hired on and was a Marine who had been in combat and received a Purple Heart. I'm not sure if he had all the recent bad shootings on his mind during this confrontation or what, but he's very lucky. This was like watching the Dinkheller video, version 2.0. Glad it turned out better than that one.

I agree.

A few people on here need to watch the Dinkheller video and see how terrible this could have been.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I agree.

A few people on here need to watch the Dinkheller video and see how terrible this could have been.

+2 on that one.
    I sat through that video, shaking my head sadly that a good man's refusal to act cost him his life so some turd could calmly, deliberately murder him.
    And, yes, the cop in this video didn't exercise restraint; he was in some kind of mental lockup mode.
    It's fortunate that both the good guy and the bad guy weren't hurt, but it could have gone so much worse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So, what made him give up all of a sudden and comply?

The arrival of other officers would be my guess, but who knows why these people do what they do?

We had a vehicle pursuit with a domestic violence suspect. A supervisor called the pursuit when it got off the Interstate and back into city traffic, so we cut off our lights and sirens. As soon as we did the guy pulled over. WTF knows why.

I'm not going to MMQ the guy. Sometimes you have to go with your gut, but you better be real sure you're willing to pay the price if you're wrong.

Top Bottom