• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Been contemplating the 9mm vs 300blk myself for a pistol build, I've got 2 receivers coming and figure a rifle and pistol is the way to go. The rifle will be 5.56 but I am leaning towards 300blk, It will be the cheaper of the 2 to build and the commonality of parts seems appealing. I reload so price of ammo is not really a factor, I actually despise reloading 9mm and prefer rifle calibers.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I've been doing a fair amount of research, and a picture is actually beginning to form so I am going to share where I am at and why. Generally speaking, I am a very cheap sob, but I actually want to do this rifle justice. I already own an M-16A1 clone, built from an original Colt parts kit. Thus, I already have a light rifle that is simply fun to shoot, so this one I want to be as accurate as possible without breaking the bank. Accurate as possible for me isn't necessarily match grade competition, but at least something accurate enough that the limiting factor is me instead of the rifle.

Receiver: I really hate it when a lower and an upper don't match. This is a little pricier than some, but the best way to make sure the color of the anodizing is as close as possible is to the get the upper from the same source as the lower. BCI Defense Stripped Upper Receiver

Barrel: This is the part that probably best determines the accuracy potential so it worth some thought. Realistically, I'm never going to spend $300 or up. I'm too cheap, too old, and not that interested in competitive shooting. However, the cheaper barrels seem like too much of a gamble for something I want to turn out right. Green Mountain barrels has a solid reputation for good barrels at a reasonable price. I like the idea of an 18" heavy barrel as a compromise between stiff enough to shoot accurately, without being so heavy that you can't carry it. I also like that this one has a rifle length gas system. GM-M18 18" 223 WYLDE chamber - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

The Faxon Gunner barrel is also still in the running too. A little lighter, probably still plenty accurate enough for me. 18" GUNNER, 5.56 NATO, Rifle-Length, 4150 QPQ - Faxon Firearms

Handguards: I have never owned an AR-15 with free-float handguards, so this is all new to me. I like this one because it looks like it would be more comfortable to hold than the ones with rails on the bottom, the price is reasonable, and it doesn't require any special tools to install the barrel nut. https://www.ar15part.com/product-p/g2nrstbnrl.htm

Buttstock: I know that collapsible stocks are all the rage with the cool kids, but I have always liked the A2 style fixed stock. https://www.ar15part.com/product-p/stockkitma2ar15.htm

Trigger: I like the 2-stage triggers of the M-1 Garand, so I am leaning that way even though I am used to the standard 1-stage trigger on my other AR-15. I know the Geissele seems to be the gold standard, but the Rock River Arms is probably good enough for me once I polish it up. https://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=294

I could sure use ideas on sources for a BCG. I don't want something that is junk, but I don't want to waste money on refinements that won't matter to me anyway. Thanks for any helpful comments. I have never really put together a rifle before where I could just pick all of the options, so advice is appreciated.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    ^^^ This sounds a lot like where my thinking is too. ^^^

I'm leaning toward full rifle length gas system, barrel built for accuracy, free float hand guards, fixed stock, two stage trigger.

Thanks for the links. These are a good place to start.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    More thoughts, and a request for ideas. The idea of getting your username engraved was suggested earlier, and I was thinking of possibly doing that to the outside of the dust cover so that the receiver isn't etched with my name forever. Thus it could say "INGO - Rob63" or "Rob63 - 5.56". I'm kind of thinking it might be good to mark the caliber depending upon whether the barrel I end up with is clearly marked or not, unsure about that.

Any good ideas for the inside of the dust cover? Something that might be amusing to INGO members as an inside joke. I thought of "Pew, Pew" or "Ban Hammer", but I think they extend well beyond INGO. Is "Bacon Option" past its prime?

"Glocks Suck"
    "Condition Butterscotch"
    "Fenway's Bugatti"
    "Bully Reported"
    "Boating Accident"
    "Mall Ninja"
    "Internet Operator"

Other ideas?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    More thoughts, and a request for ideas. The idea of getting your username engraved was suggested earlier, and I was thinking of possibly doing that to the outside of the dust cover so that the receiver isn't etched with my name forever. Thus it could say "INGO - Rob63" or "Rob63 - 5.56". I'm kind of thinking it might be good to mark the caliber depending upon whether the barrel I end up with is clearly marked or not, unsure about that.

Any good ideas for the inside of the dust cover? Something that might be amusing to INGO members as an inside joke. I thought of "Pew, Pew" or "Ban Hammer", but I think they extend well beyond INGO. Is "Bacon Option" past its prime?

"Glocks Suck"
    "Condition Butterscotch"
    "Fenway's Bugatti"
    "Bully Reported"
    "Boating Accident"
    "Mall Ninja"
    "Internet Operator"

Other ideas?

How about "Non-Shooter"

That would throw anyone not familiar with Ingo off the mark...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think I'm going with a 22lr and maybe a 9mm later.

Allow me to recommend the Tac Sol dedicated upper. I have an M4, very pleased with it. You're not going to win any smallbore matches with it but it will eat most anything and runs really well even when dirty. I'd say I have a thousand rounds through mine with very few FTF.

AR-22? Conversions ? Tactical Solutions

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    BCM Enhanced Lightweight 16" upper with Keymod handguard for mine. Geiselle SSA-E trigger and probably Magpul CTR stock.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Allow me to recommend the Tac Sol dedicated upper. I have an M4, very pleased with it. You're not going to win any smallbore matches with it but it will eat most anything and runs really well even when dirty. I'd say I have a thousand rounds through mine with very few FTF.

AR-22? Conversions ? Tactical Solutions

Thanks for the link. I was just going to pick up a 223/556 upper and then install a .22 bolt.
    I do like their 10/22 barrel. 16 in with my suppressor and no stamp.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks for the link. I was just going to pick up a 223/556 upper and then install a .22 bolt.
    I do like their 10/22 barrel. 16 in with my suppressor and no stamp.

I don't think you'll be happy with a conversion kit. I went the dedicated rimfire upper route to solve the feeding & accuracy problems they have. The Tac Sol will give you a consistent 1" group at 50 yds.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I think I am going with a pistol in 300 blk with a possibility of becoming an SBR some day. I mainly want it for a range toy but I might take it deer hunting ad well. Any recommendations on barrel length? I'm thinking 10.5 in but not entirely sure.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well, I ordered my first parts tonight for this build.

I decided I'm going with a rifle length set-up. Most likely a 20" barrel. So for now, I'm gathering parts to build the lower. I ordered a Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock with buffer kit. Got it from Buckeye Tactical for $99 plus free shipping.

magpul-ar-15-moe-rifle-stock-w-dpms-buffer-assembly-kit-2.gif

Next up is the LPK. I want a half decent trigger, but I'm not ready to shell out for a two stage. I'm intrigued by the BCM enhanced lpk, but it's out of stock pretty much everywhere.

For now the plan is to finish the lower as soon as I can, and use an existing upper. I'll be piecing the new upper together over the next year or so as funds allow.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Love that stock MCgrease08 ... I have one on my current build ... great price too.

The trigger I'm planning to install is the ALG Advanced Combat Trigger ... Advanced Combat Trigger (ACT) - Triggers - AR-15 / AR-10 - Lower Parts

Still debating whether I'll install springs from JP Enterprises ... JP - Spring Kits ... for the cost, I'll probably just drop in the springs and see how I like them.

Any suggestions from the INGO community on where to look for custom engraved trigger guards? Go Ogle turned up a few possibilities, but I'm hoping somebody has some first hand experience.

By chance are there any INGO trigger guards floating around out there with the oh so elusive INGO dust covers?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I ordered my first parts tonight for this build.

I decided I'm going with a rifle length set-up. Most likely a 20" barrel. So for now, I'm gathering parts to build the lower. I ordered a Magpul MOE fixed rifle stock with buffer kit. Got it from Buckeye Tactical for $99 plus free shipping.

magpul-ar-15-moe-rifle-stock-w-dpms-buffer-assembly-kit-2.gif

Next up is the LPK. I want a half decent trigger, but I'm not ready to shell out for a two stage. I'm intrigued by the BCM enhanced lpk, but it's out of stock pretty much everywhere.

For now the plan is to finish the lower as soon as I can, and use an existing upper. I'll be piecing the new upper together over the next year or so as funds allow.

I have a pretty good pile of spare parts both new and used.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'll probably wait to finish my build whenever I find parts on sale.

Here's what I do know
    1. It'll be 14.5 inch - 16 inch
    2. It'll be 5.56
    3. It'll have a midlength gas system

This isn't my only AR so I'm in no rush. I already have multiple form 1's and am in no rush to do another.

Top Bottom