• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    with all the serious stuff going on nowadays I thought a lighthearted thread might do us all some good... My son just turned 5 and he’s obsessed with Nerf Blasters. He’s got two now and all his preschool friends have them. They bring them to parties (or at least did pre-pandemic) and have Nerf Wars. My son trolls YouTube all the time looking for Nerf Blaster videos.

I know I’m way late to this party but I didn’t know what a big deal these things are. Hell, the manual of arms for a lot of these things mimics real world weapons. Clip type magazines, drum magazines, charging handles, tactical rails with sights, scopes, full vs semi-auto, it’s been a real eye-opener checking this stuff out.

I got this one for my kid a few days ago and no joke, the darts from this thing really have some punch. I’ve been getting ambushed regularly around the house and I have been the victim of a few head shots including a couple to the face without eye protection which is no fun.

Well, I guess it’s a good opportunity to teach the kid early about muzzle and trigger discipline and gives me a chance to work on my situational awareness, LOL.

Anyone got any good Nerf Blaster stories? I’m afraid to look into modding these things to make them shoot farther or faster because there’s a whole hobbyist subculture out there and I’ve got enough on my plate as it is.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Oh yeah...I remember when my son got his NERF Sniper Rifle, NERF Squad Automatic Weapon, &c, &c. One year the Christmas Tree really "got some." We have sooo many ornaments and "it was Christmas," so I tried to intervene on the little guy's behalf by cleaning up and discarding the sharp pieces. But I missed some. Mama put a stop to that foolishness.

My mom took the opportunity to point up that his grandpa came home in a police cruiser in the 1950s for shooting out street lights with a BB gun. The stories and bonding moments that come out around a kid's first blaster.

We set up yardsticks across chairs and put army men on them, to shoot off. It got to be quite the contest. We no **** constructed an actual, functioning Texas Star out of sticks and 3x5 pieces of cardboard. And it worked, I mean it was stoopid. My wife was like "how long did you spend on that?"

He is 17 and we still find nerf projectiles around the house every so often. He gets a kick out of that.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    He is 17 and we still find nerf projectiles around the house every so often.

I have not fired an airsoft inside a dwelling in at least 15 years and still occasionally will find a BB mixed in a cup of pens or a stray box of AA batteries. Pet toys are about the same way. Some 20 years after the cat died my parents still found a couple of toy balls scattered around the house.

We just need to allow these elements of our lives to throw silver dollars at each other so we'll never go broke. :laugh6:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My nephew got one at Christmas a few years back. It was a double barrel shotgun style. Breaks down like my old pellet gun did, has a lot stronger spring than I thought it would. Lightly pull the trigger will shoot one round, hard press will shoot the 2nd or both if you didn’t fire the first already. Having nerf guns when I was a kid was fun but they weren’t very strong. This thing had enough power when I shot at the wall across the room (good sized living room) it came back at me and over my head. The nerf guns I had would barely make it across the room. These things are like a paintball gun with foam ammo now. I’d love to be a kid today in some ways.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    My nephew got one at Christmas a few years back. It was a double barrel shotgun style. Breaks down like my old pellet gun did, has a lot stronger spring than I thought it would. Lightly pull the trigger will shoot one round, hard press will shoot the 2nd or both if you didn’t fire the first already. Having nerf guns when I was a kid was fun but they weren’t very strong. This thing had enough power when I shot at the wall across the room (good sized living room) it came back at me and over my head. The nerf guns I had would barely make it across the room. These things are like a paintball gun with foam ammo now. I’d love to be a kid today in some ways.
    Funny you mention that, my 5 year old son just got that exact same nerf shotgun this year.
    Its been fun to watch him shoot toy slime containers from across the living room.

It is his first nerf gun, and it feels like ill be looking into more soon.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Funny you mention that, my 5 year old son just got that exact same nerf shotgun this year.
    Its been fun to watch him shoot toy slime containers from across the living room.

It is his first nerf gun, and it feels like ill be looking into more soon.
    It’s powerful for a toy gun that shoots foam bullets! They have some really cool ones out now, nothing like when I was a kid. And it’s a great way to start teaching kids gun safety when they’re young without having any real dangers to go along with it.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Was fortunate to have my son's fascination with all things Nerf and Star Wars occur at the same time. His favorite weekend activity was setting up a large scale battle of Hoth complete with AT-AT's, snow speeders and laser cannons. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting snow troopers or rebels. We'd pick sides and decimate the opposition one Nerf bullet at a time.

I think back fondly on those simpler times, especially when he's burning through my expensive .308 rounds.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Nerf Mega is awesome. My son has a plethora of all sized dart flingers from multiple companies. The Mega is so much better, we think. He has this little single shot pistol that I absolutely love for sniping shots.

Screenshot_20210108-120409.png

Then there are beasts like this....

Screenshot_20210108-120644.png

And this......

Screenshot_20210108-120910.png

We will be having an all out battle soon.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And don't be afraid of the "Walmart" or "off" brands. We bought my son this drum fed one for Christmas and it shoots like holy heck.

PXL_20210108_171407601.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    For many years it was tradition that everyone got a new nerf gun for Christmas and it was all out war all day.

Shooting mom was off limits but everyone else was fair game. We would walk around all day with our blasters in our hands never setting them down.

My nephew got into modding them for a while until he discovered airsoft, then he graduated to real guns.

There's a group that meets in boradripple park for nerf battles.
    Now I'm a senior Linux admin, long time d&d player went to gencon for 7 years most of the time for free since I have pals in the industry. Even I chuckle and thinks "nerds!" When I see that group at the park. Lol

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    We got this one for our son earlier today. Needless to say he’s having an absolute blast with it. And I couldn’t help but break out into a big smile and tell my wife “this is pretty cool”. My kid thinks he’s Rambo without knowing who that is.

Adventure Force V-Twin Motorized Gatling Belt Dart Blaster

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone heard of Foam Warriorz? My wife found this today:

This Kentucky-based chain is all about foam dart warfare. They’re opening a location in Castleton in April. My son will go nuts.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My 4 year old and almost 3 year old love nerf guns. They call them “shooters”.
    They just have problems “cocking” their nerf guns. So I’ve been looking into the automatic ones. Make it easy for them.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I came across this earlier today... it didn’t fool LEOs one bit and I’m sure the drug dealers who painted it up to look like a Nerf blaster didn’t think about the possibility of a kid coming across it. I’ll give them a solid “A” for both effort and stupidity.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There is a church in the next town over that is having NERF night every Wednesday for then next six weeks. Bring a gun and they supply the eye pro and darts.

My kids attended this week and had a blast. There were skills challenges and other stuff besides just a war. I had to work so hopefully I can go next week.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I started an IKEA Skadis pegboard wall for my sons growing Nerf Blaster collection. It’s a work in progress, we just threw them up there for now.

Attachments

• 29CBC711-1565-419D-9B20-7394B4F48BD0.jpeg
      29CBC711-1565-419D-9B20-7394B4F48BD0.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 7

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This IKEA Skadis thing is pretty neat… I have to add the lower right panel to complete the T shape. The blasters are where my son wanted to put them. I have other ideas but he’s not listening, LOL.

Attachments

• A42D41AB-A409-4569-8C12-1B8C64D50D8A.jpeg
      A42D41AB-A409-4569-8C12-1B8C64D50D8A.jpeg
      3.5 MB · Views: 11

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We got our son the new "BoomDozer". Six shots of whistling 30mm fun. The orange dart on the right is the standard size nerf dart.

This this shoots like a grenade launcher. Seriously. At 10 yards it drops about 3 feet. Aim for the head, hit em' in the waist .

PXL_20211225_235036901.jpg

Top Bottom