• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But the British are not evil, the Nazis and the CSA were.

Is not one man owning another evil? The CSA fought and died to defend this practice.

My Irish and Scottish ancestors, along with millions of wogs around the world owned by the British Empire, would beg to disagree.

Your first statement is as devoid of truth as your second.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Do you mean to tell me that when Ronald Reagan dressed up as a mob boss in The Killers that he wasn't really a mob boss? Yeah right. Next thing ya know you'll be telling us that Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't really a killer robot from the future. Come on man.

Hmmm, no purple, must be a liberal!:runaway:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Sure, I understand, dress up like Nathan Bedford Forrest or Heinrich Himmler if you wish, but expect some political consequences.;)

If you parade around in the uniform of great evil like the 3rd Reich or the CSA, is it not legit politically to raise questions about a candidate's personal beliefs?

whats wrong with the CSA? I dont think they were evil at all. and neither did your British countrymen at the time who were happy to help them as long as they paid in gold or silver.

I wish the South would have won. they were certainly more in the right than the EVIL north!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    But the British are not evil, the Nazis and the CSA were.

Is not one man owning another evil? The CSA fought and died to defend this practice.

the EVIL British tried to enslave my American ancestors and they kicked the British's asses! HOOAH!!! Im VERY proud of my blood that helped found this country and stood against the tyranical british.

The Civil War wasnt about slavery, and as soon as you school yourself on this subject you will start making more informed post. I grew up knowing I had family on both sides of the war between the states. My southern relatives told me stories that had been passed down from generation to generation about how the EVIL yankees came to their land and tried to force things on their way of life and culture. never did the slavery issue come up in those discussions that I now treasure and will pass onto my daughter. Some of my ancestors were plantation owners and I have no shameabout that because it was simply the way things were back then.

The most effed up thing in this country is when foreigners come and start talking crap about our ancestors and we just let them.
    Kirk, you can take your BS and shove it!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    the EVIL British tried to enslave my American ancestors and they kicked the British's asses! HOOAH!!! Im VERY proud of my blood that helped found this country and stood against the tyranical british.

The Civil War wasnt about slavery, and as soon as you school yourself on this subject you will start making more informed post. I grew up knowing I had family on both sides of the war between the states. My southern relatives told me stories that had been passed down from generation to generation about how the EVIL yankees came to their land and tried to force things on their way of life and culture. never did the slavery issue come up in those discussions that I now treasure and will pass onto my daughter. Some of my ancestors were plantation owners and I have no shameabout that because it was simply the way things were back then.

The most effed up thing in this country is when foreigners come and start talking crap about our ancestors and we just let them.
    Kirk, you can take your BS and shove it!

I had a grandfather who grew up on an indian reservation. He would likely have agreed with the statement in red.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I had a grandfather who grew up on an indian reservation. He would likely have agreed with the statement in red.

I have Native American ancestors on my mothers side, so I can speak to that issue too (as is has been passed to me by stories of my ancestors, and its haunting). one of my great aunts was full cherokee. thats another emotional issue to me also. I have great respect also for my native American ancestors.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    A: I am for states' rights. The rights of my State are being violated.

B: Which of the rights retained by your State are being violated?

A: The right to have my property returned to me if it escapes.

B: Who is violating your rights?

A: The northern states who are refusing to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act, and the northern politicians who are refusing to allow some territories to become states unless they come in as non-slave states.

B: So, you're seceding to protect slavery?

A: No, we're seceding to protect our rights.

If the U.S. was violating a number of the southern states' rights, you could make an argument that the war wasn't about slavery. If the rights they were trying to protect were the "rights" concerning slavery, to say the war was about rights and not about slavery is misdirection.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I think there were some who had great respect for the Native Americans. Unfortunately though, there were some in power (perhaps you would call them elitists) who felt the Native Americans were unschooled heathens whose way of living was so totally foreign to them it seemed barbaric. It was these same people who felt they had the right to take whatever they wanted and get it however they could.

So, I can see some resemblance to some things that just keep on happening, even in today's political world.

It's the same battle now. Others trying to get control over a different group of people, to get what they want.

My great-grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and I'm damned proud of it. I don't have any issue with people dressing up as Native Americans or using Indian symbols, etc for sports teams. As long as it's done respectfully and it accurately shows their contributions to history.

Just as if the Nazi re-enactor's accurately portray them as they were and not idolize them. This is simply one way for history to become living, so that people can learn from it. Same as the Civil War re-enactors.

Rep. Cantor took the bait from the ginned-up news story and now it's got legs. This whole story is one created to generate diversion from what's actually taking place.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I think there were some who had great respect for the Native Americans. Unfortunately though, there were some in power (perhaps you would call them elitists) who felt the Native Americans were unschooled heathens whose way of living was so totally foreign to them it seemed barbaric. It was these same people who felt they had the right to take whatever they wanted and get it however they could.

So, I can see some resemblance to some things that just keep on happening, even in today's political world.

It's the same battle now. Others trying to get control over a different group of people, to get what they want.

My great-grandmother was full blooded Cherokee and I'm damned proud of it. I don't have any issue with people dressing up as Native Americans or using Indian symbols, etc for sports teams. As long as it's done respectfully and it accurately shows their contributions to history.

Just as if the Nazi re-enactor's accurately portray them as they were and not idolize them. This is simply one way for history to become living, so that people can learn from it. Same as the Civil War re-enactors.

Rep. Cantor took the bait from the ginned-up news story and now it's got legs. This whole story is one created to generate diversion from what's actually taking place.

Reminds me of something I once read about Werner Klemperer; he agreed to play a Nazi on TV, but only if the Nazi was foolish and never successful.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Since this thread is going every which-a-way, I'll weigh in on the Indian issue.

There is no story of the American Indian. There are hundreds of different stories, depending on the tribe, the band, and the time in history.

What happened to them was inevitable.

It's also important to remember that while they were often victims, much of the time they were also aggressors. It's very complicated and requires a great deal of study to even begin to understand the basic issues.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Since this thread is going every which-a-way, I'll weigh in on the Indian issue.

There is no story of the American Indian. There are hundreds of different stories, depending on the tribe, the band, and the time in history.

It's also important to remember that while they were often victims, much of the time they were also aggressors. It's very complicated and requires a great deal of study to even begin to understand the basic issues.

Two interesting reads are Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and (although I dislike the author) A People's History of the United States.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Two interesting reads are Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and (although I dislike the author) A People's History of the United States.

I've read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

I'm currently working on about my fourth failed novel, this one has to do with the situation in Texas in the mid 1800s, when settlers were moving into the middle areas of Texas and encountering the Comanches. To the Comanches, this little settlements were like Wal Marts opening up.

One of the things they did was carry off young women and children. The children were usually allowed to join the tribe, the women were turned into slaves, sexual and otherwise, and treated horribly.

My story is loosely based on the true story of a young woman who lived through two years of captivity, was rescued, but died due to the deprivations she experienced in her captivity. It's about a lot more than that, too, but that provides the engine.

The point is that, while some people of european ancestry victimized the Indians, some Indians victimized the former. The modern viewpoint is as simplistic as the old viewpoint of Indians as mindless savages.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA

Thank you for pointing this out. While I don't agree with what our predecessors did to the Native Americans, it DOES need to be pointed out that our practices regarding land were very similar. Both NA and Settler saw land that they wanted and took it by force if necessary. Noone's hands are clean in the matter. It's happened all throughout our history and WILL continue to happen.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Read also, The Autobiography of Black Hawk, it's is written as his defense of his actions, but reading it opened my eyes that the American Indians were not completely innocent victims. As dross said, there are many stories, but this one led me to believe that how the Indians acted in relation to white settlers was often irrational, illogical and even underhanded.

For example, he told how his tribe would sell land to whites before winter while they traveled to winter in warmer areas. When they returned in the Spring, after the settlers had planted crops, they would demand the land back (explaining that they didn't intend for it to be a permanent sale) which, of course, the settlers refused. The tribe would kill them and take back the land. Now, I could see how the tribe might have this little misunderstanding once, maybe twice, but it happened year after year, leading to wars between whites and Indians.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I've read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

I'm currently working on about my fourth failed novel, this one has to do with the situation in Texas in the mid 1800s, when settlers were moving into the middle areas of Texas and encountering the Comanches. To the Comanches, this little settlements were like Wal Marts opening up.

One of the things they did was carry off young women and children. The children were usually allowed to join the tribe, the women were turned into slaves, sexual and otherwise, and treated horribly.

My story is loosely based on the true story of a young woman who lived through two years of captivity, was rescued, but died due to the deprivations she experienced in her captivity. It's about a lot more than that, too, but that provides the engine.

The point is that, while some people of european ancestry victimized the Indians, some Indians victimized the former. The modern viewpoint is as simplistic as the old viewpoint of Indians as mindless savages.

Have you read about Olive Oatman? Her story is somewhat different from the norm but its interesting.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

True, there's enough history (good & bad) on both sides. I'm sure my family history is not much different than that of most native Hoosiers and others of adjacent States. If you go back in time you'll probably find Native American blood on one side of the family and on the other you might find a relative who used to hunt Indians also. So I'm sure there were aggressors and peacemakers all mixed together.

Top Bottom