• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One mans opinion.

I never ever heard of 50 plus people being mowed down by a truck in my youth. Never.
    Never remember a train station getting gassed/bombed/shot up in my youth.
    Planes being flown into populated areas/buildings.......Nope.
    Home invasions as an almost everyday news story.......not to my memory.
    There are a lot of thing that have changed in this world. A lot not for the better.

Doom and gloom, not so much as looking at the world sans rose colored glasses.

Despite what you may have read, you're not actually as old as everyone here claims you are.

First, there has never been a better time to be alive. More people are living longer and more comfortably. It certainly feels like there are fewer deadly threats these days, and most children live to reach adulthood.

That said, the way death is being delivered by evil men these days does seem to be evolving. I'd say the old days were worse. Be it a terror attack by a truck, a band of marauding Vikings, or a foreign army, dead is dead.

25 Most Horrific Massacres in History

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    While the statistics provide the hard numbers that violent crime overall is lower, providing the quantitative context, the nature (level of cruelty), motivations (most petty of reasons or religious fanaticism), and numbers killed in each incident illustrate the qualitative context.
    Add to that the large numbers of people, be they religious fanatic terrorist fellow travelers or ordinary citizens *cough* BLM *cough* who provide moral and even material support, while cheering on foreign terrorists or celebrating the likes of a Michah Xavier Johnson.
    I mean, it's true that some of the gangsters of the past, notably one John Dillinger, had some ill-educated (translation: stupid) people who refused to cooperate with authorities in the apprehension of said gangsters or even quietly applauded their actions, but that passive complicity was not supported by entire organizations, and that kind of support nearly disappeared the moment that one of the gangsters showed what an animal he really was.
    Yes, there was the mafia, but even they had their limits on what they would do, not all of them for noble reasons, quite a contrast to the type of nihilism of terrorists, foreign or domestic.
    Also, while beheadings and burning people to death are nothing new, most of that (save for the Reign of Terror) was isolated or happened more during the Middle Ages or clear back to at least Genghis Khan's time.
    Add to that the very way that these atrocities are committed, deliberately prolonged, with accomplices and executioners all standing by (the Nick Berg footage) and whooping in celebration while HD cameras are expertly zoomed in on the gruesome action to capture every sickening detail, to be later used in propaganda videos for recruiting purposes.
    In fact, the very idea that there are large numbers of people eager to join these most despicable of groups by such ghastly high-production gore should be enough by itself to sicken any person with a conscience.
    No, the numbers overall are down or declining, but I think that is more than overshadowed by the spectacle of pre-teen kids being deliberately shot by gang-members, ISIS members laughing and cheering and screaming "Allahu Akbar" (God is great in Arabic, a fact that alone is loathsome in context) while a 12-year-old boy slowly saws the head off of an "infidel," or the inevitable flood of antisocial media posts from people whenever a particularly large-scale or heinous atrocity is committed.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I honestly believe the instant way we get news 24/7 has skewed our view of the world. Every single violent crime statistic has decreased dramatically over the past 25 years in the US. Murder rates have been nearly cut in half. The world still sucks, but it's never been better.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2015

I believe this is a huge factor. I recall a static that said child abductions were down something like 40% from the 60's yet a good number of parents won't let their kids out of their sight because now every abduction is known across the country in a matter of minutes. They think it didn't happen as much when they were kids. It did, you just didn't hear about every one if them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I believe this is a huge factor. I recall a static that said child abductions were down something like 40% from the 60's yet a good number of parents won't let their kids out of their sight because now every abduction is known across the country in a matter of minutes. They think it didn't happen as much when they were kids. It did, you just didn't hear about every one if them.

While the statistics provide the hard numbers that violent crime overall is lower, providing the quantitative context, the nature (level of cruelty), motivations (most petty of reasons or religious fanaticism), and numbers killed in each incident illustrate the qualitative context.
    Add to that the large numbers of people, be they religious fanatic terrorist fellow travelers or ordinary citizens *cough* BLM *cough* who provide moral and even material support, while cheering on foreign terrorists or celebrating the likes of a Michah Xavier Johnson.
    I mean, it's true that some of the gangsters of the past, notably one John Dillinger, had some ill-educated (translation: stupid) people who refused to cooperate with authorities in the apprehension of said gangsters or even quietly applauded their actions, but that passive complicity was not supported by entire organizations, and that kind of support nearly disappeared the moment that one of the gangsters showed what an animal he really was.
    Yes, there was the mafia, but even they had their limits on what they would do, not all of them for noble reasons, quite a contrast to the type of nihilism of terrorists, foreign or domestic.
    Also, while beheadings and burning people to death are nothing new, most of that (save for the Reign of Terror) was isolated or happened more during the Middle Ages or clear back to at least Genghis Khan's time.
    Add to that the very way that these atrocities are committed, deliberately prolonged, with accomplices and executioners all standing by (the Nick Berg footage) and whooping in celebration while HD cameras are expertly zoomed in on the gruesome action to capture every sickening detail, to be later used in propaganda videos for recruiting purposes.
    In fact, the very idea that there are large numbers of people eager to join these most despicable of groups by such ghastly high-production gore should be enough by itself to sicken any person with a conscience.
    No, the numbers overall are down or declining, but I think that is more than overshadowed by the spectacle of pre-teen kids being deliberately shot by gang-members, ISIS members laughing and cheering and screaming "Allahu Akbar" (God is great in Arabic, a fact that alone is loathsome in context) while a 12-year-old boy slowly saws the head off of an "infidel," or the inevitable flood of antisocial media posts from people whenever a particularly large-scale or heinous atrocity is committed.

Both of these posts better explain my views here.

Yes we are living longer. But in this we have discovered/generated so many malady's that were not known/present in my youth.
    Measure it all as you will. I feel in these times when cars and doors are locked and security lights/cameras are becoming the norm that statistics are skewed to a point of being a bit misleading. The revolving door judicial system and the record numbers of repeat offenders with no moral fiber or respect for life have generated a feeling of insecurity. Grifters and panhandlers are common place now. Phone scammers wearing out our phones. 24/7 news cycles. All of this and much more are a driving force in our lack of security.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Despite what you may have read, you're not actually as old as everyone here claims you are.

First, there has never been a better time to be alive. More people are living longer and more comfortably. It certainly feels like there are fewer deadly threats these days, and most children live to reach adulthood.

That said, the way death is being delivered by evil men these days does seem to be evolving. I'd say the old days were worse. Be it a terror attack by a truck, a band of marauding Vikings, or a foreign army, dead is dead.

And this is viewed through your perspective. Many good points here of course.
    I am old enough to remember a time that leaving home with a sidearm was not the norm for me. Little to no fear of the world in general. I am talking about people not disease. On the health issue we did not have to get a flu shot to combat the latest bug that was coming from some other land outside our borders either. Sars and so on were not a real issue.
    The drug sub-culture is a growing issue that has caused so many problems/deaths and is becoming more and more violent. This is another new problem that has come along.

Times have changed and so have the threats we face. Many will never ever have to experience a lot of what we are discussing but it is for sure a part of life in these times.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Hey now, we were just defending our right of land fall. Just because the local priest told you bed wetter's not to trade with 'those heathens' after we rowed all that way...that man needed a sacking.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One mans opinion.

I never ever heard of 50 plus people being mowed down by a truck in my youth. Never.
    Never remember a train station getting gassed/bombed/shot up in my youth.
    Planes being flown into populated areas/buildings.......Nope.
    Home invasions as an almost everyday news story.......not to my memory.
    There are a lot of thing that have changed in this world. A lot not for the better.

Doom and gloom, not so much as looking at the world sans rose colored glasses.

People digging bomb shelters.
    Gas chambers for Jews.
    Polo, AIDS, and other new diseases.
    Lynchings for glancing at white women.
    Government sponsored racism.
    Wars of massive scale.
    Munich massacre.
    Jonestown massacre.
    Massive crime of the 70's.
    Drug wars of the 80's.
    Alcohol wars of the 20's (ok, maybe you didn't experience that one)
    Cambodian killing fields.
    Shipping people to Siberia.
    Machine gunning people who try to leave a country.

All things that happened in your lifetime, yet not in mine. (for the most part; there's exceptions)

Every generation has a new set of doom and gloom, yet also a new set of ... sun and fun (?) (can't think of something better...)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    But saying we need to stay away from areas, or times of day, or types of people is only surrendering to their lifestyle in hopes that we die before it becomes an issue in our places where we hope to stay safe.

We need to publicly disavow the lifestyle and not accept them anywhere at any time.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well, maybe but the number of drug related shootings is on the rise every year.
    Even when the MSM does not say as much it is pretty clear whats up.

Or the reporting goes up.

Back then you had the paper, the six o'clock news, and maybe the radio.

Now we have a continual torrent of news with feeds designed specifically targeted at you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But saying we need to stay away from areas, or times of day, or types of people is only surrendering to their lifestyle in hopes that we die before it becomes an issue in our places where we hope to stay safe.

We need to publicly disavow the lifestyle and not accept them anywhere at any time.

Or we need to change the dynamic that drives the lifestyle.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Or we need to change the dynamic that drives the lifestyle.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    The Brookings Institute had the following that they learned from exhaustive statistical analysis:

• If you want to avoid poverty and join the middle class in the United States, you need to do three things: Complete high school (at a minimum), work full time and marry before you have children.
    • If you do all three, your chances of being poor fall from 12 percent to 2 percent, and your chances of joining the middle class or above rise from 56 to 74 percent.
    • Brookings defines middle class as having an income of at least $50,000 a year for a family of three.
    This was also buttressed by earlier research from Daniel Patrick Moynihan, then an assistant secretary of labor in the LBJ administration, in a detailed report titled (not my words) "The Negro Family" published in 1965.
    Moynihan was prophetic in seeing the aggravating and causative factors for poverty, and those factors apply to all people, even though the focus of this particular report was self-explanatory.
    Sadly, while thoughtful people praised Moynihan's work and intentions, demagogues accused Moynihan himself of racism, in a most despicable and craven attack to discredit the report and Moynihan to maintain a reliable voting bloc permanently at the lower tiers of society.
    Fast forward over fifty years, with illegitimacy skyrocketing, while high school graduation, and full-time work rates have plummeted, and we act surprised when the predictable results eventuate?

Top Bottom