• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    The Brookings Institute had the following that they learned from exhaustive statistical analysis:

• If you want to avoid poverty and join the middle class in the United States, you need to do three things: Complete high school (at a minimum), work full time and marry before you have children.
    • If you do all three, your chances of being poor fall from 12 percent to 2 percent, and your chances of joining the middle class or above rise from 56 to 74 percent.
    • Brookings defines middle class as having an income of at least $50,000 a year for a family of three.
    This was also buttressed by earlier research from Daniel Patrick Moynihan, then an assistant secretary of labor in the LBJ administration, in a detailed report titled (not my words) "The Negro Family" published in 1965.
    Moynihan was prophetic in seeing the aggravating and causative factors for poverty, and those factors apply to all people, even though the focus of this particular report was self-explanatory.
    Sadly, while thoughtful people praised Moynihan's work and intentions, demagogues accused Moynihan himself of racism, in a most despicable and craven attack to discredit the report and Moynihan to maintain a reliable voting bloc permanently at the lower tiers of society.
    Fast forward over fifty years, with illegitimacy skyrocketing, while high school graduation, and full-time work rates have plummeted, and we act surprised when the predictable results eventuate?

In light of this, it makes you wonder why those steps haven't been seriously looked at.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, the woman who died had her whole family shot...husband and 2 children, now the 'reveal' was a hoax. Too many questions and the investigators are being fed lies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I agree, 100%. :(

The sky isn't falling quite yet. It will take well more than 4 years before we reach a point of no return... but then again, if were talking about the America of IndyDave's grandparents and great grandparents, you can bet that (at least for me) that if America tries to go back to those days, yeah, it will be a SHTF.

Kut (reminds that not all grandparents look so fondly on the America of their youth)

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    What ever happened to a birth announcement?

I feel bad for the kids that were there. What is the world coming to?

Ultrasound can often reveal the gender with some certainty before birth, at least that it's a boy if a particular appendage is clearly visible in the imagery.

There's got to be more back story to this than two wannabe ninjas randomly selecting the house for a home invasion just to hose it down with bullets. You're right, this has got to be extremely traumatizing for the childern and I concur with the last sentence: "What is the world coming to?"

John

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The sky isn't falling quite yet. It will take well more than 4 years before we reach a point of no return... but then again, if were talking about the America of IndyDave's grandparents and great grandparents, you can bet that (at least for me) that if America tries to go back to those days, yeah, it will be a SHTF.

Kut (reminds that not all grandparents look so fondly on the America of their youth)

I will have to come back to this. I am pissed enough to get banned at this point.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Bro, don't get banned. I'm not trying to raise your temp, I just offering you a perspective it appears you haven't considered.

It gets very frustrating that some aspects of the past have to get elevated to being somewhere between the main thing and the only thing. Why is it not possible to take a general remark at face value pertaining to government still living in its box, there being actual community, and still having the possibility of enjoying life being left the hell alone without any assumptions of excluding any subset of the population from that vision of a better American than what we have now when you can't live your life without having to deal with a long line of unacceptable individuals making a point of imposing themselves on you in the name of 'freedom'?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    In light of this, it makes you wonder why those steps haven't been seriously looked at.
    One word: control. It's an easy way to divide and control the masses. A happy and fruitful populace is less likely to vote for your brand of "change" than an unhappy, unproductive (in regards to this study) populace.

Itbaint just guns and booze they want to use to control us.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It gets very frustrating that some aspects of the past have to get elevated to being somewhere between the main thing and the only thing. Why is it not possible to take a general remark at face value pertaining to government still living in its box, there being actual community, and still having the possibility of enjoying life being left the hell alone without any assumptions of excluding any subset of the population from that vision of a better American than what we have now when you can't live your life without having to deal with a long line of unacceptable individuals making a point of imposing themselves on you in the name of 'freedom'?

When your grandparents and great grandparents were relatively young adults, the govt generally stayed out of their way. Such wasn't the case for mine. The second class citizenship my relatives endured, created a massive underclass which allowed certain segments of the nation to thrive, and in turn the nation with it. Those persons within the underclass, unlike illegals who send money back to their home nations, boosted the American economy by paying into the system. That system is thankfully long gone, but if one were to try and mimic it, then that necessarily requires the creation of another American underclass. One that can only go so far, but still is taxed as equally as any other citizen. The "good ole days" that many speak of, does come with consequences.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When your grandparents and great grandparents were relatively young adults, the govt generally stayed out of their way. Such wasn't the case for mine. The second class citizenship my relatives endured, created a massive underclass which allowed certain segments of the nation to thrive, and in turn the nation with it. Those persons within the underclass, unlike illegals who send money back to their home nations, boosted the American economy by paying into the system. That system is thankfully long gone, but if one were to try and mimic it, then that necessarily requires the creation of another American underclass. One that can only go so far, but still is taxed as equally as any other citizen. The "good ole days" that many speak of, does come with consequences.

I just don't see why it is not possible to have 'good old days' 2.0 without having to beat anyone down. Just because it happened that way doesn't mean that in necessarily has to.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I just don't see why it is not possible to have 'good old days' 2.0 without having to beat anyone down. Just because it happened that way doesn't mean that in necessarily has to.

It almost certainly does. It as simple as looking at a bell curve. There must be winners, and there MUST be losers. For much of our nation's history, the govt picked the losers... for whatever reason you wish to believe, and because of that artificial selection, the country was able to thrive by always pre-selecting the losers. I would suppose that during the 80s we reached the standard that America should be. We're never going to return to the 40s and 50s when America, in the modern age, was most successful.... mainly because, for the most part we're outgrown our ignorance.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Why is it necessary to have a "good old days" 2.0 that ignores the truth of what 1.0 was? In software development, those iterations are known as "alpha" and "beta" releases. Those are where all the bugs were (hopefully). You go through those iterations to fix things that need fixed.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that those "good old days" were better for some than others. The goal should be to make THESE the eventual "good old days" for everyone. IMHO.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shocked-Cat.jpg

Top Bottom