• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd like to challenge your claim. Are you stating that someone who was barely making ends meet a year ago shouldn't have any problem paying double for gasoline this year? Some folks I know would certainly straighten you out on that one

I'd like to challenge your claim. Are you stating that someone who was barely making ends meet a year ago shouldn't have any problem paying double for gasoline this year? Some folks I know would certainly straighten you out on that one

How much does the average lower income family spend on gas a week? People **** and moan about gas prices but can easily run up a $50 bar tab in a single night. There are a Tom of temps at my factory making $10 an hour. I'd hate to guess how many new hair weaves and tattoos have been bought and paid for since they've been hired on. Let's see. What's more responsible. Spending my last $20 on beer or putting gas in my car so I can get to work and earn my next paycheck.

People complain about gas prices as though low prices are an entitlement.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have to call BS on this.

I ride a motorcycle, its not a Harley so it doesnt have outrageous maintenace costs, in fact I dont think I have spent more then 200 bucks on tires for it in the last 3 years..... And the bike itself cost me 400 bucks.

The bike gets 45 mpg easy, and I drive 2000 miles a month.

my other vehicle, gets 15 mpg.

That is a 378 dollar savings....

Which frankly, buys a heck of a lot of guns.

At least for me, and my poor boy ways, 400 bucks a month is nothing to sneeze at.

Dollar cost average your mileage.

3.5 quarts of synthetic and 1 filter costs me $45 every 2500 miles to do it myself.

1 new rear tire good for 10,000 miles installed is $230.

1 new front tire good for 20,000 miles installed is $200.

Insurance for motorcycles are higher than cars. Parts are more expensive. I can buy a full set of decent tires for a car good for at least 40,000 miles for not much more than 1 rear tire for my bike.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Getting away from motorcycles, the price of a barrel of oil futures dropped over $5 today, which for some reason triggered a halt in trading of oil futures. Rumor has it that when trading is reopened, the downward fall will continue.

Current trading at $98.50/barrel.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i loved the part where he says "you might have a big family, but not that big."

and then is told he has to fit atleast himself and 10 others in the vehicle and does not know how to respond.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Is gas so expensive that it is literally busting your budgets? If so, I challenge your budget making abilities.

I drive 25 miles one way to work 5-6 days a week on average in a car that gets about 25 mpg or a Harley that I'm lucky to get 40 out of. The high maintenance costs of it blow any "gas savings" out of the water. My wife drives about 8 miles one way to work in the car if I have the bike or a truck that gets about 10 mpg. Maybe I should buy a third vehicle that gets 40 mpg. Oh wait, the plates and insurance would far outweigh any "gas savings".

It cracks me up how much time, energy, and money people will waste to save a few cents a gallon.

In a management class I called someone out that was talking about how they traded in 2 SUVs that they owned outright on a brand new civic (that they ended up still owing on because they have no clue how to work a deal on a car) because the 10 mile round trip driving to work was killing their budget. One of the SUVs was a CR-V and the other was an S-10 Blazer so they both got decent mpg. When I called him out on it, he ran the numbers during class and realized he made a pretty bad deal to cut gas costs some as now he has to drive his wife to work in the opposite direction and then go to work, pay a car payment, have full coverage insurance on a new car, and still buy gas. He realized that he was spending about $100-150 more every month now.

Stupid people are stupid.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    In a management class I called someone out that was talking about how they traded in 2 SUVs that they owned outright on a brand new civic (that they ended up still owing on because they have no clue how to work a deal on a car) because the 10 mile round trip driving to work was killing their budget. One of the SUVs was a CR-V and the other was an S-10 Blazer so they both got decent mpg. When I called him out on it, he ran the numbers during class and realized he made a pretty bad deal to cut gas costs some as now he has to drive his wife to work in the opposite direction and then go to work, pay a car payment, have full coverage insurance on a new car, and still buy gas. He realized that he was spending about $100-150 more every month now.

Stupid people are stupid.

Just like the idiots who buy a hybrid thinking they're going to save a fortune on gas. For the thousands extra it costs to get a hybrid version and a few extra mpg, they have to drive hundreds of thousands of miles to break even. But they saved a few bucks on gas. That is until the .gov charges a higher fuel tax on more fuel efficient vehicles. But if they're dumb enough to think they're saving money by buying a hybrid, they'll be dumb enough to still buy them with higher gas taxes.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    it has nothing to do with futures prices, or speculation or fears from disasters. it is all about greed. that and the fact that they know they've got us. no matter what they charge, we pay it. what are we going to do, go without? gotta gt to work some how. gotta get the kids to schools some how. gotta go where ever you need to go. we keep buying it so why the hell wouldn't they keep raising the prices?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    it has nothing to do with futures prices, or speculation or fears from disasters. it is all about greed. that and the fact that they know they've got us. no matter what they charge, we pay it. what are we going to do, go without? gotta gt to work some how. gotta get the kids to schools some how. gotta go where ever you need to go. we keep buying it so why the hell wouldn't they keep raising the prices?

Then buy or rent a place within walking distance to all those things. You are aware that there are people living in cities who have never owned a car, right? Now how are you forced to buy gas? Buy a horse and ride it to work. See how much it costs you to feed it and compare it to what it costs you to drive to work. I'd much rather spend $10 in gas and drive my 25 miles in 30 minutes instead of taking hours on a horse.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wish they'd just go ahead and nationalize the oil industry and rid us of the big oil greed. It will be just as good for us as national health care.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wish they'd just go ahead and nationalize the oil industry and rid us of the big oil greed. It will be just as good for us as national health care.

I'd rather go back to paying $.99 a gallon than having national health care. I only go to a dr. when I NEED to.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    And I wish coke was still a nickel because I drink a lot of it. But I in no way, shape or form want the government interfering with the pricing of coke. That's what all these complaints ultimately are. People want the government to lower gas prices. Wait and see how much gas costs when government regulates pricing.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Are any of you watching the Town Hall Meeting on CBS right now? Our POTUS just finished his "hybrid" pitch as it relates to fuel prices as well as saying that he has directed the Atty General to investigate price gouging. He made no mention that companies like Exxon who posted a 53% profit increase in the 4th quarter of 2010.

What the...???

He's now being asked by an ex-Federal employee about losing her job and what she can do now to find another.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Are any of you watching the Town Hall Meeting on CBS right now? Our POTUS just finished his "hybrid" pitch as it relates to fuel prices as well as saying that he has directed the Atty General to investigate price gouging. He made no mention that companies like Exxon who posted a 53% profit increase in the 4th quarter of 2010.

What the...???

He's now being asked by an ex-Federal employee about losing her job and what she can do now to find another.

Start your own oil company and hold your profit increases to 10% or less. You'll be filthy stinking rich after taking all their customers with your cheaper gas.

Do you guys hold yourselves to the same standards as corporate America? You start up a new business putting in 70-80 hour weeks and barely make ends meet. The next year, you scrape out a $50,000 salary for yourself. A few years down the road after much blood, sweat, tears and ulcers, you're making $200,000 a year. Are you going to lower your prices to keep your quarterly profit increases below 53%? Are you going to voluntarily give up any excess profit the government deems a windfall? If you aren't going to do those things, then why the hell should "we as consumers" expect the same from corporate America?

I wonder how many here complaint have oil company shares in their retirement accounts.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne

If only Americans would check their tire pressures and get alignments, then we wouldn't care about high gas prices.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Start your own oil company and hold your profit increases to 10% or less. You'll be filthy stinking rich after taking all their customers with your cheaper gas.

Do you guys hold yourselves to the same standards as corporate America? You start up a new business putting in 70-80 hour weeks and barely make ends meet. The next year, you scrape out a $50,000 salary for yourself. A few years down the road after much blood, sweat, tears and ulcers, you're making $200,000 a year. Are you going to lower your prices to keep your quarterly profit increases below 53%? Are you going to voluntarily give up any excess profit the government deems a windfall? If you aren't going to do those things, then why the hell should "we as consumers" expect the same from corporate America?

I wonder how many here complaint have oil company shares in their retirement accounts.

Corporate Profit, (Greed in this case) vs Good Corporate Moral Conduct. Big difference friend. How much money is too much??? When any corporation blatantly gouges the very customer that pays their bills and contributes massively to sucking the economy dry... Kind of sounds like politics to me. I guess when we are all living the above-mentioned mindset, things will go so much better.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Corporate Profit, (Greed in this case) vs Good Corporate Moral Conduct. Big difference friend. How much money is too much??? When any corporation blatantly gouges the very customer that pays their bills and contributes massively to sucking the economy dry... Kind of sounds like politics to me. I guess when we are all living the above-mentioned mindset, things will go so much better.

Paging Ellis Wyatt, paging Ellis Wyatt.

Did you just lift that from an Obama campaign speech?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got a brilliant idea. All of those upset with big oil should pool their money together and start their own oil company. They can practice their good corporate moral conduct. Then those of us who really understand how the free market works can place bets on the chip board on how long your Taggart Oil Company stays in business with James at the helm.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I've got a brilliant idea. All of those upset with big oil should pool their money together and start their own oil company. They can practice their good corporate moral conduct. Then those of us who really understand how the free market works can place bets on the chip board on how long your Taggart Oil Company stays in business with James at the helm.

Come on man. You know as well as I do that this ain't working. Statis quo Conservatism and Corporate Greed played a big part in putting NObama and his cronies in office. And that's what you are preaching here--statis quo.

The lack of an ethical and moral standards in today's "business as usual" is not doing our economy any good. Conservatives--as well as corporations--need to wake up and smell the coffee or they going to get our backsides handed to them again in 2012. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Top Bottom