• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Don't know if these fit the 2.0 or not. You'd have to contact them to find out. A 5" barrel will be aftermarket only in 357 Sig, as S&W never made a 5" M&P in that caliber, so no factory 5" barrels. At least I don't think they ever made one. I know they made the regular service models in 357 Sig (4.25" barrel), but they discontinued them.

Honestly, I'd just stick with 40 S&W. With a 5" barrel, an Underwood 135 grain JHP will be over 1400 fps. Personally, I'd go with a little heavier bullet for sectional density and run a 165 grain JHP. An Underwood 165 grain is listed at 1200 fps/528 ft. lbs, and that's probably with a 4.25" barrel. Should be really thumping out of a 5" barrel. For woods use, a 40 S&W 200 grain flat nose hard cast out of a 5" barrel should bust through anything this side of the Rockies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve been known to harbor a .40 or two in the collection over the years. You really can tell the difference between a gun designed for .40 and one modified from a 9mm frame most times. Not always though. My CZ SP01 in .40 will shoot just as soft as the Sig P229 or S&W 4006. You do feel a difference in the G23, P07 or 40P when compared to the 9mm variants though. Not a huge difference, but a difference.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I got into the .40 S&W game way late. I remember first seeing them mostly in Glocks, and seeing the blown out cartridge cases and just wrote them off as too picky. Then almost 30 years later I had a job that had Beretta model 96 as standard. Over time I came to appreciate it. No blown out cases, not picky with ammo, and capable of anything required. Then I learned about gen 1 unsupported chambers. The problems were the pistols, not the round.

.45acp is still my number one but it had a long head start. I think if the .40 S&W started in 1911 with the semi auto Colt, we would openly embrace it as the standard to judge others against.

Enjoy your new pistol!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You really need to warn people before you write something this funny. I think I just hurt myself...
    Before this I though describing them as sponge bob triggers was the best. I like hammer fired pistols but understand the striker fired idea.

still attempting to handle the double to single action trigger on the sig. just when I think I got it I shoot high then low. Then I don’t even think about it and it seems to not exist.
    maybe I think to much

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Before this I though describing them as sponge bob triggers was the best. I like hammer fired pistols but understand the striker fired idea.

still attempting to handle the double to single action trigger on the sig. just when I think I got it I shoot high then low. Then I don’t even think about it and it seems to not exist.
    maybe I think to much

A Laserlyte training cartridge helped me a lot with that. Spending days while working from home target shooting stuff in my office with a DA pull and the laser dot really helped with trigger control. It was also really good for stress relief too

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    In one move I broke two promises that I had made to myself. 1) I bought a plastic gun. 2) It is .40 cal.

What is next? Voting Democrat?

Seriously though, the .40 cal guns are cheap and the ammo is as relatively cheap as the gun. So, for all you that think I 'just woke up' or that I 'came to the winning side' and all that, it was just monetary reasons only.

I bought the S&W M&P 40 2.0 with the 5 inch barrel. I have had thoughts of getting a .357 Sig barrel for it. No joy on trying to find one. Can you get a 9mm barrel and have it rechambered? If anyone knows please tell me.

I just can't seem to lower my standards enough to 'like' the triggers on these plastic guns. A 'bad' one feels like you are trying to pull a seed out of some persimmon pulp and a 'good' one feels like you are trying to find the drain plug in the bottom of the drain pan. Why don't they just disguise the trigger guard as an anus and tell you to 'tickle the hemorrhoid' and be done with it? I guess they have trained two generations of proctologists with them already and don't want to stir up the masses by putting a real trigger on them.

The concessions we make for the availability of ammo...

I've had an M&P 45 for a few years. I generally like the gun, but I DESPISE the trigger beyond belief. The only handgun I've ever had with a worse trigger was a Colt Mustang I had years ago. The Mustang trigger felt like you were dragging a brick across a gravel driveway, but at least you could tell when it was going to break

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've had an M&P 45 for a few years. I generally like the gun, but I DESPISE the trigger beyond belief. The only handgun I've ever had with a worse trigger was a Colt Mustang I had years ago. The Mustang trigger felt like you were dragging a brick across a gravel driveway, but at least you could tell when it was going to break
    Question are Shield 45acp triggers the same or different trigger that the full size 45acp?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Question are Shield 45acp triggers the same or different trigger that the full size 45acp?
    My Shield 45 and M&P 45 2.0 full size have about the same trigger to me. I think the 2.0 triggers are pretty good. Better than stock Glock triggers, anyway. I know the Gen 1 M&Ps didn't have the best triggers, but not as bad as some people make them out to be.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Welcome to the dark side.
    And, with a .357 SIG barrel, you can shoot two (2) different calibers through the same pistol, and then pick your favorite!
    .357 SIG pushes the 9mm (.355 diameter) round to velocities that allows it to perform the way it was designed to perform.
    .40 S&W caliber will allow you to shoot a heavy enough bullet (above 150 grain) that generates it's own momentum in creating energy that aids in penetration. Plus, ammo prices have come back down!
    As an 'old man' you are allowed a few 'irrational' decisions that still make livin' fun! Woot!

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    .40 has become my favorite caliber to reload. The straight case and no multi primer sizes make it an easy one to run on the press. Plus, you can load some really mild stuff to stuff that edges close to 10mm starting loads. An added bonus is that a lot of folks don't like .40 so brass is easy to come by.

Top Bottom