• tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Actually no.. none
    The lady I bought a gun collection from I’m going to contact and I will sell it for her. I bought several guns from her in a collection. It was her late fathers .. a Vietnam veteran that I became friends with. Long story short she was not getting proper money for the guns she had. So I bought it all and in it there were 2 .22’s I bought them for my grandkids ..and I thought it needed parts..
    SO I am going to sell it and give her the money for it
    I am curious what it would sell for or it’s value. Any help would be appreciated where to list it.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    4-5. $450 would be the price, unless someone eats you up on condition. But I would let it go to the right person, to be fair to the gun. There's probably plenty here.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    The stock is what shows the most wear. Not bad but it’s there. I liked it just because I like old bolt action.22’s. But now even more!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The model 100 was made between 1935 and 1959.
    American manufacturers stopped producing the conical ball in the 1940's.
    This would date the gun from late 30's to 1940's.

Marlin went through a reorganization in 1921 and changed its name to the Marlin Firearms Corporation. Marlin failed and went into receivership in 1923.
    The 2 years it was Marlin Firearms Corporation doesn't sound like good years, and they probably had left over stock.
    My purely unscientific theory is after the model 100 came out in 1935, they made a few for the shooting galleries to push the new bolt action rifles. Because, before that time, you would go to a gallery and shoot a pump action. I believe the barrels on the gallery guns are old stock. They couldn't use the old roll stamped barrels on new production rifles, so they used the old stock on the gallery guns. I'll even assume the galleries got these next to nothing just so Marlin could get the gun in people's hands. Shoot on Sunday, buy on Monday.
    That's one way of explaining the old rollmark on a newer gun. And they all have the rollmark, and the production guns don't.

Now back to the cartridges. The modern 22 caps are the same cartridge as the 22 short or 22LR. The caps this gun would have shot would have been the ones that went out of production, and had an OAL of .520 in. The modern 22 short caps, using a standard cartridge, has an OAL of .888 in.
    I don't have any idea if the gallery gun would shoot modern cartridges. Maybe the old barrels were chambered for them, maybe not. Maybe you couldn't be able to put one in a gallery gun for safety reasons, because what if someone did and it went through the backstop. Maybe the rollmarked barrels was a way of designating these to the gallery guns. You can have the chamber checked first if you did want to shoot it.
    I did read about one of these Marlin gallery guns someone bought in a pawn shop for $50, it's barrel is marked as being rechambered, and it shoots modern ammunition. So there's an argument to have it checked first.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It’s stamped for short- long- long rifle

That's good. There's not a lot of information on these.

I read in another forum that caps were shot in it. And caps were smaller during the time. It got me thinking if it was chambered different.

So it's a shooter.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom