• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    No, seriously, my collection would be what you call eclectic. It may be time to trim a branch so other may grow. I am just not sure which branch to trim...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Just picked up the Winchester M1 Garand. It is sweet but I need to see how it shoots.

It has a WRA barrel that has a TE of 2.5 and a MW of 1. The barrels aren't dated so it can't be said it is original to the receiver but I don't care if it is or isn't, with specs like that it should be a shooter.

The receiver is a late 1943 and they aren't making any more...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Brought home a Frankenwinnie today.

Winchester model 1917 with a stainless bull barrel chambered in 45-70.

Custom stock, Leupold scope mount and 3-9x50.

The internal mag will hold three, one shot for each person needed to carry it through the woods...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, I must be talking to myself but if that is as bad as it gets...

OMG, I shot the Frankenwinnie today. I changed scopes from the one in the pic to a BSA Platinum 8-32x44 for better eye relief. I used 405gr JSP at 100y.

This thing is da bomb. Sight bored it and it took 2 shots to zero and then a 5 shot group all touching at 100y from a lead sled.

It was customized down in Kentucky somewhere, it says "A. Stahl" on the barrel. I know what I am hunting with this fall.

If I wasn't so hot ant tired I would take the M1 out but my brother had brought over some of his to sight in. Fun day...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You have GOT to shot this thing!

Oh, and the buffer for the 1907 finally came in the mail yesterday and I put it in this morning.

We owe it to ourselves...

Sign me up! Leadeye had me shooting a 45-70 six shooter, a 20 pound rifle will feel like a .22. :D

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, the Winchester M1 looks better than it shoots. Don't get me wrong, it functions flawless and will put 2 clips in an 8 inch square at 100 yards but my Springfield shooter does much better.

I put the new CMP furniture on it after I cleaned and lubed it and it will enter the realm of "Queen".

Oh, the Frankenwinnie is a Winchester P14 rather than a 1917 receiver as I previously reported. I hear the Brits weren't to happy with the early "W" P14's, had something to do with parts interchangeability with the Rem and Eddystones.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I learned something new today. Model 12 shotguns are able slamfire!!! I thought it was only the Ithaca's

my Winchester model 100 semi-auto in 308 win was recalled & a two-piece firing pin installed because of slam-fire issue.

I did not have it happen to me. Have had slam-fire on a Norinco SKS had something to do with triangular shape of the firing pin orientation. was not a pleasant experience.:)

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    A special thank you to Leadeye. Your legacy lives on.

hmEp8rZ.jpg

Top Bottom