• KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I rationalized it by thinking, "It is one obsolete caliber for another..."
    32-20 ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to come by. About 60-70 cents per round versus $2 plus per round of .351. I say keep them both. Win/win!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I'm gonna bite the bullet and keep them all. Getting some more as a matter of fact. The heck with cash, who needs it. Guns are much more fun.

Now, who here has used the Winchester .351 before? Not planning on making it a primary shooter or anything, maybe take the occasional deer on a pretty day. From what I have found it isn't much different than the .357, so pretty much a good 100 yard gun with open sights? Old eyes but steady hand...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm gonna bite the bullet and keep them all. Getting some more as a matter of fact. The heck with cash, who needs it. Guns are much more fun.

Now, who here has used the Winchester .351 before? Not planning on making it a primary shooter or anything, maybe take the occasional deer on a pretty day. From what I have found it isn't much different than the .357, so pretty much a good 100 yard gun with open sights? Old eyes but steady hand...
    Never seen one in person, but I’d be happy to shoot it for you. :D

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Yes, based on the ballistics it should be similar to a .357 magnum in performance. The only concern would be the lack of bullet options and whether or not the one(s) available would be suitable for hunting. I know Graf and Sons has a jacketed bullet for the .351 but it is a FMJ, I'm not sure others are available or if cast bullets are a possibility.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This one comes with 2 boxes of jacketed soft points which I would think to be an adequate projectile for Bambi. Pricey stuff, but it was part of the deal.

KJQ, if it shoots as good as it looks I wouldn't be embarrassed to have you give it a try.

I am picking up a Rock Island '03 and a Model 1917 from a friend also. His stuff is so cool. I think I have bought everything he has sold except for the H&R M1 I let my brother buy.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, the 07 is just too cool. Think heavy M1 carbine with more punch and fewer moving parts.

T.C. earned his keep when he came up with this one. I don't know why only 58,000 were made. I have had a Remington 8, 81 and now this Winny and I will take this over the rest even if the Rem was in .300 Savage.

The detachable mag from the factory is one of it's big pluses.

I always joke that for deer season you are only allowed to have $10 worth of ammo on you, guess I will need to get a 5 round mag...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Well, the 07 is just too cool. Think heavy M1 carbine with more punch and fewer moving parts.

T.C. earned his keep when he came up with this one. I don't know why only 58,000 were made. I have had a Remington 8, 81 and now this Winny and I will take this over the rest even if the Rem was in .300 Savage.

The detachable mag from the factory is one of it's big pluses.

I always joke that for deer season you are only allowed to have $10 worth of ammo on you, guess I will need to get a 5 round mag...
    You know we need pictures, right? Reading is hard. :D

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just love my all original 30WCF born in 1918. Complete with ladder sight this 20 inch barrel prints a quarter at 100 yards. 9D40444E-0628-4D48-82E2-FFE7C7230122.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    That is a sweet one. Lucky to have such a good shooter for the age too.

I don't come along guns like that on my budget. I have to get them after they have 'expired' and bring them back.

My granddad left me his model 12 and my brother a mint Springfield 1873 with all the fixins. It would have been nice if there was a few cowboy guns in there somewhere...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    That is a good looking saddle ring carbine Jim, and some very impressive eyes you have, to shoot groups like that.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Here it is. Made in 1956, one of the last 4000 or so made. I need to replace the buffer before I shoot it.

Attachments

• DSC05716.jpg
      DSC05716.jpg
      308 KB · Views: 12

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Here it is. Made in 1956, one of the last 4000 or so made. I need to replace the buffer before I shoot it.
    That is a beauty! Very nice!!!!

Forgive me, I made the pic bigger. It looks like it’s new.

ZY0EMBu.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It had been lovingly cared for it's whole life, it is easy to see.

The neat thing is when I put it to shoulder I can see both sights and what I am aiming at with my old eyes. Everything else I can see one of the three in focus but this one is like it was designed just for me.

It is as clean inside as out. The buffer is compressed to where it is almost metal on metal so that is a must fix.

One of the few guns made that has a premium on ones made after WWII, usually it is the other way round.

The bolt in this gun is HUGE! The bolt weighs 2.5 pounds! From just behind the ejection port to a few inches from the end of the forearm is all a one piece bolt. It is a simple blow back design. They say to make one in 30-06 would require a 24 pound bolt so that is why they were all made in the proprietary round of .351 WCF.

Metal butt plate, factory sling swivels, optional 10 round mag, I think I am in love...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My 'friend in firearms' who is thinning his collection says he may be selling his Winchester M1 Garand. That is one I have been wanting but thought it would always be out of my reach. It is a CMP 'service grade' purchased years ago so you know it is a nice firearm.

Now I need to decide how much of my stuff I need to sell to prepare for the possible purchase...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    My 'friend in firearms' who is thinning his collection says he may be selling his Winchester M1 Garand. That is one I have been wanting but thought it would always be out of my reach. It is a CMP 'service grade' purchased years ago so you know it is a nice firearm.

Now I need to decide how much of my stuff I need to sell to prepare for the possible purchase...

Step down from that ledge before you do something you’ll regret. There are always rational alternatives. You still have two kidneys, right? :D

Top Bottom