Oliver North steps down as NRA president.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Good riddance. Oliver North illegally funneled guns and money to Central American terrorists who killed women and children then lied about it to Congress. He's not honorable and he's not a patriot. If he exposed corruption within the NRA that we can root out and fix then he's at least done one redeeming thing in his life.

Had you asked him at the time under circumstances in which he could have answered candidly, he probably would have told you that allowing the USSR a foothold that close to the US wwith no water between us and them would be an unmitigated disaster and he did what he had to do in order to defend the republic against an immediate danger in spite of the same dumbasses that embrace communist ideology, refuse to defend our border, and have clear contempt for the Constitution they swore to uphold. What he did may not have been legal, but I have no question he did it for the right reasons. It clearly was NOT for personal gain.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    This seems relevant...

I knew Major North back I the early 80s, I was a Marine in Central America (read: Iran/Contra scam/illegal war)
    I wouldn't trust him with a potato gun, a nickel of my money, my dog or chewing gum & walking.

He was a CIA bag man while still in a Marine uniform that no one trusted even if they could keep an eye on him...

Apparently his career didn't work out as a used car salesman, like his political bids & talk show didn't work out.

Keep in mind he's a convicted felon, what a role model for the NRA, another pooch screw by the NRA...

He was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Gerhard Gesell on July 5, 1989, to a three-year suspended prison term, two years probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours of community service.
    He got last minute pardon from George HW Bush in 1991, everyone involved in Iran/Contra did.

He killed a class mate drunken driving while in the Naval Academy,
    His Viet Nam unit had one of the highest casulity rates, he got awards out the wazoo while he got his Marines killed.
    His nickname was 'Bunker Baby' since his troops
    rarely saw him.

What no Marine will ever forget, he is the officer that denied extra security requests for the Marine barracks in Lebanon, then got appointed to track down the group responsible, and failed at that too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good riddance. Oliver North illegally funneled guns and money to Central American terrorists who killed women and children then lied about it to Congress. He's not honorable and he's not a patriot. If he exposed corruption within the NRA that we can root out and fix then he's at least done one redeeming thing in his life.

Technically, he is not guilty of those charges. All of the convictions were reversed on appeal.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If we (INGO) had a non profit and I was the CEO then went out and charged over $200,000 in wardrobe from some of the most expensive stores around.

What would you do?

The NRA is in real danger of losing it non profit status due to real money scams from the elite of the NRA.

I hear the Clinton's are available to show how to properly run a "not for profit"...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I love colonel Oliver North. I want him back. Put him and Ted Nuggent in charge and let them toss out all the bad apples and actually start battling for our rights against the traitors in D.C.

I think we need a double. One for each douchebag.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

North is a convict. And for what he did he earned that label. That makes him a douchebag. Nugent is an idiot. He may sound like a friend to the 2A, and I believe he is sincere about that. But every time he opens his mouth, the stereotype is confirmed. The counterclaim for rabid anti-gun drivel isn’t the embodiment of the stereotype. Which Nugent is every bit of that. That makes him a douchebag.

I guess we have different ideas about what makes a real patriot.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He funneled money to anti commies in Nicaragua. The leftists tried to label him a traitor. They were salivating when he was to testify before Congress because they thought they would destroy him. He came in and destroyed the limp dick Democrats.
    I’m NOT left. I don’t think North is a Traitor. I think he thinks what he did is patriotic. It’s something a free society who values rule of law should not tolerate. I am not going to venerate the man just because he says some things I agree with.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think we need a double. One for each douchebag.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

North is a convict. And for what he did he earned that label. That makes him a douchebag. Nugent is an idiot. He may sound like a friend to the 2A, and I believe he is sincere about that. But every time he opens his mouth, the stereotype is confirmed. The counterclaim for rabid anti-gun drivel isn’t the embodiment of the stereotype. Which Nugent is every bit of that. That makes him a douchebag.

I guess we have different ideas about what makes a real patriot.
    Actually, technically he's not. Right?
    Ted Nugent wont compromise. He supports freedom and veterans. His words have you naked and ear **** you before you know what happened, because he is a passionate artist.
    Yes i believe they are both Patriots.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. Not a convict technically, according to a biased legal system, but a criminal none the less. He broke the law.

I don’t question Nugent’s loyalty to the 2nd amendment. I think he thinks he’s a great advocate. That alone is not sufficient for blind veneration of a human being, especially one who is a blowhard and is at least a little crazy. He deserves no pedestal higher than any other pro-2a person and I will not put him on one. I liked his music back in the late 70s. He should stick to music, publicly, and continue to support conservation, and the 2A privately. It would just be better for everyone. His contribution to the cause is not net positive, regardless of how much you might like his disposition.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    He funneled money to anti commies in Nicaragua. The leftists tried to label him a traitor. They were salivating when he was to testify before Congress because they thought they would destroy him. He came in and destroyed the limp dick Democrats.

That's my take.

...and I'm not just a potted plant...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's my take.

...and I'm not just a potted plant...

Given your profession, I am particularly interested on the answer you would give for this question: What are the legal implications for operating outside the boundaries of law in order to achieve a right or even lawful outcome that cannot be achieved while acting in lawful subordination to authorities who are either not acting within the law themselves or are in dereliction of their duties either through incompetence or willful sympathies which stand in conflict with constitutional responsibilities?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    People want to sleep safely in their warm beds at night and have their creature comforts, burgers and fireworks on 4th of july (whats that date for again anyways?), and they are content to be ignorant, until they find out the dirty details of what it takes by brave men and women to make that possible and suddenly they stand erect out of their zombie like state and become an expert on war fighting and bad guy killing and politics and international laws and negotiating and diplomacy and enhanced interrogation.
    People just need to keep on keeping their faces in their phones while they walk so the REAL world can work around them.

Cocky? Condescending? Yeah i meant it to be.
    I dont look at ALL people this way. You guys know the ones im talking about. I dont mean Jamil either, not directed at him at all and i mean that. Id say it if it was.
    I just have at least tried to never go into anyone elses place of work and tell them how to do their jobs. Except the occational times ive stuck my foot in my mouth talking about LEO stuff, but I've tried hard to stop doing that. I think the men and women who protect this country and do the dirty work do fantastic. Our enemies dont obey laws or operate within a box. Im not saying the US does anything illegal.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Show of hands, who is not a Colts fan for no other reason than the owner is Jim Irsay? How about lifelong Reds fans who defected to the Cubs or Cards because of Marge Schott?

Saturday I got to talk with Glen Caroline, the NRA-ILA Grassroots Director , (he works for Chris Cox, my POC works for him.) He's from Boston and wouldn't admit Tim Couch would be married to Gisele if he'd have gone in the 6th round, much less that Bill Belichick is Satan. I'm still an NRA-ILA volunteer.

A couple things I heard over the weekend seem appropriate to this thread:

"We aren't in panic mode, yet." My NRA-ILA POC

"When elephants go to war, it's the grass that suffers." Ken Blackwell (from an African Proverb)

"If there is no suffering on the vine, there is no character in the fruit." Ken Blackwell (from a sign in a winery)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    People want to sleep safely in their warm beds at night and have their creature comforts, burgers and fireworks on 4th of july (whats that date for again anyways?), and they are content to be ignorant, until they find out the dirty details of what it takes by brave men and women to make that possible and suddenly they stand erect out of their zombie like state and become an expert on war fighting and bad guy killing and politics and international laws and negotiating and diplomacy and enhanced interrogation.
    People just need to keep on keeping their faces in their phones while they walk so the REAL world can work around them.

Cocky? Condescending? Yeah i meant it to be.
    I dont look at ALL people this way. You guys know the ones im talking about. I dont mean Jamil either, not directed at him at all and i mean that. Id say it if it was.
    I just have at least tried to never go into anyone elses place of work and tell them how to do their jobs. I think the men and women who protect this country and do the dirty work do fantastic. Our enemies dont obey laws or operate within a box. Im not saying the US does anything illegal.

Well said. Had we not been blessed with patriots who were willing to operate outside the law I am satisfied we would all be living at the subsistence level in the shadow of the hammer and sickle waving in the breeze.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Im not saying the US does anything illegal.

Neither does the THEM.

tenor.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Given your profession, I am particularly interested on the answer you would give for this question: What are the legal implications for operating outside the boundaries of law in order to achieve a right or even lawful outcome that cannot be achieved while acting in lawful subordination to authorities who are either not acting within the law themselves or are in dereliction of their duties either through incompetence or willful sympathies which stand in conflict with constitutional responsibilities?

There are those who would say the government officials involved were assiduously trying to stay just inside the law. When dealing with malum prohibitum, I see no problem with that. When you nudge up against the line, ultimately whether you are on one side or the other is a matter of opinion and those of the prosecutors and a jury matter most. Government officials were convicted on "process" crimes, but only private fundraisers were convicted of sending money to the Contras and even then, it was a tax issue.

Oh, and Israel sent the weapons to Iran.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I’m NOT left. I don’t think North is a Traitor. I think he thinks what he did is patriotic. It’s something a free society who values rule of law should not tolerate. I am not going to venerate the man just because he says some things I agree with.

How far back do we go with that? Dec 1773 perhaps.

Top Bottom