• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    One Cop's Perspective on the "Militarization of Police" - Monderno

I've never been a big fan of police uniforms that look more and more like CURRENT military uniforms. May kind of look like an occupying force rather than to "serve and protect". My main thought on this is PR, not that I think police believe they are an occupying force. Just one guy's opinion. The clothing thing, the auther glosses over, but there's an interesting perspective here.

Thoughts INGO?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Some of the police chiefs I've seen on the news wear uniforms with so much bling they look like some sort of third world dictator.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Some of the police chiefs I've seen on the news wear uniforms with so much bling they look like some sort of third world dictator.

Weird! Some actually WANT to be a third world dicktator.

661b4ca76787745711698486690abef5

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What it gets down to is comfort, not image. The military used to have to wear at least Class B, if not Class A uniforms when not in the field. The A/B uniforms are very much like our current police uniforms.

What you are saying is that you do not like the use of field uniforms but would rather see police in the more formal Class B uniform (often with a tie).

But then there are many who would like to see the military dress up a bit more and drop the field uniform. Go back to the days when soldiers wore ties in the field.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    The author makes a good point, in my opinion. There is a viable need for adaptation by law enforcement, and the move toward military-style training and equipment is quite logical. His reference to "what is currently available to the general public" has merit, as I'm still waiting to see the valid justification for a department possessing an MRAP.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will agree with the article. I have friends in law enforcement and I want them equipped and comfortable. There are plenty of comfy clothing options and equipment that is available to the general public. I don't have a problem with specialized equipment. I do appreciate that there is and should be oversight for our officers. Rules protect all parties, especially the officers themselves.

That said, I do have concern about militarization of law enforcement. Another way to look at this is an us vs them mentality. I have never been a fan of using the term civilian outside of the military and I think we can come up withies appropriate titles then Major or Col to describe ranks in civilian law enforcement. I appreciate or offices but at the end of the day they are people doing a job the same as the rest of us poor slobs.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will agree with the article. I have friends in law enforcement and I want them equipped and comfortable. There are plenty of comfy clothing options and equipment that is available to the general public. I don't have a problem with specialized equipment. I do appreciate that there is and should be oversight for our officers. Rules protect all parties, especially the officers themselves.

That said, I do have concern about militarization of law enforcement. Another way to look at this is an us vs them mentality. I have never been a fan of using the term civilian outside of the military and I think we can come up withies appropriate titles then Major or Col to describe ranks in civilian law enforcement. I appreciate or offices but at the end of the day they are people doing a job the same as the rest of us poor slobs.

UK above Sargent is is Inspector, Chief Inspector and Superintend.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Question. Under the laws of war, are armed, uniformed, members of a police force fair game to attack?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Question. Under the laws of war, are armed, uniformed, members of a police force fair game to attack?

I will give my opinion. It is a stretch. Also I am not intimately familiar with the laws of war. But yes if a foreign government were to attack the US then I would consider any armed resistance to be fair game. At least in Indiana armed citizens would basically be militia. LEOs would be no different. I honestly can not say or comment how this would work in other countries but I do not personally consider civilian police officers to be part of the military.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have never been a fan of using the term civilian outside of the military and I think we can come up withies appropriate titles then Major or Col to describe ranks in civilian law enforcement. I appreciate or offices but at the end of the day they are people doing a job the same as the rest of us poor slobs.
    I have not seen a single media report/move/book/cartoon that referred to "non-LEOs" anything other than "civilian". It is so common that even the dictionaries now include it in their definition. I do not think it's being used as a jab and it certainly isn't the reason there is a rift between LEO/non-LEO. Quite frankly, the English language is such that we generally gravitate towards descriptive words that are easy to say. You will be hard pressed to find someone who would prefer to say "non law enforcement officer" (don't use LEO because most who are watching the news would not know what the letters stood for) than "civilian". As far as ranks go, a clear chain of command is essential to manage officers/depts. I have yet to see a "non-paramilitary" version of rank that is so easy to understand.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, during the Persian Gulf wars, lots of Iraqi PDs were intentionally targeted during sorties, whereas civilian establishments were generally purposefully ignored. Obviously, that was well before there were boots in the city.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes but in Iraq the Police were state sponsored and the distinction between military and police was little if any.

Civilian and non Civilian has become the accepted vernacular.

I disagree about the ranks. Officer, supervisior, sheriff, deputy, detective, inspector, chief, senior officer, even captain (yes we have those in the military as well) are all easy to understand. I suspect there is some history of using paramilitary rank in law enforcement. Probably because way back when former soldiers became civilian police. I am sure it is an interesting story

Top Bottom