• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On the topic... Hickok45 is currently dealing with a broken hand... so he did a video on one-handed pistol manipulation today.

[video=youtube;lyeKLHZhG84]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyeKLHZhG84[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube;dGv6s8VybxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGv6s8VybxQ[/video]

A little footage from the 2018 Indiana Section USPSA championship.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    But did you win the stage?

No. Most people ran up and dumped the bag in a barrel and shot with two hands. One guy in my squad said he was going run and shoot his way back because he cannot shoot with fundamentals with one hand. I was 28th out of 71 with that run. 28 alpha, 3 charlie and 1 Mike.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    No. Most people ran up and dumped the bag in a barrel and shot with two hands. One guy in my squad said he was going run and shoot his way back because he cannot shoot with fundamentals with one hand. I was 28th out of 71 with that run. 28 alpha, 3 charlie and 1 Mike.

Shouldn't it be some kind of penalty to drop the bag if that's part of the stage?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I don't ever live fire practice with one hand so I did it for the sake. To get the best time, the right way was to dump the bag and shoot front to back.

[video=youtube_share;7uNYlSOlThk]https://youtu.be/7uNYlSOlThk[/video]

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't ever live fire practice with one hand so I did it for the sake. To get the best time, the right way was to dump the bag and shoot front to back.

Concur. I wasn't there, and I kinda like one-handed shooting, but in a sport where you get extra points for finishing faster, if you have to cover the same ground 2x regardless, seems like you might as well get your hits strong-handed?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Concur. I wasn't there, and I kinda like one-handed shooting, but in a sport where you get extra points for finishing faster, if you have to cover the same ground 2x regardless, seems like you might as well get your hits strong-handed?

Shooting the stong handed can not have fast and accurate splits, so on that stage, it doesn't make since to shoot strong hand whether in production (due to reloads) and major powet factor divisions (recoil management). I realized it but I was balling rather than gaming.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

[video=youtube_share;7uNYlSOlThk]https://youtu.be/7uNYlSOlThk[/video]

You had a far better match than me. So obviously made the right decision. Congrats on the B Class win by the way.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Meh!
    The right way to do it is the fastest and most accurate way that you can do it. That's what makes it fun
    I shot some strong hand then went forward and shot my way back.
    Foot speed is not my strong suit and I didn't want to back all the way out. It worked out.
    Coach beat me like a drum on this one I believe.
    Congrats on the class win happy gunner

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    You had a far better match than me. So obviously made the right decision. Congrats on the B Class win by the way.

Thanks. I could have been faster if I just sprinted asap and just double tapped all the targets freestyle. I could have shaved off 2 sec or so.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No one can shoot the same splits SHO as they can with 2 hands on the gun and a proper grip. If you grip sucks you are shooting SHO and don't even know it. If you understand a few things about SHO shooting you can be pretty close to as fast. Someone like me who is not a fast runner the overall time on this stage should be close to the same with either set of tactics. A good SHO shooter and slow feet. Do what I did. Fast with the feet and suck at SHO then run and shoot your way back.

There is a best way to do it. But the same best way does not fit all people. I normally live and let live. But I saw some pretty stupid plans standing there watching two squads shoot it.

If you carry a gun for self defense. You should be practicing SHO. If you don't own 10-15 yards around you with your strong hand. You are not really armed. If you are a gamer. Many classifiers contain SHO. You should practice it. In both worlds you will be more well rounded if you practice it. WHO shooting as well.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks. I could have been faster if I just sprinted asap and just double tapped all the targets freestyle. I could have shaved off 2 sec or so.

I agree. If going to run up I would have suggested doing it right off the beep. You still had a great match.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I typically shoot with a very slight bend, and a very slight cant, when shooting one-handed. That's me. I'm also not a very good shooter.

From the last time I documented SHO/WHO shooting-

SHO, 20 yds:

SHO.jpg

WHO, 15 yds:

WHO.jpg

SHO was with a draw for each shot, 3.5- 4 sec for draw+shot.

WHO was from the ready. 2.5 - 3.5 sec for each.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I push for as many performance gains as I can with one hand.

Strong side forward
    Slight cant in on the gun to use bring in the anterior and middle heads of the deltoid
    Flagged thumb (only time I ever flag the thumb)
    Slight bend in elbow

I saw Tom teach that at the class I was in with him. I couldn't do it because of my knee but it did seem to help shooters. I think it's applicable because I end up shooting one handed in more FoF work than anything else. Getting on that front sight while moving and holding a light when someone is shooting back it at you is rough. But if you don't get on that front sight it will surely be a miss.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My philosophy on SHO and WHO shooting is to only change the things I have to change. I want all of my freestyle shooting experience to help me not hurt me. I don't like change as a rule and I think doing things different SHO or WHO is counter productive.

I don't change the cant of the gun. I don't change my stance or shift my feet. I don't lean in different or doing anything special. If I am using a flashlight I will use the neck index technique or the FBI method. The neck index is close to what I do in the gun games. I use the same eye shooting WHO or SHO. So I am naturally doing what I do not something special.

With only 1 hand on the gun the gun is going to recoil differently than with 2 hands on the gun. I have to manually put the gun back on target following each shot to a much great degree than I have to do with two hands on the gun. That takes a little more time but not much. Everyone is better with two hands on the gun if they have a proper grip. But over all if I call my shots and press the trigger well I will be fine SHO. The same is true for WHO but it is much harder to do. I am not left handed. In the games SHO and WHO is mainly about the points. On the street it is about getting a good hit with the first shot. Essentially the same thing one just hurts more than the other.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If I am using a flashlight I will use the neck index technique or the FBI method. The neck index is close to what I do in the gun games. I use the same eye shooting WHO or SHO. So I am naturally doing what I do not something special.

Curious, why no Harries?

Top Bottom