• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    hunting, battle, and everything in between may be of major concern when the trusty rifle is slung over your shoulder when SHTF.
    so......
    lets hear some opinions on some good "all encompassing" rifles that can do the job, and do it well.
    things to discuss, price, caliber, maintenance, dependability, etc.
    :patriot:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i dunno..ak or sks, or mosin, or for some an ar-15......or maybe an m-14.....how about a garand....who knows?

koutsevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    San Pierre, IN
    An ar would seem to be the best all around shtf rifle. Semi auto, magazine capacity, availability of ammo. This is depending on the state of shtf. I would suspect NATO ammo laying around. Thinking back to Red Dawn.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    AR 15

1. Effective Battle Rifle
    2. Common Caliber which means cheap to stock up on ammo and higher probability to find ammo in the future.
    3. Most widely used rifle platform in the US which means plenty of parts around for repairs or customization.
    4. .223 has plenty of power to hunt just about anything on this continent (even if it takes a couple of shots to down some of the larger stuff up north). And if .223 can't get the job done... a simple upper change and you can rock a caliber with more punch.
    5. Ability to shoot .22lr with a cheap conversion kit which can be silenced for hunting small game.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    AR 15

1. Effective Battle Rifle
    2. Common Caliber which means cheap to stock up on ammo and higher probability to find ammo in the future.
    3. Most widely used rifle platform in the US which means plenty of parts around for repairs or customization.
    4. .223 has plenty of power to hunt just about anything on this continent (even if it takes a couple of shots to down some of the larger stuff up north). And if .223 can't get the job done... a simple upper change and you can rock a caliber with more punch.
    5. Ability to shoot .22lr with a cheap conversion kit which can be silenced for hunting small game.

Agreed.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Actually it is what you have, can use and are stocked on ammo.

This is the best answer here.

But let's say for giggles we had the opportunity to choose.

I personally am going to mix things up here and throw out that a semi auto rifle chambered in .22 win mag would be extremely usefull. It is powerful enough to take down game for food and at the right ranges, it will certainly inflict big damage at the right spot to a person. It is quiet enough suppressed that it makes for a nice medium range (100-150 yard) sniper.

If that doesn't fit your taste, then for all intents and purposes, a piston driven AR cambered in .300 blackout is superb.

Don't like that? Well then, take along an anzio 20mm. who care about cost, ammo, and life? Just scare away everyone with a single shot :draw:

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I'd stand there with my safe open trying to remember the advice from all of these threads...AK? AR? Shotty? Wait - 22wmr, no grab the 30-30...I'd probably be shot and killed by looters without a gun even in my hands.

But right now in my rational, unstressed frame of mind I'd just grab the AK and if the OP wasn't looking I'd pick a second one too. Shhhhh... Probably the 22wmr bolt.

Top Bottom